Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 No connection to ethernet wired devices

roborbi
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 No connection to ethernet wired devices

Firmware 2.7.2.104

MacOS computers.

3 or 4 days ago, my orbi lost connection with all of my ethernet hard wire devices.

Has there been a recent firmware upgrade?

I've noted that any hard wired device now has a new IP address starting with168.254.xxx.xxx. Orbi is no longer recongnizing these attached devices with the new 168.xxx addresses. I have about 7 or 8 of these ethernet hard wired devices. Most of these are connected to units that are part of an entertainment system. Unfortunately my control of these units is using Roomie Remote via IP. I now have no control of those devices via Roomie Remote.

I also use a number of Mac Computers that have static IP addresses via ethernet connections. These are no longer recognized by the Orbi router. I have attempted rebooting the router and changing various settings via the Orbi app and the Orbi router web page all to no avail.

I assume there was a firmware upgrade associated with the introduction of the new smart parental controls. 

Any suggestions regarding this issue or why the IP addresses would have changed to a completely new set of addresses that is now not working for my setup? or how the firmware upgrade could have affected this.

At least perhaps someone could point me in the right direction regarding settings? I assume there is a way to tell the router which set of IP addresses to allocate to devices via DHCP? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
roborbi
Tutor

All,

I have a final update on this issue.

Unfortunately I experienced the same weird IP address issues, even after switching out the RBR50 for the RBK852 router.

Going back to square one, I eventually tracked the issue down to a faulty ethernet connection on an old Blue-ray player in my entertainment system.

Hard to believe that one bad ethernet port could cause such havoc. While it didn't bring down the whole network, it did bring down any ethernet hard wired device on the network. Turns out that neither the Orbi nor an Orbi update was to blame.

So . . .  after switching over to the RBK852, as I said, I was still having issues getting any internet connection on any device using ethernet. 

The issue was hard to track down.

At first I thought I had lost the entire ethernet switch that was feeding my entertainment system. What I learned from CrimpOn earlier in the thread was that one bad ethernet connection was all it might take the throw things off. So . . .  by slowly connecting and disconnecting one device at a time on the switch, I was able to narrow the issue down to the ethernet port on the Blu-ray player being the culprit. Hook the BR player up via ethernet and strange 168.254 IP addresses started appearing. Take the Blu-ray out of the loop and bingo, ethernet was working properly again.

Kudos to CrimpOn. This nugget of information from him also helped solve the problem:

>> 168.254 is a valid IP address, although not one that an Orbi would assign.

169.254 is an IP address that a device self-assigns to itself when it cannot reach a DHCP server.

It did not come from the Orbi. <<

Thanks CrimpOn for sticking with it, offering advice, and continuing to ask the right questions.

Also thanks to Furrye38 for his helpful suggestions and support. We are lucky to have this community of experts that is willing to offer their

time and support and show an interest in helping solve our problems. You have made me feel validated by not treating me like the novice I know I am.

Roborbi

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 21

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@roborbi wrote:

Firmware 2.7.2.104

3 or 4 days ago, my orbi lost connection with all of my ethernet hard wire devices.

Firmware 2.7.2.104 was released in Feb, 2021 (three months ago).  Do you recall being prompted to undate firmware 3-4 days ago?

@roborbi wrote:

I also use a number of Mac Computers that have static IP addresses via ethernet connections. These are no longer recognized by the Orbi router. I have attempted rebooting the router and changing various settings via the Orbi app and the Orbi router web page all to no avail.

"Static IP" means (literally) that the network parameters in the device itself were set to a specific IP address.  If this is the case, then nothing done to the Orbi will change them.  Orbi has a mechanism to reserve or assign IP addresses to devices by putting their hardware MAC address in the Orbi LAN setup table. (Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup). This is also the place where the Orbi DHCP range is specified.  To avoid confusion, the typical practice is to use part of the IP subnet for those assignments and a different part of the IP subnet for the DHCP pool. (for example 1-99 for assignments and 100-200 for pool).  Are these "Static IP" addresses  actually "Static" or are they assignments?

