Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 SSID issues

thatguy01
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 SSID issues

I am trying to set up a Broadlink brand RF blaster. I am connected to my orbi router. When I go into the Broadlink app and try  to connect to my orbi network, I get a message that says I am connected to a 5GHz network and to go back and reselect a 2.4 network. To the best of my knowledge, my orbi is connected to the 2.4 side of my comcast router. I also tried loggin into the public comcast wifi hotspot and connecting my Broadlink device through that, but it gave me the same error message. Any ideas? Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 SSID issues

@thatguy01 wrote:

I am trying to set up a Broadlink brand RF blaster. I am connected to my orbi router. When I go into the Broadlink app and try  to connect to my orbi network, I get a message that says I am connected to a 5GHz network and to go back and reselect a 2.4 network. To the best of my knowledge, my orbi is connected to the 2.4 side of my comcast router. I also tried loggin into the public comcast wifi hotspot and connecting my Broadlink device through that, but it gave me the same error message. Any ideas? Thank you.

Orbi routers connect only through the WAN (yellow) ethernet port on the back. They do not connect via WiFi.

Orbi routers broadcast both 2.4G and 5G WiFi channels with the same network name (SSID).

If you can provide the exact model number of the Broadlink RF blaster, perhaps the user manual will provide additional information.

Some Internet of Things (IoT) devices struggle with all mesh networks (not just Orbi) because their smartphone app is written poorly. Rather than simply send the WiFi SSID/password to the device, the smartphone app detects that the phone is connected to a 5G network and refuses to go an farther.  For the origiinal Orbi product line (including RBR50) there is a work-around that has overcome this issue for many users:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password)  I do this on my computer, laptop, or tablet
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel". Click "Apply"
    This will cause the Orbi to restart the WiFi and may appear to take a looooong time.
    This will not affect any devices which are currently attached to the Orbi at 5G.
  • On the smartphone settings, "forget" the Orbi WiFi
  • Search for WiFi networks and select the Orbi WiFi
  • Enter the WiF password and connect.
    Because the Orbi is only broadcasting the SSID on a 2.4G channel, the smartphone will connect at 2.4G.
  • At this point, open the IoT device app and go through the steps to configure it.
    Once the device is configured, the smartphone app will work no matter how it is connected to WiFi.
    (It will even work when "away from home". - so you can really mess with the family!)
  • After the device is connected, reverse the steps
    Check the box "Broadcast SSID" and "Apply"
    On the smartphone "Forget Orbi WiFi"
    On the smartphone Search for the Orbi WiFi and connect.

It sounds more complicated than it is.  Can you give this a try?

Message 2 of 3
thatguy01
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 SSID issues

Thank you for the comprehensive reply!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements