Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

vajim
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

so it's NOT seemless

Message 101 of 132
tagteam
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:
And how did you get to v60?

Yeah, I had to manually update to get to v60 (probably not going manually update again) and only after manually updating to v60 was I offered v102.

Message 102 of 132
vajim
Master

@tagteam wrote:

@vajim wrote:
And how did you get to v60?

Yeah, I had to manually update to get to v60 (probably not going manually update again) and only after manually updating to v60 was I offered v102.

Thank you.

...and there lies the problem....a manual update is required to receive or be offered the 'next' auto-weblogin update.

This sends mixed messages to users for we have seen numerous cases where manual updates cause numerous problems.

Message 103 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

A consolation for those of us who ran the gauntlet and updated manually to 2.6.1.40 or 2.7.1.60 and to 2.7.2.102, these fix some serious (by Netgear's own admission) security issues: (BTW, 2.6.1.40 and 2.7.2.102 seem to be worldwide release now.. the restriction to the US is missing on the download site).

From https://www.netgear.com/about/security/ 

Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-Some-Routers-Range-Extenders-and-Orbi-WiF... 

Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Buffer-Overflow-on-Some-Routers-Range-Extenders-and-Orbi-Wi... 

Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Buffer-Overflow-on-Some-Routers-Range-Extenders-and-Orbi-Wi... 

Security-Advisory-for-Security-Misconfiguration-on-Some-Routers-Range-Extenders-and-Orbi-WiFi-System... 

Security-Advisory-for-Stored-Cross-Site-Scripting-on-Some-Routers-and-Orbi-WiFi-Systems-PSV-2018-055... 

December was a busy month for Netgear security team!

Message 104 of 132
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

December was a busy month for Netgear security team!

Thanks.....and yet there are flaws in the way they disburse these updates.  I can't help to think back to when ALL updates were pushed and how people cryed and wanted choice.  Thank you too!

Message 105 of 132
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I just noticed that my RBR50 automatically updated to version 2.7.2.102 a few days ago, but when I checked my RBS50 it was still running version 2.7.0.70. Is it normal for the satellite not to be updated during the automatic update process?

Message 106 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

Message 107 of 132
vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

I just noticed that my RBR50 automatically updated to version 2.7.2.102 a few days ago, but when I checked my RBS50 it was still running version 2.7.0.70. Is it normal for the satellite not to be updated during the automatic update process?

define 'automatically updated'

normally when using the pc login the process will update both

Message 108 of 132
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I had a bad experience manually updating my system to 2.7.0.70 where my router did not fully update and the web interface was unreachable, but I was able to use the Orbi app to complete the update on the router. Based on this experience, I have been holding off on installing some of the recent firmware releases until they also show up within the app. Last night I was viewing the device details on both my router and my satellite in the Orbi app, and I noticed that my router was now running version 2.7.2.102. I checked the debug page on my router and it showed an uptime of about 7 days. I then checked my satellite, and it was still running 2.7.0.70 and had an uptime of around 126 days. It was my understanding that the router and satellite(s) should all be running the same firmware version, so I found it odd that the 2.7.2.102 update would only be pushed to the router.

I should also add that the 2.7.2.102 update was not showing up either in the app or web interface when checking for new firmware.

Message 109 of 132
vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

I had a bad experience manually updating my system to 2.7.0.70 where my router did not fully update and the web interface was unreachable, but I was able to use the Orbi app to complete the update on the router. Based on this experience, I have been holding off on installing some of the recent firmware releases until they also show up within the app. Last night I was viewing the device details on both my router and my satellite in the Orbi app, and I noticed that my router was now running version 2.7.2.102. I checked the debug page on my router and it showed an uptime of about 7 days. I then checked my satellite, and it was still running 2.7.0.70 and had an uptime of around 126 days. It was my understanding that the router and satellite(s) should all be running the same firmware version, so I found it odd that the 2.7.2.102 update would only be pushed to the router.

I should also add that the 2.7.2.102 update was not showing up either in the app or web interface when checking for new firmware.

my advice....get both the router and sat(s) on the same FW, then leave it alone.

