Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Internet Port Dead?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi RBR50 Internet Port Dead?

Randomly tonight, the Orbi went out. When I checked the connection to the Comcast modem, the lights were not active/lit up for the connection from it to the Orbi. 

I connected a VPN router and the lights were active. I connected a laptop and the lights were active.

I performed a factory reboot and the lights were still inactive.

Any other suggestions one what I might do to trouble shoot this, or is it possible that my port is dead? 

Would appreciate any input and advice!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Internet Port Dead?

Is it just the WAN port or all ethernet ports?

Here's what i'd start with.

1. You've tried the factory reset. Great.

2. Try a new cable. Maybe something is wonky. 🙂 

3. Try reloading the firmware. Manually install the firmware (possibly try 1 version older) and reset it afterward.  Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection

4. If it didn't work, maybe something did fry the port. If you're not still within your warranty period, there is the option to mirror the wan port to lan port 1. go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm  (or whatever your orbi's ip address is) and check off the mirror wan port option. 

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback!

I've tried multiple cables--they were associated with the different devices and I was not clear there. I also cannot connect to the device to get on its wifi, so we're now at the replacement phase, which means there's a resolution, at least.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Is the light on the orbi on? You could try tftp to reinstall firmware.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

It is really annoying that Netgear "saved a dollar" by not putting connection and activity lights on the ethernet jacks.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I miss the days of having LED on the ports in back of routers. So nice to know that there is activity or not. Mfrs gotta save money somewhere. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I find it really interesting that I received an email stating that the above (swap cables) was accepted as a solution.

I didn't do that.

I'm not sure why Netgear would have something trigger this, or a moderator, or whatever.

I find this to be unethical when I have already stated that this didn't work and Netgear has replaced the unit.

I'm sharing for visibiltiy for others.

I do not think I'll continue to use these forums, nor do I feel comfortable using Netgear products in the future. This feels mighty suspect, especially for an organization that sells security and privacy as part of its solutions.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Not sure why you got that email as this thread isn't showing as solved.
Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Me, either. Hence the post.

I've attached a screen shot, software glitches and all, in the event anyone should infer that perhaps I'm being dishonest in any way.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

More like user mis-configuration. I get emails all the time from the forum. 

Sounds like it's solve anyways. Good luck in your endeavours. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 looks like he "retired" right after posting. 🙂 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I know he's left the forum. Thanks. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12