Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 + Satellite wifi dropouts, wired/wireless setup

Soyuz
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 + Satellite wifi dropouts, wired/wireless setup

Hi all! I have a RBK50 system (RBR50 router + RBS50 satellite) which is giving me lots of trouble with the wifi connection. Let me explain my setup please:

Internet comes from the ISP router in bridge mode (acting as a modem only) -> wired to Orbi RBR50 router

Orbi router is wired to: 

• D-Link DGS-104 Gigabit switch
  • LG TV
  • Philips Hue Bridge

That D-Link switch is wired to:

• Wall ethernet port, usually connected to a MacBook
  • A 2nd Gigabit switch (TP-Link TL-SG1005D)

In its turn, the TP-Link switch is wired to a Sony TV, Playstation 4 and Apple TV.

On the other hand, the RBS-50 satellite is wirelessly linked to the RBR50, for expanding the wireless coverage (it's around 13 feet away from the RBR50, in clear sight).

Lastly, there are a variety of devices connected wirelessly to the Orbi network: smart lights, Nuki Smart Lock, LG fridge, LG washing machine, NetAtmo Energy and Weather, some iPhones and iPads, etc.

The point is that I’m suffering very frequent wifi dropouts. The connection seems to freeze for a while and then recovers itself. But sometimes, that “while” is 1 or 2 minutes long (and sometimes even more!). It’s really annoying and it prevents me to use critical devices like the Smart Lock with reliability.

I’ve discarded some possible error sources: the ISP company says that my connection and modem is ok, and I've also checked all the ethernet wiring with a cable tester, replacing some damaged cables, but the wifi problem persists.

I've tried some Orbi configurations that I've seen in the forum, without luck. Any clues? Thank you so much!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

"On the other hand, the RBS-50 satellite is wirelessly linked to the RBR50, for expanding the wireless coverage (it's around 13 feet away from the RBR50, in clear sight)." 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 9
Soyuz
Aspirant

Hello, thank you!

Firmware version: 2.5.2.4

ISP modem model: Mitrastar GPT-2541 GNAC

WIFI neighbours: 3

About distance between satellite and router: never imagined that "being too close" could be a problem. I thought the opposite would be.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance between the RBR and RBS is important. 

Also you might update to v40:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Others have posted that v4 isn't working well...Or downgrade to v16.

Message 4 of 9
Soyuz
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer!

- I've updated both router and satellite to 2.6.140

- I've moved my satellite upstairs (I live in a duplex), to the opposite side of the house (>30 feet), and now it's connected by ethernet to the TP-Link switch, so I have wired backhaul.

I'll wait for a day to see how it performs, but I'm afraid that now I have some dead zones downstairs that I did not have before (maybe adding a RBS20 satellite downstairs would help? But it would be a bit less that 30 feet to the router, with some walls inbetween though...).

BTW, my Advanced Wireless settings are:

20/40 MHz Coexistence enabled

WMM enabled for 2.4 and 5GHz

Daisy chain topology disabled

Implicit Beamforming enabled

MU-MIMO enabled

Fast roaming disabled

Message 5 of 9
Soyuz
Aspirant

...bad experience with the new Satellite placement (annoying dead zones). I've moved it to another point (still upstairs) and now everything seems fine (without wired backhaul though). Let's see how this performs in terms of wifi dropouts...

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
Soyuz
Aspirant

Well, after some days of testing, the situation stays the same: frequent dropouts in wireless internet, sometimes for a long time (several hours yesterday). It's really annoying, not only because you can't do any surfing, but specially because critical devices like hue lights, smart lock, etc... are completely unreliable.

After searching for answers in this forum, I see that it's a very frequent problem (rbr50 dropouts site:community.netgear.com), so I'm afraid that the whole system is unstable by nature. This is what supposedly serious and specialized reviews don't tell you. I'm planning to replace it with some other brand.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading to v16 as a last resort. Possible you have a faulty system as well. 

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7