Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Rebooting Frequently

mts37
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Rebooting Frequently

Hi,

Reaching out to the forum again to see if anyone can help me. My RBR50 has continued to reboot frequently and randomly.

FIrmware is up to date. Tried new system setup. Tried all sugestions here on the forum. No change in the behavior of the router.

It was suggested to try to replace under warranty. However, I only reached out 2 days after my warranty expired (that's what I get for wasting my time here for 2 months). I didn't even know I could call support - Netgear makes it clear that you only get 90 days of free technical support. The website even told me I had no tech support left, so I wasn't even sure how to try and contact someone. After figuring that out, I finally got a hold of someone.

The tech support guy told me to never follow advice of anyone on these forums. Then in his notes closing the case he referred me to the Netgear Community forums. What a joke.

Also told me that nobody else experiences the constant reboot problem. Ok...yeah right.

Reached out to moderators here on the forum who started talking with me and then sudddenly stopped replying after taking my case number.

I am out of options and I can't continue to function like this with both mine and my wife's work calls and presentations being interrupted by a rebooting router. THis is ridculoius for the amount of money spent on this system.

So... any last advice or help anyone can offer before I ditch my Orbi system?

Thanks,

Matt

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 34
mts37
Tutor

Hi Furrye38,

You've been replying to me in another thread, but I will provide these answers again.

Current firmware is 2.5.2.4. Yes I have tried a new setup after upgrading firmware.

Distance between route and satellite is about 30 feet.

I have no wifi neighbors nearby. My closest neighbor's wifi signal never gets picked up in my house.

I have already tried the "most stable configuration" setup months ago. Literally treid everything everyone has mentioned here.

All of this tak is a distraction. There is no reason why an expensive router should be randomly rebooting and then Netgear refuses to help or address the problem.

I've contacted phone support (they literally told me do not listen to anyone on this forum). They also said that nobody else has this rebooting problem (what a joke...).

I also reached out to @Blanca_O and for whatever reason they stopped responding to me after one message.

What else am I supposed to do here?? I got rid of all my COmcast equipment and went all in on Netgear and this is the crap I have to deal with?

Message 3 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I would update to the following and see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Factory reset the RBR and RBS after the update, then setup from scratch. 

I would turn OFF the RBS after it's re-added, then test just the RBR alone. 

Last good working FW version was v16 IMO:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 4 of 34
mts37
Tutor

My modem is a Netgear CM1200.

I will try and update to the latest firmware tonight.

However the message to me since April 2020 has been the same "just upgrade to this new firmware and perform a factory reset!"

The problem has existed for each and every firmware update since April. I have also tried a Voxel firmware (same behavior with random daily reboots).

I was on 2.5.1.16 and it rebooted the same if not even more than currently.

I finally figured out how to contact Netgear tech support despite all the messages saying "your 90 days of support are over" and by then I was 2 days over warranty and they refused to help me. Again... what ..  a ... joke. I've gotr $500 of Netgear equipment and it was faulty from day one and Netgear refuses to help or acknowledge the problem.

Message 5 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF any RBS and test just the RBR alone. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 34
mts37
Tutor

I guess I can try and power off the RBS, but what is the point of buying as mesh system if the satellite is off..

My channels 2.4GHz is set to Auto. 5GHz is channel 48.

I have no wifi neighbors nearby - all channels are free.

Don't see how any of this has to do with the router randomly rebooting frequently. If the answer to how to fix it is to disable features and/or turn off satellites then this is just a bad product.

Message 7 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

It's a trouble shooting step to see and help narrow down where a problem maybe is all. We know what the system should work as expected in its entirety and hope we can help maybe get it there. However there are steps to be taken to find out where the problem is first. 

Message 8 of 34
fmalloy
Luminary

Sorry to say but if I were you I'd ignore the advice of all the well-meaning people here. Your internet provider, modem, neighbors, sq. ft. of your house, and all that nonsense has absolutely no bearing on a router that is rebooting itself randomly. 

I had this issue - random reboots - and it was a bad RBR20. Fortunately mine was brand new and I was able to get it replaced, albeit with a really old, used RBR20 (I checked the serial #) but that solved the reboots.

Nothing - NOTHING - should make a router reboot itself. You have bad hardware. If Netgear won't replace it, move on - with another brand. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 34
mts37
Tutor

Yes, this was my thinking but the others here seemed to think differently.

What makes this even worse is by the time I realized I could call for free (I thought I couldn't outside of the 90 days), I was 3 days after the 1 year warranty expired. They wouldn't cut me any slack and also said that nobody else has reboot problems. A simple google search proves otherwise.

Message 10 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Forums can only do so much. Users here give some experienced help and information. It's up to users to take this or not. If not, then seek official NG support via online web support ticket, phone or PM a forum moderator to help you out. 

There maybe others having problems, and yet they may have found results. ALso there are others that do not see the reboot issue. Mine works fine. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 34
mts37
Tutor

Your point is completely understood. I am trying to follow the advice that you have given, but you have to understand this is not a trivial task for me. Both my wife and I require internet for our jobs. I can't simply turn off the satellite for a day at a time (that leaves half the house without internet).

I did contact NG support - the problem was after I finally figured out how I was 3 days out of warranty and they refused to help.

I did PM a forum moderator here and they responded to me initially and took my case number and then never replied back to me - not evem to say "no we cannot help".

I also understand that not everyone has a problem with the Orbi routers. However, there are enough documented cases that clearly there is something going on with a subset of them.

I will continue to try and troubleshoot this as you have suggested...

I do appreciate your advice given so far.

Message 12 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

I would problably downgrade to v16. Mines running v16 and it's working fine. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

I would check to see if you have a family member or friend or nieghbor that has some router or networking expterience to help you out with this as well. 

