Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50/RBS50 and Connected Devices

millim
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50/RBS50 and Connected Devices

House is 2 story split level w/ rear of lower level in the hillside.  Approx 4800 sq. feet.  Have Uverse 50 Mbps plan today (fastest I can get w/ them) with Arris NVG589 Router/Modem (turned off wifi).  Attempting to upgrade to Cox Gigablast once I can get the cable line run to the house. 

RBR50 is in the center of the house, connected to the modem through one unmanaged Netgear 8 port switch. RBS50 has been in multiple locations - both ethernet and wireless backhaul configurations.  Backhaul status shows good. Running the most current firmware which I reupdated manually in an attempt to address some of these issues.  

Have approx. 35-40 devices on the network. What I can think of off the top of my head include: 

Wired: Lutron RadioRa 2 lighting & shades, 5 POE security cameras, PC, Ring Doorbell Elite (POE), Two TVs, Nvidia Shield, Xbox, Yamaha Receiver, Tivo, Garage door. 

Wireless: 8 Sonos zones, 2 Ring Spotlights (hardwired), one Ring Floodlight (hardwired), couple Ipads, couple phones, Echo Show, Flo water monitoring device (meetflo.com) and Rachio irrigation w/ optional flow meter.  

Running Orbi in AP mode and through my modem and allocated fixed IP addresses to the Satellite/Router/POE Cams/Receiver.

With that background, my issue continues to be getting solid connectivity with devices on the network.  Primarily my wireless Ring connections (3 of the 4), but also with the Flo from time to time.  The frustrating thing is that if I setup a different wifi network using Powerline Networking (Netgear Essentials) and get the extender close enough the Ring's work & connect great.  On the other hand, I can literally put the Orbi within 3 feet of the Ring device and I still get a terrible connection on the Ring (it's normally about 20-30 feet away).  Yesterday I tried adding a 2nd RBS50 and a RBW30 to ensure I was getting full 50 Mbps coverage near each of these devices, though it didn't help. 

Based on what I've read on some other forums it seems that one SSID w/ multiple APs doesn't work well with some of these systems.  I either want to find a way to make the Orbi system work or go a different direction with some more customization options (probably Ubiquiti Unifi).  Recognzing I'm in AP mode, and that getting rid of the Ring isn't an option, does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how to address this. 

For the number of devices I have I definitely want faster internet (as I said I'm waiting on Cox for that), and I'd be curious if people think that could be contributing to these issues.  That said, since my speedtests are showing 50 Mbps at each of these devices (when using the added satellites) I'm not sure that's really the issue.

Thx for the time, help and suggestions.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I would remove the RBW and test just with the Orbi router and 1 satellite. Your size home, Orbi base and 1 or 2 satellites should work well with out the additional RBW. 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@millim wrote:

........  That said, since my speedtests are showing 50 Mbps at each of these devices (when using the added satellites) I'm not sure that's really the issue.

You seem to have good radio coverage. The issue can be in the routing functionality, just a guess. Have you tried to bridge the Motorola NVG589 router and use Orbi in Router Mode?

Message 3 of 6
millim
Aspirant

Thx, Furry. I’m not home today but know it’s the current firmware (I’ve been doing lots of troubleshooting the last 3 days after seeing your other posts).

My normal configuration is just one Satellite - it was only yesterday that the my two additional satellites arrived and that I added them.

The distance between the satellites is about 35-45 feet, with two walls between them.

As for other WiFi, on each side of the house I’ll occasionally see a couple of networks of my neighbors (different ones on each side). Inside the house I don’t have that problem.

I do have channels set to auto - I’ll try your suggestions this evening.

Thx!
Message 4 of 6
millim
Aspirant

For a long time I had the Orbi in router mode behind my other router. Apparently a no-no. I haven’t tried bridging as you suggested - that sounds like a good option to try.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know if anything changes. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@millim wrote:
Thx, Furry. I’m not home today but know it’s the current firmware (I’ve been doing lots of troubleshooting the last 3 days after seeing your other posts).

My normal configuration is just one Satellite - it was only yesterday that the my two additional satellites arrived and that I added them.

The distance between the satellites is about 35-45 feet, with two walls between them.

As for other WiFi, on each side of the house I’ll occasionally see a couple of networks of my neighbors (different ones on each side). Inside the house I don’t have that problem.

I do have channels set to auto - I’ll try your suggestions this evening.

Thx!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7