Modern Apple and Android systems have a feature that gives the user a choice between using the actual hardware MAC address or a "made up" MAC address.  It is hard to manage device tables when the MAC addresses change all the time.

Has anything else changed recently?  A new modem?  New piece of entertainment equipment?  When devices use DHCP to learn their IP address, they will respond to the first DHCP server that answers their query.  There are entertainment systems which "network themselves" independently of the home network, which can wreak havoc on networks.

I think you have identified the key factor: where are these 168.254 IP addresses coming from?

I do not see firmware release as being relevant.

Message 2 of 21
Wilkins200
Aspirant

@PrepaidGiftBalance wrote:

Firmware 2.7.2.104

MacOS computers.

I've noted that any hard wired device now has a new IP address starting with168.254.xxx.xxx. Orbi is no longer recongnizing these attached devices with the new 168.xxx addresses. I have about 7 or 8 of these ethernet hard wired devices. Most of these are connected to units that are part of an entertainment system. Unfortunately my control of these units is using Roomie Remote via IP. I now have no control of those devices via Roomie Remote.

I assume there was a firmware upgrade associated with the introduction of the new smart parental controls. 

Any suggestions regarding this issue or why the IP addresses would have changed to a completely new set of addresses that is now not working for my setup? or how the firmware upgrade could have affected this.

At least perhaps someone could point me in the right direction regarding settings? I assume there is a way to tell the router which set of IP addresses to allocate to devices via DHCP? 

Interesting, is this ORBI at the latest firmware? If not I would try that. As well, what about a factory reset and then test again? Maybe?

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wilkins200 wrote:

Interesting, is this ORBI at the latest firmware? If not I would try that. As well, what about a factory reset and then test again? Maybe?

2.7.2.104 is the latest official firmware for this model of Orbi router.

Message 4 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

Hi CrimpOn,

Thanks for your response.

Very valuable and interesting information about static IP addresses. Especially the part about the Orbi using the hardware MAC address in the LAN setup table. I had forgotten this tidbit. I also agree that a recent firmware update is probably not the culprit. Now knowing that the last Orbi firmware update was three months ago and 2.7.2.104 is the latest update.

Up until a week ago all was operating as it should on my home network. This has been the case for a couple of years now.

Recently however, any device connected via a hard wired Ethernet connection to the network via the orbi is having an issue. (This includes all computers that are hard wired to the network – 2 iMacs).

I do have two new recently acquired pieces of equipment in my entertainment system.

A  new Denon receiver and a new Sony TV.

Both have an Ethernet port and Wi-Fi capability.

I have chosen not to use Wi-Fi as a connection for an entertainment streaming device however. I am experiencing dropped frames.

Both of these devices, as well as any Ethernet wired device in the house, is having the same issue in regards to an assigned static IP address.

Upon attempting to set these two new devices up to have Static IP addresses:

I turn off the device Wi-Fi function.

I manually set them up to have a static 192.168.xxx.xxx address.

Unfortunately after setting these to static addresses and checking the connection, I get a warning that the device (Sony TV or Denon receiver) is not connected to the internet.

Upon troubleshooting this problem. I get a warning from the device (Sony TV) that “the router function of the Orbi router may be turned off.”

Which turns out to be, I think, untrue because upon checking the Orbi settings, the Orbi is set to act as a router (NOT AP).

When I turn off the static IP address settings and turn on DHCP, allowing the Orbi to assign the IP address. Again: no internet access is the result. I believe because a 168.254.xxx.xxx address has been assigned??

I have done a complete reset to factory settings. Nothing is shaking loose or changing. Any new thoughts?

Looks like Wi-Fi 6 may be in my future.

Thanks again for your help.

Roborbi

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the LAN cables between the RBR and these two devices are of good quality. CAT6 is recommended. 

Power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds while leaving these two devices ON. Ensure the devices are set to auto obtain IP addressesing. Then turn the RBR back ON. After the RBR is ready, do these two devices pick up a IP address from the RBR? 

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@roborbi wrote:

Upon attempting to set these two new devices up to have Static IP addresses:

I turn off the device Wi-Fi function.

