Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Not Connecting

awhipple11
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Not Connecting

I have the RBR50 mesh system and it will not work properly after working perfectly for 2+ years. I've done the reset 5+ times and still have no luck. It says it's connected but when I go do a speed test it says its at 2.0 Mbps. No webpages will load, apps, etc. 

Any suggestions or is the system dead? 

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR50 Not Connecting

I tried to update it multiple times but it says "error". 

Message 2 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

V2.7.2.104

Message 3 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

Will do. I'm assuming I have to do the manual update?

Message 4 of 21
mrputtputt
Tutor

I actually had the same problem not very long ago. Maybe 1 month. My pc - desktop or laptop - just keeps getting disconnected and I'm hardwired via ethernet cat5e. From same machine, I cannot connect to wifi. On the other room, family can watch  and stream on roku or use their laptops. I switched ethernet cables - same problems. I bought new cables (cat6) and same results. I downgraded the firmware to last version and same results. I also did a 30-30-30 reset on the router and satellites later, and did a configuration from scratch. It got a little better even after upgrading the firmware to current, which I had before. I really think it's the router. 

Why so? I cannot get to router via the mobile app or desktop via 192.168.1.1 (or other means on this KB article - https://kb.netgear.com/31142/Why-can-t-I-access-orbilogin-com-or-orbilogin-net). It's been like this for a couple of weeks now. and hwile the network is all working, i cannot get to router. I force a reset (power off) it just sends me for hours of downtime getting it back connected. 

I bought a new one (same model so I don't have to buy new satellites). just need find time to install now that it's arrived. This is the shortest lived router I've had having issues, coming from a Asus RT-56U that served me for at least twice as long, and it had USB connection ability to a hard drive to treat it like a NAS - a feature thought to come on Orbi but never did. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@awhipple11 wrote:

I have the RBR50 mesh system and it will not work properly after working perfectly for 2+ years. I've done the reset 5+ times and still have no luck. It says it's connected but when I go do a speed test it says its at 2.0 Mbps. No webpages will load, apps, etc. 

Any suggestions or is the system dead? 

Thanks!

Message 6 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

Yes, I have done a factory reset probably 5 times today. It reconnects but the internet is still not functioning properly. 

Message 7 of 21
mrputtputt
Tutor

you may have same problem as me. i just bought a new one to remove the possibility of any hardware issue on any machine i have. oddly while i cannot go to the router via 192.168.1.1, everything is connecting accordingly. 

That's why i spent hours (3 hrs at one point) troubleshooting this with mulitple restarts of ISP modem & router. And doing a new "setup" via mobile app before 30-30-30 reset and one 15 sec reset push also. 

Very disappointed it only lasted 2 yrs. But it is what it is and I'm hoping the replacemeent lasts longer since I have no AX devices to leverage a new router for and start over in a sense. 

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT?

Did you power OFF the Modem/ONT for 30 seconds then back on when you reset the RBR?

@awhipple11 wrote:

Yes, I have done a factory reset probably 5 times today. It reconnects but the internet is still not functioning properly. 

Message 9 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

My wifi provider is COX. I don't know the model number of the modem that they provided but it is just the one that they provide when you sign up for internet. Yes, I've done plenty powering off and on while resetting. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT?

Did you power OFF the Modem/ONT for 30 seconds then back on when you reset the RBR?

@awhipple11 wrote:

Message 10 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

@mrputtputt wrote:

you may have same problem as me. i just bought a new one to remove the possibility of any hardware issue on any machine i have. oddly while i cannot go to the router via 192.168.1.1, everything is connecting accordingly. 

That's why i spent hours (3 hrs at one point) troubleshooting this with mulitple restarts of ISP modem & router. And doing a new "setup" via mobile app before 30-30-30 reset and one 15 sec reset push also. 

Very disappointed it only lasted 2 yrs. But it is what it is and I'm hoping the replacemeent lasts longer since I have no AX devices to leverage a new router for and start over in a sense. 

Yea, it's disappointing for sure. I just bought mine in January of 2020. It worked great until a couple days ago. 

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

No idea what that would be. Model# would be helpful. You sure it may not be the ISP services? They are known to have some problems or odd service outages as well. Something to check on to be sure. Any wifi router depends on good signal from the modem. 

I guess revert back to what you had working on the RBR and RBS. Downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

@awhipple11 wrote:

My wifi provider is COX. I don't know the model number of the modem that they provided but it is just the one that they provide when you sign up for internet. Yes, I've done plenty powering off and on while resetting. 

Message 12 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No idea what that would be. Model# would be helpful. You sure it may not be the ISP services? They are known to have some problems or odd service outages as well. Something to check on to be sure. Any wifi router depends on good signal from the modem. 

I guess revert back to what you had working on the RBR and RBS. Downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

@awhipple11 wrote:

Yes, because my wifi works great when I'm not connected to the Orbi network. When I connect to orbi it doesn't work. Problem is I need the extender so that we have coverage in our whole house or else I'd scrap it altogether. 

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What network are you connecting too? Your Modem? Does your modem have a built in router? Why we ask for brand and model#. 

@awhipple11 wrote:

Yes, because my wifi works great when I'm not connected to the Orbi network. When I connect to orbi it doesn't work. Problem is I need the extender so that we have coverage in our whole house or else I'd scrap it altogether. 

Message 14 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

lol, well if I knew what was wrong I would fix it. I'm connected to my wifi network through Cox. I had to create a new network for Orbi when I first installed it. Up until now I had everything run off of the Orbi network and it worked great. 2 nights ago it stopped working so I went back to the Cox network. Orbi network says it's connected but when I do a speed test it says its at 2.0. aka barely moving. When I try to get online, it is a snail / doesn't load. Back to Cox and everything is fast again. Not sure what the deal is. 

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi. I'd get with your ISP and have them bridge it or configure it so you can use the Orbi system either in router mode or bridge mode. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't have a double NAT issue and mines working fine on current FW. Thanks though. Maybe direct your post to the OP?

Thanks. 

Message 17 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

Got it. Thanks for the info. Yea, that's what's weird is things were working fine since I bought the Orbi system. I guess just under 2 years but still a good amount of time. 

Message 18 of 21
awhipple11
Tutor

This worked. I put my Cox modem into bridge mode. Thanks for your help! 

Message 19 of 21
mrputtputt
Tutor

to isolate the orbi, i connect straight to the cable modem i have (motorola docsys 3.1) and had no issues. so for me, the connect/disconnect wasn't my isp and router. i reset my cable modem also which was what added to long troubleshooting sessions. 

at the same time on wifi, the family can watch since i have the roku on wifi and they can use their laptops. i feel like i'm the one being punished using ethernet! 

i'm thinking i starting having a port issue since i connect all devices using ethernet to a switch and the router connects to the switch (hp procurve). so even when i connected my desktop straight to differnt ports of the router, i was getting same signs. 

if you have a modem with a router capabilitiy, i'd recommend disabling that and just use your orbi routing capabilities. would simplify stuff. 

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad it's working now. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@awhipple11 wrote:

This worked. I put my Cox modem into bridge mode. Thanks for your help! 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7