Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Satellite loses internet connection when using WIRED backhaul

sgualandri
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Satellite loses internet connection when using WIRED backhaul

I am reposting this with some corrections to the title and to the discussion text.

I've been running a Netgear Orbi RBR50 with 2 RBS50 Satellites for well over a year.  This morning we had no internet connection.  After rebooting the devices, the network still did not work as it did before.  I then disconnected the ethernet connection on the RBS50 satellite that was using wired backhaul and rebooted the devices again.  This worked.  

After I was sure that things were working okay.  I plugged the ethernet cable into the satellite for wired backhaul and went away for about 1hr or more.  When I came back, the entire orbi mesh did not have a wireless connection.  I repeated the process (wireless backhaul, reboot, etc) and the network came back.  I decided to do a complete factory reset on all 3 devices.  The end result was the same.  If the satellite used wired backhaul, none of the network worked.  If the satellite used wireless backhaul, things worked.  I am stumped.

All devies are running firmware: V2.2.1.210

"Enable Daisy-Chain Topology" is not checked / off

I have tested the ethernet cord used for backhaul and it is fine.  Any suggestions other than giving up on wired backhaul?

Message 1 of 6
sgualandri
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR50 Satellite loses internet connection when using WIRED backhaul

I've done some more testing.  The problem may be with my main Orbi base unit, RBR50.  It seems that the outgoing ethernet ports may no longer be working.  I've tried connecting directly to an ethernet port with my laptop and it will not assign an IP address.  If the outgoing ethernet ports are not working that would explain the issues that I am having with the wired backhaul.

Steve

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 3 of 6
sgualandri
Tutor

After isolating the problem to the RBR50 ethernet ports, I spent some time online with Netgear support.  Initial tests confirmed that the RBR50 was not handing out IP addresses to devices connected on the ethernet ports.  We then used two different laptops (one Mac, one Windows) to directly connect to the RBR50.  Initially we continued to get a local assigned (bad) IP of 168.254.....

We then went to the routers Advanced Settings tab and reviewed the LAN PORT statistics using "Show Statistics".  We were looking at the status column for LAN1, LAN2, and LAN3.  They were either reporting "1000M/Full" or "Link Down".  We then walked the ethernet cable through all LAN ports using both laptops.  Each time a correct IP address was granted.

Thinking the case was closed, we ended the call.  I then connected all my other ethernet cables back to the RBR50 ethernet ports.  Then it stopped working again.  Long story short, the ethernet cord from the RBR50 to my gigabit switch was somehow causing all the ethernet ports to fail on the RBR50.  When I disconnected that cable, everthing worked fine.  My setup is Google Fiber Jack -> Goolge Modem/Router -> RBR50.  The RBR50 is in AP bypass mode.  For now, I simply connected the ethernet cable on the gigabit switch directly to the Google Router.  All my devices are online and working fine.  When I get the time, I will try connecting the gigabit switch back to the Orbi RBR50 and see if I still encounter a problem.  It may be that power cycling the switch removed the issue but I have not tried it yet.  My family is tired of me rebooting the network every 10min.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would get an RMA ASAP...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats