Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50/RBS50 AP mode disconnection

sminervi
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50/RBS50 AP mode disconnection

Hi team,

just got a new RBR50/RBS50. firmware updated to v2.1.4.16, latest on the portal.

the issue is that as soon as i change RBR50 to AP mode i miss the satellite RBS50.

only way to recover is to revert back RBR50 to router mode.

From other discussion i understand AP mode should support Satellite, is that right ?

Any suggestion to address this issue ?

i'm using a wireless backhaul, does Wired change anything?

thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, AP mode supports satellites. After setting up the satllite via wireless in router mode, then chnage to AP mode on the router, it should follow with out having to set up again. You can try setting the satellite up maybe after changing from router to AP mode.

Is the satellite connected wired or wireless? You may need to turn OFF the satellite, make the change from router to AP mode, then turn ON the satellite and test...Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR router.

Message 2 of 8
sminervi
Aspirant

ciao, thanks for the reply.

i did several test during the last weekend. i succeded to change to AP mode and i did this a couple of time after reset.

the first time i had to connect the ethernet cable to see the satellite back online.

the second was exactly the contrary. i had to disconnect the cable anthe the satellite was back in sync.

I also had issues with satellite while changing the SSID. i tried both on router mode and AP mode. the Satellite keeps the old SSID alive and never sync (i waited 30 min max). 

For this i had to reset again and change the SSID since the beginning.

I have the impression that the saltellite behaviour is not exacly predictable and this is a bit scaring.

the only think i didn't see in teh config and i didn't apply is the "disable daisy chain". 

Is this change going to make it more stable ? 

in this moment ny satellite is wired and i have one netgear switch in the middle.

again thanks

ciao

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of this switch your using?

If the satellite is wired, then Daisy chain needs to be disabled.

The best method I found to get a satellite wired is to reset it, re-add it via wireless, do this near the router. Once the top led on the satellite is BLUE, connect the LAN cable between the router and satellite and give 5 minutes for the top led on the satellite to turn on BLUE. Do a IP address reservation ON the router for the satellite. Save and apply. Turn off the satellite then place in remote location and connect up it's LAN cable there to the satellite and turn on.

Message 4 of 8
sminervi
Aspirant

Again thanks for the answer.

i reserved the IP adrresses as you suggested.

one thing i still don't find is where i have to disable Daisy Chain.

can you point me to the option ?

thanks

ciao 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of this switch your using?

Daisy Chain should be under Advanced Tab/Advanced/Wireless Settings.

Message 6 of 8
sminervi
Aspirant

thanks a lot.

one more thing i don't understand if possible. 

in the Orbi console, im now in AP mode, i see the satellite wired, and 10 devices. All of them are reported as connected to the RBR50, none on the RBS50 .

considerind some of them are in the same room of RBS50 this souds very strange.

is this due to the AP mode ?

how can i test RBS50 is working really?

thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes this is due to AP mode and the network acting all on the same line and seeing everything connected.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7