Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

GMoGoody8
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

Wired or Wireless Backhaul when you saw the ARP storm.
Message 51 of 132
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@vajimyou are and will forever even be a Beta Tester for Air it is constantly tested and monitored for your welfare. If it's faulty you are in danger. Then you'll be a Beta Tester for the PharmaBioMedical industrial complex.

We all are BTs on everything we buy. Especially these days. I just got a Firmware update on my Microwave and Mashing Machine. They talk to eachother. If they waited until the products we're "Perfect with No Need for Refinement", there'd never be anything new out. None fo the manufacturers could be sure that their products are ready for release . . .

"The Consumer is the Worlds Beta Tester!"

Message 52 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired. 

Ever since NG released v4 and follow on versions, these ARP storms are now present after any RBS are connected via ethernet behind a switch to the RBR. Something not seen on v16. Though up to before v102, the ARP storm didn't seem to stop, now after about a minute or two, the storm stops and the network settles in and right now, still working just fine with the two RBS ethernet conneted. 

@GMoGoody8 wrote:
Wired or Wireless Backhaul when you saw the ARP storm.

Message 53 of 132
vajim
Master

Not sure what your point is. I understand how firmware releases are supposed to work 

My position is IF your system is working fine , why go beta testing it.  And I don't want to hear anymore about security issues and all that bs    Too many people in here can't leave well enough alone. 

instead of monkeying with your system go take out the trash.   

instead of going after poor souls like myself ,   band with others in here that share your views.  They're everywhere 

out.  

Message 54 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@GMoGoody8 wrote:

2.5.X --> Outside US and people that don't subscribe to armor or parental controls.
2.6.X --> This is the more recent 2.5.X
2.7.X --> US Armor and Parental Control subscribers. 

I accidenatally went to the 2.7 some time back  and I am hesitant to revert to 2.5.X/2.6.X as I don't use parental controls or armor. I decided to stay even with the annoying App popups at times to "setup/subscribe" to those services. 

Some observations:

• The Armor "popup overlay" has an almost invisible line in tiny blue text on a blue background offering a choice to "Not remind me any more about Armor."  I clicked it, got a message saying "Preference Saved", and the Armor offer no longer pops up.  (It may come back, or not. Won't know until it does.)
  • This 2.7.2.102 version appears to have no Parental Controls options.  At least, I cannot find a menu entry anywhere with that title. Nor has an offer for Parental Controls popped up (yet).  Somehow, I got the impression that Netgear was "rolling their own" version of Parental Controls.  If they have, I see no sign of it.

p.s. This 2.7.2.102 is running on my "Spare Orbi" which I bought on eBay to experiment with Voxel's Orbi firmware. Which is amazing, but not being in the US, he has decided to stick with the "worldwide" Orbi firmware.  In the coming days, I may reset the spare to factory, load the configuration from the primary Orbi, and swap them.  Since I never found a spare satellite, I'm reluctant to "take the plunge" until all the details are worked out and I have some time to myself.

Message 55 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

@vajim wrote:

And I don't want to hear anymore about security issues and all that bs    Too many people in here can't leave well enough alone. 

Wondering why you consider security issues as "BS". 

Is your problem with the way NG deals with security issues? Or are you against fixing security issues in general?

Do you not apply Windows Updates either?

Admttedly, some are more serious than others.  But security holes should be fixed by the manufacturers and users.

Message 56 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

When you factory reset your Orbi with v102 loaded were you not offered any Circle support after the setup wizard completed? I noticed that Circle isn't present, however i didn't factory reset and setup from scratch and have applied FW updates with out resetting so I don't know if the Circle over lay pop up may already be disabled from prior configuration settings. 

I see Armor on the home screen but its disabled...

At least here is Access Controls:

AccessControls.png

@CrimpOn wrote:

Some observations:

• The Armor "popup overlay" has an almost invisible line in tiny blue text on a blue background offering a choice to "Not remind me any more about Armor."  I clicked it, got a message saying "Preference Saved", and the Armor offer no longer pops up.  (It may come back, or not. Won't know until it does.)
  • This 2.7.2.102 version appears to have no Parental Controls options.  At least, I cannot find a menu entry anywhere with that title. Nor has an offer for Parental Controls popped up (yet).  Somehow, I got the impression that Netgear was "rolling their own" version of Parental Controls.  If they have, I see no sign of it.

p.s. This 2.7.2.102 is running on my "Spare Orbi" which I bought on eBay to experiment with Voxel's Orbi firmware. Which is amazing, but not being in the US, he has decided to stick with the "worldwide" Orbi firmware.  In the coming days, I may reset the spare to factory, load the configuration from the primary Orbi, and swap them.  Since I never found a spare satellite, I'm reluctant to "take the plunge" until all the details are worked out and I have some time to myself.