Message 13 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

And, hearing the Orbi fans say "It might be best to just trash it, buy another brand" - but that doesn't help you either, does it?

Smiley Frustrated

Message 14 of 34
fmalloy
Luminary

It helps the OP to stop wasting time and move on with their life.
Message 15 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Users already have investments in the current system so lets find out what the problems is before giving up. Some users may not have money to buy something else. So were here to see if we can get it working for what they already have. 

Message 16 of 34
open_market
Aspirant

Frimware Version V2.5.2.4

Home system, seven or so devices, Mac based and iphones plus "Hey - Google Speaker, 14 Kasa devices, i.e. light switches, AC power Plugs...

I to have the infamous spontaneous reboot problem. Thought it might be my Comcast Cable modem - no (used Mikrotik, non-wifi router which keeps connection on eithernet cables when orbi goes down {Cable modem -> Mikrotik - > Obit-> wifi})

thought it might be "neighbors devices" no, the pattern is too random and Orbi comes backup quickly after power cycle.

By the way, having the Mikrotik in the chain may have decreased the number of reboots - odd...

This system worked for several years, but I never got the satellite to work reliably. It is disconected.

I do think the concept of Orbi is a good one given the higher speeds that we operate some of our computers at.

I agree with other posters, I highly suspect this is an Orbi problem. Too many users with same problem.

I'm a big technology user and have had many years of good luck with Wifi until Orbi...

I do give a little credence to the possibility that there might be a "ham radio" or other transmmitter/radio interference in the area from time to time. This should never cause the router to "hang" and/or stop working completeing until a power cycle.

Currently trying to pinpoint what all our devices are doing when the system goes down. Tonight, our renter was watching a movie on Amazon Prime. No big deal. Nothing else of significance using the wife at that time. 

Open to suggestion,s otherwise I'm tossing ORBI out. Would almost take a chance on buying another Orbi replacement, but fear it will be more wasted time. Would love to hear about other good alternatives.

House is three stories and wifi speed dwindles between the far end of the second story where orbi is located and the 3rd floor, about eighty-five feet and two walls/ one floor - wood constructions.

Appreciate the time and dedication of other folks reading these posting and trying to help!

- Rick

Message 17 of 34
open_market
Aspirant

P.S. When I check for new firmware, it claims there is no new version available. I noted that others seem to have a later version. Mine is V2.5.2.4

When checking, it does note that the Satellite is waiting for a connection. Assume that is not a problem; see my previous notes, could never get satellite to stay up for more than a few hours regardless of location.

- Rick

Message 18 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Either manually download newer version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Or downgrade to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@open_market wrote:

P.S. When I check for new firmware, it claims there is no new version available. I noted that others seem to have a later version. Mine is V2.5.2.4

When checking, it does note that the Satellite is waiting for a connection. Assume that is not a problem; see my previous notes, could never get satellite to stay up for more than a few hours regardless of location.

- Rick

Message 19 of 34
vajim
Master

I'm not clear on whether you (op) were able to fix your problem however after years of reading similar posts I will offer that you stop executing firmware updates when your system is working fine, particularly those that were just released.  A good majority of folks broke their own network by exercising this practice. 

Question of the day, how much value do you find when someone tells you that a certain firmware works fine on their system ?   

Message 20 of 34
alokeprasad
Mentor

One data point: My 2 week old install of a new RBK50 ver 2.5.2.4 is working perfectly.  Connected to Arris Surfboard 6190 cable modem. Wireless backhaul with mostly default settings.  Don't how long that'll last.  I would stay at this firmware unless some critical security fixes makes me upgrade the firmware.

Rebooting sounds like a hardware problem (with power supply or CPU/memory or motherboard something).  No normal network traffic glitches should cause re-boots. 

FWIW.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 21 of 34
mts37
Tutor

My problem was that all firmware versions have always had the reboot probem (this includes firmwares from Sept. 2019 to today).

It is helpful to hear from other what firmwares worked for them, but in my case I have already tried different firmwares over and over without any resolution.

I actually paid for a GearHead Support contract (because they said they'd refund if if they couldn't fix my problem and I knew they wouldn't be able to..). First they tried changing channels from auto to fixed channels (I told them I have no wifi neighbors and also my issue is not a network problem, but they insisted.

Lo and behold, the router still reboots after that. I called back and they said ok your router is the problem and the hardware is defective. They actually told me I should go buy a new one and I have no other options. Then they refunded me my GearHead cost.

What a joke.

Message 22 of 34
alokeprasad
Mentor

Given that you have had this problem all along, and not started with any particular firmware, is all the more indication that this is a hardware issue.

Netgear has a 1 yr warranty.  Will they replace the unit for you under warranty?

Message 23 of 34
mts37
Tutor

So, two things:
1. They keep telling me warranty was for 90 days, not one year.
2. Even if it was for one year, I finally figured out how to call them but it was 3 days after the one year, so It was a lost cause no matter what. They showed no leniency - was trying to troubleshoot this for 3 months. When you go online to find out about contacting them it just tells you your 90 days of support are expired and it took me (maybe I’m just blind) stumbling around on the website to figure out how to finally talk to someone.
Also - the issue was happening for the whole time but I only actually realized what was going on when I started full time work from home which is why I didn’t call sooner.
Message 24 of 34
fmalloy
Luminary

@mts37 wrote:

I called back and they said ok your router is the problem and the hardware is defective. They actually told me I should go buy a new one and I have no other options. Then they refunded me my GearHead cost.

Yep. This is what happened to my RBR20, and it was my advice to you. Luckily mine was brand-new and they sent me a new unit, and it has never spontaneously rebooted (although I have other issues).

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7