Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Satellite dropping connection

jung89
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Satellite dropping connection

I have been using the Orbi RBK50 for 5 months.  All of sudden, the satellite is dropping connection constantly.  I have checked the Firware version as suggested by many and it is on the lastest rev: 2.1.3.4  I have done factory reset and resync to no avail.  Any other suggestions?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
AC641
Luminary

Downgrade your firmware to v2.1.2.18.  I had similar issues as have others and reverting to the previous firmware resolved the issue.

Message 2 of 8
jung89
Aspirant

I will do it now...do I have to downgrade the router to the same firmware version I assume?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

After you updated to v2.1.3.4, you needed to perform a factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set them up from scratch. Many other others reported having continued issues after the FW update however doing a reset on everything and set up from scratch resolved there problems. I saw this as well. v2.1.3.4 works well. Ya the factory reset isn't normal however for this one specifc version of FW, it's needed. Please give it a try. 

@jung89 wrote:

I have been using the Orbi RBK50 for 5 months.  All of sudden, the satellite is dropping connection constantly.  I have checked the Firware version as suggested by many and it is on the lastest rev: 2.1.3.4  I have done factory reset and resync to no avail.  Any other suggestions?

Message 4 of 8
RobertHBJ
Aspirant

My case:  satellite internet dropping, all devices connects to it drop internet and happens in about every 20-30 mins.  I've tried both Firmware v2.1.2.18  & v2.1.3.4 with reset, none of them fixed the issue. So i ended up with v2.1.3.4 but running an ehternet cable to satellite Orbi, make it enternet backhaul. Did it couple days ago. Seems like it works for me for now, no droppping.......yet 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Any other wireless neighbors near by? if so, how many and what channels are they using? 

If you did a factory reset on both router and satellite, you should be good for either wireless or wired back haul. There maybe some factors in wireless that could be problematic, like interferences. 

@RobertHBJ wrote:

My case:  satellite internet dropping, all devices connects to it drop internet and happens in about every 20-30 mins.  I've tried both Firmware v2.1.2.18  & v2.1.3.4 with reset, none of them fixed the issue. So i ended up with v2.1.3.4 but running an ehternet cable to satellite Orbi, make it enternet backhaul. Did it couple days ago. Seems like it works for me for now, no droppping.......yet 

Message 6 of 8
RobertHBJ
Aspirant

At the time it dropps, i turned off everything but just orbi and a laptop. It still droped in about every 20 mins. I did factory reset both but no luck back to the time. I have fibre connection and an optical network terminal on the wall, so i've plugged Orbi right into the ONT with VLAN/Bridge group enabled. Using Orbi in router mode, not sure if this setup has something to do with the internet issue.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you still have access to the routers web page when the drop happens? 

You might try the ONT in router mode and change the Orbi router to AP mode and connect one of this LAN ports to one of the ONTs LAN ports. 

@RobertHBJ wrote:

At the time it dropps, i turned off everything but just orbi and a laptop. It still droped in about every 20 mins. I did factory reset both but no luck back to the time. I have fibre connection and an optical network terminal on the wall, so i've plugged Orbi right into the ONT with VLAN/Bridge group enabled. Using Orbi in router mode, not sure if this setup has something to do with the internet issue.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7