Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

In all fairness, the "If the issues fixed are serious, Netgear will "push" this to your system without any choice or action on your part" is an assumption that could be misplaced.

The bottom line is: we need more info from NG themselves on their policies vis-a-vis push updates, and on the changelog for these releases.

Message 126 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not assume that v104 isn't for all regions, this version still follows the v2.7 version line thus may still be considered a continuation fix from the v2.7 line and thus maybe a security fix for what may have been missing in v102 which I is still a US region only version. We should confirm with NG support to see if this still holds true. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

@MrMRB wrote:

I'm a UK customer but based in Africa. My RBR50 (with 1 satelite) is running FW V2.5.2.4.  I don't use parental controls or Armor. Should I upgrade to V2.7.2? How would I go about doing that if the automatic updates don't detect it?

The newest firmware for the RBR50/RBS50 (2.7.2.104) no longer has the "U.S. Only" comment.

It can be downloaded from here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062857/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-2-104 

The decision "to update or not update" is entirely yours.

Message 127 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try v40 first as it's a known ALL regions version of FW which can be manually downloaded and manually applied if you feel the need to update:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

@MrMRB wrote:

I'm a UK customer but based in Africa. My RBR50 (with 1 satelite) is running FW V2.5.2.4.  I don't use parental controls or Armor. Should I upgrade to V2.7.2? How would I go about doing that if the automatic updates don't detect it?

Cheers.

Message 128 of 132
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

In all fairness, the "If the issues fixed are serious, Netgear will "push" this to your system without any choice or action on your part" is an assumption that could be misplaced.

The bottom line is: we need more info from NG themselves on their policies vis-a-vis push updates, and on the changelog for these releases.

The history on these were at one time...ALL updates were auto pushed.  Then users cried and wanted freedom and choice.

Fast forward and here we are.

NG is only reacting to what they thought users wanted.  IMHO this has turned those who venture into beta-testers.  Some like this for they live on the edge.

I do agree they (NG) needs to be a bit more forth coming in their process, however in view of their product line their reluctance is almost

believable

Message 129 of 132
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would not assume that v104 isn't for all regions, this version still follows the v2.7 version line thus may still be considered a continuation fix from the v2.7 line and thus maybe a security fix for what may have been missing in v102 which I is still a US region only version. We should confirm with NG support to see if this still holds true. 

a little late for that don't you think?

Message 130 of 132
MrMRB
Tutor

Thanks all for the constructive views. I think asking questions on forums such as this is part of the homework, isn't it?

Message 131 of 132
vajim
Master

@MrMRB wrote:

Thanks all for the constructive views. I think asking questions on forums such as this is part of the homework, isn't it?

not at your level.....stand back and take a look of how your perceived my friend

Message 132 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7