Message 57 of 132
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

@vajim wrote:

And I don't want to hear anymore about security issues and all that bs    Too many people in here can't leave well enough alone. 

Wondering why you consider security issues as "BS". 

Is your problem with the way NG deals with security issues? Or are you against fixing security issues in general?

Do you not apply Windows Updates either?

Admttedly, some are more serious than others.  But security holes should be fixed by the manufacturers and users.

Go away.    Talk to furry.  

Message 58 of 132
aaronka
Guide

Interesting about Circle being gone in v102. I use the actual gen 1 Circle device and its service is being discontinued on Jan. 1st. I belive this will also affect the NG based Circle Parental controls and this seems to confirm that it is gone.
Message 59 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, I presume NG maybe going with something else. Only NG nows whats going on there. 

Armor seems to be supported. I checked and there is a trial available to me. I didn't activate it...

@aaronka wrote:
Interesting about Circle being gone in v102. I use the actual gen 1 Circle device and its service is being discontinued on Jan. 1st. I belive this will also affect the NG based Circle Parental controls and this seems to confirm that it is gone.

Message 60 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When you factory reset your Orbi with v102 loaded were you not offered any Circle support after the setup wizard completed? I noticed that Circle isn't present, however i didn't factory reset and setup from scratch and have applied FW updates with out resetting so I don't know if the Circle over lay pop up may already be disabled from prior configuration settings. 

Correct. I just now did a Factory Reset on v2.7.2.102.  The setup Wizard dumped me off to Netgear to register the Orbi and offered a selection of things to sign up for, including Parental Controls.

When I went back to the actual Orbi, I got the popup advertising the Orbi "app" and the overlay offering Armor (which I declined), but NO mention of any Parental Controls.

Message 61 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@aaronka wrote:

This may not be the case. The announcement from Circle claims that

Please note: This announcement does NOT apply to our latest product, Circle Parental Controls, or to Circle 1st generation services (Circle with Disney device, Circle on NETGEAR).

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024755712-Shutdown-Notice-for-the-MyCircle-app-a... 

Perhaps Netgear is waiting until Jan 1 to announce availability of "new and improved Parental Controls".

Message 62 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for confirming @CrimpOn 

Now we know for sure. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

Correct. I just now did a Factory Reset on v2.7.2.102.  The setup Wizard dumped me off to Netgear to register the Orbi and offered a selection of things to sign up for, including Parental Controls.

When I went back to the actual Orbi, I got the popup advertising the Orbi "app" and the overlay offering Armor (which I declined), but NO mention of any Parental Controls.

Message 63 of 132
GMoGoody8
Luminary

@CrimpOn , Does your App not have the Parental Controls Block? For me this used to be Circle but since late summer it changed to Parental Controls. If I add more than 1 profile it asks me to subscribe. 

Message 64 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats seen on my app:

OrbiApp.PNG

Message 65 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@GMoGoody8 wrote:

@CrimpOn , Does your App not have the Parental Controls Block? For me this used to be Circle but since late summer it changed to Parental Controls.

A good question.  Since 2.7.2.102 is loaded on my "experimental" Orbi, I have not connected the Orbi "app" to it.

I see that @FURRYe38 has posted a screen shot of his Orbi app on 2.7.2.102, showing no block for Parental Controls.

Message 66 of 132
aaronka
Guide

Orbi app not showing the parental control block for me either. Here's the big surprise though, I'm not home and wasn't expecting to be able to connect because Anywhere Access should have been off and according to the web interface it is off. Orbi app shows that it is turned on and is confirmed working since I just connected remotely.
Message 67 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@aaronka wrote:
Orbi app not showing the parental control block for me either. Here's the big surprise though, I'm not home and wasn't expecting to be able to connect because Anywhere Access should have been off and according to the web interface it is off. Orbi app shows that it is turned on and is confirmed working since I just connected remotely.

The web interface "Remote Access" is totally different from the Orbi "app" "Anywhere Access".  The (literally) have nothing to do with each other in any way.

