Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Not Delivering Gigabit Service When Connected to a NetGear CM1200 Cable Modem

Freway01
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Not Delivering Gigabit Service When Connected to a NetGear CM1200 Cable Modem

Just upgrade to Cox's Gigabit service here in Gilbert, AZ. Purchased a Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 cable modem and hooked it up to my Orbi RBR50 router.

I have a wired house so besides the Orbi router and satellite, I have Netgear unmanaged switches in the office, family room, master bedroom, and a guest bedroom. All devices in those locations that need a network connection are hardwired to the switch. All of my smart devices, Ring Doorbell, Nest fire detectors, Alexa devices, security cameras, thermostat, cell phones, etc., all use the Wi-Fi.

The switch in the office is a Netgear GS116NA 16-port unmanaged switch. Connected to the switch are three PC's, QNAP NAS, network printer, and a few networked devices used for OTA TV. When a run the Google speed test from each of the PC's (2-Microsoft Surface 4's via docking station & 1-desktop PC with an Intel NIC), I never see anything above 500Mbps down on the Surfaces and 600-700Mbps on the desktop.

My questions is, is the Orbi capable of Gigabit speeds on wired connections? If so, what are some of the configuration settings I need to set on the Orbi to get Gigabit or near Gigabit wired speeds?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Not Delivering Gigabit Service When Connected to a NetGear CM1200 Cable Modem

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch with a wired PC. Don't connect any other devices or RBS at this point. Don't enable QoS, Traffic meter or Access controls on the RBR. Just setup and run a speed test with the wired PC connected to the RBR using Ooklas installable speedtest app in Windows or Mac. 

Seen issues with RBR not getting near 900Mbps:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Some have been able to see near 900Mbps with the Orbi system with wired connections: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

You'll not see much over 500Mbps with most wireless devices. Some newer ones maybe. All depends on client hardware support and Mfr design. 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBR50 Not Delivering Gigabit Service When Connected to a NetGear CM1200 Cable Modem

Message 3 of 5
Freway01
Aspirant

The firmware version on the RBR50 is 2.3.5.30.

I'm not complaining about the Wi-Fi speeds as they are a heck of a lot faster then they were with my old service. I was wondering if the Orbi RBR50 was capable of utilizing the full Gigablast service. Tonight I'll put it to the test by plugging my new Lenovo X1 Yogi into a port on the Orbi and running a speed test, then directly in the Nighthawk CM1200 to see if I am in fact, getting Gigabit service from Cox. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you see. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7