Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Router going off-line frequently

BadgerMe
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Router going off-line frequently

Over the last few weeks the ORBI RBR50 Router wirelss access has been going off-line frequently, and almost daily now (or it seems.) It may work great for a day or two then the wireless quits working. All hardwire devices are working fine, the Router in-app (on Android phone) shows RED, while the satellites show green.  I updated the firmware to v2.5.1.8 hoping that the issue would resolve, but it unfortunately hasn't.  Rebooting tends to resolve the issue for some time, but then it begins to drop again.

I've got 70 plus devices that connect to it (smarthome devices, computers, etc.), and prefer not to have find a more reliable solution (if that even exists) and have to reset all wireless devices to access something new.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting or resolving this? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Router going off-line frequently

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 5
BadgerMe
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Thanks for the direction.

No factory reset has been performed. Before I do that, #1 question is if I reestablish the same SSID and Passwords, will my wireless devices reconnect or will I have to reset each device manually (40+ smart home devices on wireless)?

"Modem" is a ZHONE Mode ZNID-GE2424-NA-0GN-ICA Rev. A1 - on Fiber internet connection, which I have no remote access to manage.

Home is approx. 3600 SQFT, distance is approx. 30' distance, standard frame construction. Router is on main floor, while Satellites are on 2nd and basement floors opposite router east and west. Current setup has been in place for 2 years.

2.4GHz was Auto, 5GHz was channel 48, have set to 6 and 44 respectively.

10 Wifi neighbors at last count/scan.  Overlap on 2.4 channel one w/several neighbors (before reassigning to channel 6).

Disabling settings as recommended, set to short preamble and 40mhz only (assuming disable 20/40 defaults to 40), and testing/monitoring wireless connectivity. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

After a factory reset, once you set your WiFi SSID and password to the same values as before, all of your previously configured WiFi devices will reconnect.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure your ONT isn't doing any routing or wifi. I believe it may have built in router and wifi.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@BadgerMe wrote:

Thanks for the direction.

No factory reset has been performed. Before I do that, #1 question is if I reestablish the same SSID and Passwords, will my wireless devices reconnect or will I have to reset each device manually (40+ smart home devices on wireless)?

"Modem" is a ZHONE Mode ZNID-GE2424-NA-0GN-ICA Rev. A1 - on Fiber internet connection, which I have no remote access to manage.

Home is approx. 3600 SQFT, distance is approx. 30' distance, standard frame construction. Router is on main floor, while Satellites are on 2nd and basement floors opposite router east and west. Current setup has been in place for 2 years.

2.4GHz was Auto, 5GHz was channel 48, have set to 6 and 44 respectively.

10 Wifi neighbors at last count/scan.  Overlap on 2.4 channel one w/several neighbors (before reassigning to channel 6).

Disabling settings as recommended, set to short preamble and 40mhz only (assuming disable 20/40 defaults to 40), and testing/monitoring wireless connectivity. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7