Message 110 of 132
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

my advice....get both the router and sat(s) on the same FW, then leave it alone.

Yeah, I'm going to manually update the satellite to 2.7.2.102. I was just curious if the autoupdate procedure only updated the router and not the satellites. This is the first time my system has automatically updated.

Message 111 of 132
vajim
Master

@pdeethardt wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to manually update the satellite to 2.7.2.102. I was just curious if the autoupdate procedure only updated the router and not the satellites. This is the first time my system has automatically updated.

To most, auto updates occurs when netgear pushes the firmware with no action by the user.  It can happen over night while you sleep 

Message 112 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that NG intended for v60 to be loaded on your Orbi system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

Then v102 would appear as an available download. 

You can always manually download FW files and manually update your self using a wired PC and web browser when your devices are not in sync and using same version of FW. 

ttps://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-com

@pdeethardt wrote:

Message 113 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 114 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

This needs its own thread (to discuss problems, successes etc.)

Message 115 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Just follow the link then. Smiley Wink

Message 116 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for your recommendation, however when I do manual updates, works just fine.

Message 117 of 132
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for your recommendation, however when I do manual updates, works just fine.

That's nice

the average user is happy for you

the success rate indicates otherwise 

Message 118 of 132
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

vajim< User Beware. Smiley Sad

Message 119 of 132
MrMRB
Tutor

I'm a UK customer but based in Africa. My RBR50 (with 1 satelite) is running FW V2.5.2.4.  I don't use parental controls or Armor. Should I upgrade to V2.7.2? How would I go about doing that if the automatic updates don't detect it?

Cheers.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 120 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@MrMRB wrote:

I'm a UK customer but based in Africa. My RBR50 (with 1 satelite) is running FW V2.5.2.4.  I don't use parental controls or Armor. Should I upgrade to V2.7.2? How would I go about doing that if the automatic updates don't detect it?

The newest firmware for the RBR50/RBS50 (2.7.2.104) no longer has the "U.S. Only" comment.

It can be downloaded from here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062857/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-2-104 

The decision "to update or not update" is entirely yours.

Message 121 of 132
MrMRB
Tutor

Thanks. But I'm looking for advice as to why I might or might not want to upgrade.

Message 122 of 132
vajim
Master

@MrMRB wrote:

Thanks. But I'm looking for advice as to why I might or might not want to upgrade.

The answer lies in why you want to update 

do your homework 

make up your own mind

do not rule out you may end back here asking for help from folks who know the firmware is faulty yet will run you through the 1000 questions drill

Message 123 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

@MrMRB wrote:

We don't know enough to answer.

The release notes says "fixes security issues" or some such without specifying the nature or severity of the issues.

Users here are split into 2 camps:

• Don't change if you are happy with the functioning; If the issues fixed are serious, Netgear will "push" this to your system without any choice or action on your part
  • I must have the latest.  NG fixed something, so it must be worthwhile. I'll update manually and let the chips fall where they may.

I personally will wait a few days and try to see how others do with the update, and try to learn about the nature of the security fixes. 

Its not easy.  If the issues are serious and getting exploited in the wild, I'll update manually.

Message 124 of 132
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

@MrMRB wrote:

We don't know enough to answer.

The release notes says "fixes security issues" or some such without specifying the nature or severity of the issues.

Users here are split into 2 camps:

• Don't change if you are happy with the functioning; If the issues fixed are serious, Netgear will "push" this to your system without any choice or action on your part
  • I must have the latest.  NG fixed something, so it must be worthwhile. I'll update manually and let the chips fall where they may.

I personally will wait a few days and try to see how others do with the update, and try to learn about the nature of the security fixes. 

Its not easy.  If the issues are serious and getting exploited in the wild, I'll update manually.

Nice post  Couldn't have said it better myself other than to say there are some in here that resort to personal attacks on those who have a different opinion on how to handle updates.  The moderator's inbox is full.

I would add to your 2nd camp of folks that some may feel the latest wiz-bang update will make their Orbi faster and greater than ever before.  You know the kind, aint never satisfied.

Thanks again!

Message 125 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7