Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Mesh performance issues

fsoliveira
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Mesh performance issues

Hi guys, I hope all of you are well and safe.

I'm facing a performance issue for a while in my home network. I have a RBR50 + 2 RBS50 (version V2.5.1.8) and 1 RBW30 (version
V2.3.5.6). My apartment has 3000 sq ft and my topology is:

As you can see all the satellites are connecting directly to the router and the issue is with the RBS50 called "Orbi Sala" which is located at the sitting room. This specific AP is too far from the router and even trying all the recommended settings I could find here (thanks to FURRYE38 and the others) I can’t make it connect to the RSB50 called “Orbi Game Room” which is located in the middle of the apartment close to the Router. I did a factory reset after the last firmware upgrade and made the configuration from the scratch.

Unfortunately my apartment is old and the walls are made of thick concrete which blocks a lot of my signal and I can’t reach with cables the sitting room. 

My question is: Is there any way to force the sitting room AP to use the Game Room AP as a “bridge” to reach out to the RBR50 with better performance? I’ve tried to reduced the transmit power to all possible options with no chance at all. Since it’s not possible to disable the 2.4ghz radio I still have a few devices connecting to this radio causing performance issues.

Also, is that possible to force a device to connect to a specific satellite? I can see a few devices close to one satellite but they are connecting to the router far from them and the performance is impacted.

I am considering to change the solution although I find Orbi fantastic and use since 2017. My old apartment was smaller and I never had these issues.

Thank you all to the contribution in the forum. I hope there is a solution to my case.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Mesh performance issues

Have you tried enabling Daisy Chain? 

@fsoliveira wrote:
Hi guys, I hope all of you are well and safe.

I'm facing a performance issue for a while in my home network. I have a RBR50 + 2 RBS50 (version V2.5.1.8) and 1 RBW30 (version
V2.3.5.6). My apartment has 3000 sq ft and my topology is:

As you can see all the satellites are connecting directly to the router and the issue is with the RBS50 called "Orbi Sala" which is located at the sitting room. This specific AP is too far from the router and even trying all the recommended settings I could find here (thanks to FURRYE38 and the others) I can’t make it connect to the RSB50 called “Orbi Game Room” which is located in the middle of the apartment close to the Router. I did a factory reset after the last firmware upgrade and made the configuration from the scratch.

Unfortunately my apartment is old and the walls are made of thick concrete which blocks a lot of my signal and I can’t reach with cables the sitting room. 

My question is: Is there any way to force the sitting room AP to use the Game Room AP as a “bridge” to reach out to the RBR50 with better performance? I’ve tried to reduced the transmit power to all possible options with no chance at all. Since it’s not possible to disable the 2.4ghz radio I still have a few devices connecting to this radio causing performance issues.

Also, is that possible to force a device to connect to a specific satellite? I can see a few devices close to one satellite but they are connecting to the router far from them and the performance is impacted.

I am considering to change the solution although I find Orbi fantastic and use since 2017. My old apartment was smaller and I never had these issues.

Thank you all to the contribution in the forum. I hope there is a solution to my case.

Message 2 of 6
fsoliveira
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38, 

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I found that enabling it would change the topology and now, I have the sitting room AP connecting to the game room to reach out to the Router. I will adjust the location and move it closer to the game room AP to improve the connection.

Still facing performances issues mainly with 2.4Ghz frequency. I've set the transmit signal to 25% to try to "force" some devices to connect to 5Ghz but no luck. A few devices are still connecting to the 2.4Ghz radio.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz configurations? 

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Not much can be done there. If your environment is noisy, building materials are a factor and wifi devices pick and choose on there own to connect to the best signal, then will be hard to steer devices to 5Ghz. Since your build in made of concrete and steel, this will impact 5Ghz signal which maybe one reason why your devices prefer 2.4Ghz...

Message 4 of 6
fsoliveira
Aspirant

I agree with you. Ideally deploying more AP's would help but I have the limitation to pass cables. Making a wired backhaul would help. I will keep trying configs here and in case of any luck I will gladly share with you guys.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes wired ethernet would greatly help with that. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7