I manually set them up to have a static 192.168.xxx.xxx address.

Unfortunately after setting these to static addresses and checking the connection, I get a warning that the device (Sony TV or Denon receiver) is not connected to the internet.

Upon troubleshooting this problem. I get a warning from the device (Sony TV) that “the router function of the Orbi router may be turned off.”

I might be worth checking on the Orbi LAN Setup page to ensure that the Orbi IP subnet begins with 192.168.

(I've attached a screen shot of mine)  Notice I have set aside IP's 2-70 for "assignment" and have the DHCP pool running from 71-99.

When a device requests an IP address, the DHCP server (Orbi) provides these items:

IP address: 192.168.1.?? (assuming it is using the 192.168.1.x subnet)

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway Address 192.168.1.1 (the Orbi)

DNS Server 192.168.1.1 (the Orbi)

When a device is set up with a static IP, all four of these items have to be set.  If the subnet is wrong, the device will not be able to find the gateway. If the gateway is wrong, the device will not be able to find the internet.  What some people like to do is set the device to use a different DNS server than the Orbi (for example 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.  That's OK, as long as there IS a DNS server.

Message 7 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

Hi Furrye38,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I followed your directions and unfortuntely they didn't work.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

robert

Message 8 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

CrimpOn,

Thanks for the suggestion and your continued attention to this.

Unfortunately those settings for the LAN setup match the settings I have been using.

Any further thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

robert 

Message 9 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@roborbi wrote:

Unfortunately those settings for the LAN setup match the settings I have been using.

Sorry to continue beating a dead horse.

Suppose one of the iMac's is configured with a static IP (in the iMac network setup) of

IP address 192.168.1.201 (I am guessing that IP has not already been used for some device so it is 'available')

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS server 192.168.1.1

Where does the mysterious 168.254.xxx.xxx IP address appear?

• In the iMac?
  • In the Orbi web interface Attached Devices screen?

Does the iMac continue to insist that it has no internet?

Message 10 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

Where does the mysterious 168.254.xxx.xxx IP address appear?

• In the iMac?
  • In the Orbi web interface Attached Devices screen?

Does the iMac continue to insist that it has no internet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The 168.254 address appears on the iMac when the iMac is attached to the Orbi via an Ethernet connection. The Orbi supplies the address when the device (iMac) is set to get an IP via DHCP.

Unfortunately this address does not allow the iMac to access the internet.

In Network settings on the iMac, these are the settings that show up:

Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and

will not be able to connect to the internet

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IP Address: 169.254.11.165

Subnet Mask: 225.255.0.0

The 168.254 address does not show up on the Orbi. NONE of the hard wired Ethernet attached devices in the house on the network are showing up in the attached devices on the Orbi. 

Unless the iMac is attached via Wi-Fi to the Orbi. It will insist it has no internet.

roborbi

Message 11 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@roborbi wrote:

In Network settings on the iMac, these are the settings that show up:

Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and

will not be able to connect to the internet

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IP Address: 169.254.11.165

Subnet Mask: 225.255.0.0

This is the important clue.  168.254 is a valid IP address, although not one that an Orbi would assign.

169.254 is an IP address that a device self-assigns to itself when it cannot reach a DHCP server.

It did not come from the Orbi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address 

Is the iMac connected directly to the Orbi?  (not through any type of switch or in-wall cabling?

Message 12 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

That iMac goes through two switches that will be fairly easy to take out of the loop.

I can do this tomorrow, test, and get back to you with the results.

The other ethernet connections in the house also go through a switch that feeds the entertainment room equipment.

Let's see how tomorrow's test goes.

roborbi

Message 13 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

Hi CrimpOn,

Just finished my testing with all ethernet switches out of the system and every ethernet cable disconnected from the orbi except the one ethernet direct to the iMac.

I did an orbi reboot and an modem reboot to get the system back up.

Unfortunately there has been no change in the status of the ethernet connections from yesterday.