Message 68 of 132
aaronka
Guide

That's good to know, but this firmware or maybe the last Orbi app update turned on Anywhere Access.
Message 69 of 132
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Thanks everyone. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app. parental controls wasn’t there. As soon as I logged into my RBR it came back. I must have something residual lingering from a previous FW. Don’t really want to do a factory reset.
Message 70 of 132
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I updated my firmware to v102 the other day and just did a factory reset this morning.  I still have parental controls.  The app still shows parental controls and opens Circle app when I select it.  It's wierd that it's available to some and not others when on the same FW version.

Parental Controls.png

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 71 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@aaronka wrote:

The web interface "Remote Access" is totally different from the Orbi "app" "Anywhere Access".  The (literally) have nothing to do with each other in any way.

Can Anywhere Access be turned off at the RBR50's web interface? I don't want _anyone_ to have access to my Orbi's settings unless physically connected to my LAN.

Too bad that WiFi access to the settings cannot be disabled. Ideally, I'd turn off every access mode except by web interface using a wired Ethernet connected device on my LAN.

Message 72 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

Can Anywhere Access be turned off at the RBR50's web interface? I don't want _anyone_ to have access to my Orbi's settings unless physically connected to my LAN.

Too bad that WiFi access to the settings cannot be disabled. Ideally, I'd turn off every access mode except by web interface using a wired Ethernet connected device on my LAN.

No, Anywhere Access can be turned off only on the Orbi "app".  The web interface knows nothing about Anywhere Access.

A number of people have expressed interest in restricting access to the Orbi web interface to only "wired" devices.  With laptops no longer providing ethernet jacks, I fear this is not likely to happen.

Message 73 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

There are three types of "Remote Administration" for an Orbi system. Each has definite strengths and weaknesses.

• Anywhere Access. The Orbi smartphone "app" can connect to the Orbi remotely by going through the Netgear "Cloud".
    I find the Orbi app to be like a ditzy blonde.  Pretty, but basically brain dead.  (Not like the blonds I know who are smart and articulate.)
    The app just doesn't do very much.  But, if you want only simple things, it works.  It has nothing to do with the other two methods.
  • The Orbi web interface offers an entirely different Remote Administration on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup.
    It requires that you set up DDNS using one of three services (so that you "know" which IP the Orbi has without manually tracking it.  Would be a bit of a bummer to be away from home and your ISP change the Orbi IP to something you don't know.)
    Setting it up (after the DDNS bit) is simple.
    This also "works" and allows access to the entire Orbi web interface.
    The drawback to Remote Access is that it opens one port to the internet.  The default is 8443, but it doesn't matter because internet trolls are constantly scanning every IP address in the world looking for open ports.  If you chose 8765 or 5678, they would find it eventually.
    What annoyed the heck out of me was that every day or so some (blankety blank dumbell) would try to hack my remote login and fill up the Orbi log with failed attempts.  My Orbi password is 30 characters long with lots of goofy characters, so by trying one login per minute it will take about 4 billion years to break in.  But I hated having the log fill up with trash.
    If you don't care about the Orbi log and have a really good admin password, it works fine.
  • What I did was set up OpenVPN on the Orbi (also using the same DDNS).  For some reason, the log does not fill up with failed VPN connection attempts.
    Setting up OpenVPN is not trivial.  There is a much steeper learning curve than ordinary Remote Admin.
    I have OpenVPN Client software on every laptop, tablet, and smartphone that I own.  So I can be anywhere with internet access and open a VPN connection to my Orbi.  Once connected, I can access any device on the Orbi LAN, including the Orbi itself.
    Works just fine.  It even allows me to access the internet from the Orbi.  This has the effect of encrypting everything I do remotely inside a VPN tunnel (to the Orbi).  Of course, it is "regular" from the Orbi to the internet, but I am more concerned about "sniffing" in random WiFi locations than when connected to my ISP.

So, three methods.  They all work.  If you never carry a laptop, I'd stick with the Orbi App remote admin.  Otherwise, do what you are comfortable with.

Message 74 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

No, Anywhere Access can be turned off only on the Orbi "app".  The web interface knows nothing about Anywhere Access.

Which is dumb.  Anyone with access to my Netgear password (passwords do get leaked or guessed.. maybe not mine Smiley Happy but there are people who use easy to guess passwords) can then turn it on and muck around with my network.

A number of people have expressed interest in restricting access to the Orbi web interface to only "wired" devices.  With laptops no longer providing ethernet jacks, I fear this is not likely to happen.

Sadly, you are right. Thank goodness that the RBR and RBS's have ethernet ports at the back! Eero satellites don't, which is astounding for such an expensive product.

Message 75 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7