Direct ethernet connections still not happening.

roborbi 

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So is the iMac the only device not getting an IP address. If so, I would review the configuration and hardward of the iMac. Possible the LAN port or adapter card with in the iMac has gone bad. Connect the iMac via wireless or get you a USB to ethernet adapter and test. There fairly inexpensive. 

What generation iMac do you have? 

What OSX version is loaded? 

Message 15 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this Orbi still within the one year warranty?

If more than one ethernet device fails to connect directly to the Orbi LAN ports (no switches, no cabling, no wall jacks, different ethernet cables), this is an obvious case for a warranty replacement.

From post #1, it appears that everything was working until recently, and this is not a case of "I updated firmware to 2.7.2.104 and immediately my LAN ports failed to work."

Although it is a chore and I see no logical reason why it should accomplish anything, there is no harm in manually loading a previous firmware on the Orbi, such as v2.5.2.4.  That is:

• Save a copy of the current configuration.
  • Download v2.5.2.4 for the router from the Netgear support site:
    https://kb.netgear.com/000062319/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-2-4
  • Also download a copy of 2.7.2.104 for the router
  • Use the Advanced Tab, Administration menu, Firmware Update, Manual Update tab to load 2.5.2.4 on the Orbi router.
    Do not do anything to the satellites.
  • When the router reboots after the firmware update, test the ethernet LAN ports before doing anything else.
  • If the LAN ports now work, then it was something about the firmware.
  • If the LAN ports continue to fail, then I fear a hardware failure.
Message 16 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

Hi Furrye38,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately this is not an issue with just the one device (iMac). It is an issue with every device connected to the Orbi via an ethernet connection. I have 6 - 7 such devices in my home network.

The iMac is an iMac Pro. Only a couple years old. Latest version of Mac OS.

Unfortunately, I think the issue goes beyond the individual computer.

Message 17 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

CrimpOn,

Unfortunately the unit is out of warrenty. More than a couple years old.

Thanks for the instructions on how to downgrade the firmware. I will consider.

I'm fairly certain the upgrade to the latest firmware happened 3 months ago however.

And up until 5 days ago all was working well.

My gut tells me it's a hardware failure.

Been looking for an excuse to go Wi-Fi 6. 

I guess the orbi gods have answered.    : > (

roborbi

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance you have a spare router? Something you can swap in to check this with a different router? 

Message 19 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

Yes. I have a new RBK852 Wi-Fi 6 unit arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know how the switch over goes.

roborbi

Message 20 of 21
roborbi
Tutor

All,

I have a final update on this issue.

Unfortunately I experienced the same weird IP address issues, even after switching out the RBR50 for the RBK852 router.

Going back to square one, I eventually tracked the issue down to a faulty ethernet connection on an old Blue-ray player in my entertainment system.

Hard to believe that one bad ethernet port could cause such havoc. While it didn't bring down the whole network, it did bring down any ethernet hard wired device on the network. Turns out that neither the Orbi nor an Orbi update was to blame.

So . . .  after switching over to the RBK852, as I said, I was still having issues getting any internet connection on any device using ethernet. 

The issue was hard to track down.

At first I thought I had lost the entire ethernet switch that was feeding my entertainment system. What I learned from CrimpOn earlier in the thread was that one bad ethernet connection was all it might take the throw things off. So . . .  by slowly connecting and disconnecting one device at a time on the switch, I was able to narrow the issue down to the ethernet port on the Blu-ray player being the culprit. Hook the BR player up via ethernet and strange 168.254 IP addresses started appearing. Take the Blu-ray out of the loop and bingo, ethernet was working properly again.

Kudos to CrimpOn. This nugget of information from him also helped solve the problem:

>> 168.254 is a valid IP address, although not one that an Orbi would assign.

It did not come from the Orbi. <<

Thanks CrimpOn for sticking with it, offering advice, and continuing to ask the right questions.

Also thanks to Furrye38 for his helpful suggestions and support. We are lucky to have this community of experts that is willing to offer their

time and support and show an interest in helping solve our problems. You have made me feel validated by not treating me like the novice I know I am.

Roborbi

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7