Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Satellite with Switch Not Working

Halewafa
Guide

Orbi RBR50 Satellite with Switch Not Working

Hi All,

Here's the situation. I have my Orbi router upstairs in my office, then have one of the satellites backhauled downstairs in the basement. I have an ethernet running through the walls from the satellite to my theater. I wasn't smart enough when remodeling my basement to run more than one ethernet to the theater, now I'm in need of additional wired connections (my Roku keeps buffering playing PLEX movies when running on wireless).

I decided to get a switch to connect to the ethernet running from the satellite to the theater, where I could then have wired connections to my Xbox One and my Roku, but that doesn't seem to be working. I bought a TP-LINK  5-port switch (TL-SG105). After reading some more, it seems like it may be because it has "Green" technology. I found a thread where someone recommended using a Netgear GS series switch. I looked at those (GS305), but even those talk about energy efficiency. Is a switch being "energy efficient" different than it being "green"? I want to make sure before ordering another switch.

And just to confirm, there shouldn't be any issues with this setup: Router --> Satellite --> Switch --> Roku/Xbox?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Halewafa
Guide

Alright, after a lot of work I finally found the (easy) solution...

1. From running the ethernet signal test from the satellite to the theater, it was determined that the ethernet cable was only sending signals 5-8, missing 1-4.

2. I recrimped the cable to make sure that wasn't the problem, still only received signals 5-8.

3. Got a new Cat 6 cable to pull through the walls, discovered the problem when pulling out the old cable, something (I assume a mouse) had chewed halfway through the cable....

4. Once the new Cat 6 was in place, plugged it into the satellite and the switch, everything worked perfectly.

5. Happy to report that going Router --> Satellite --> Switch --> Roku/Xbox/etc. works with no issues. The switch I used was a TP-Link (TL-SG105).

Thanks again @CrimpOn for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you please describe what is not working in more detail.

I have a TP-Link TL-108E (managed) switch connected to my Orbi router and my entire office hangs off it (computer, printer, Raspberry Pi's, Powerline adapter).  Never a hiccup.  So, not only is my switch "green", it is also "managed".  There are indeed "mysterious problems" when a switch is between the router and satellite, but this is the first I've heard of issues between an Orbi unit and user devices?

Message 2 of 9
Halewafa
Guide

Thanks for the reply.

So I have my router wired to my satellite, then my satellite wired to the switch. Anything I plug into the switch isn't receiving an internet connection. I have a few things plugged into the satellite that are working no problem.

I thought the switch would be plug-in-play, but are there any settings I need to change with the orbi? I did a reboot after plugging in the switch. No issues with the ethernet cables either, tested all of them.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

What happens when the switch is removed? i.e. the XBox or the Roku is plugged directly into the cable leading to the satellite?

I am constantly annoyed that Netgear saved 10 cents by leaving off the LED's on the ethernet jacks.  Fortunately, the TL-105 has LED's on each port.  Do they light up when devices are plugged in? 

Does the Orbi "Attached Device" web page show the XBox and Roku as connected?  I don't have a Roku, so I am not aware of how the network is configured to change from WiFi connection to ethernet connection.

Do you have Access Control enabled?  The Roku ethernet adapter will have a different MAC address than the Roku WiFi adapter.

Message 4 of 9
Halewafa
Guide

The Xbox and Roku connect no problem if plugged directly into the ethernet cable coming off the satellite.

All lights are green (showing a 1000 connection, would be yellow if 100/10).

Neither show up as connected devices when plugged into the switch. I don't see the switch as a connected device either, but not sure if I should.

I do not have access control on.
Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Halewafa wrote:
The Xbox and Roku connect no problem if plugged directly into the ethernet cable coming off the satellite.

All lights are green (showing a 1000 connection, would be yellow if 100/10).

Neither show up as connected devices when plugged into the switch. I don't see the switch as a connected device either, but not sure if I should.

I do not have access control on.

An unmanaged switch will not ask for an IP address, so not "seeing" the switch is normal.  I wonder if the Roku or XBox communicate when not connected to a TV?  Would be interesting to connect the switch directly to the satellite with a patch cable, connect the Roku to the switch and see if it "appears" when in the same room.  Do you have any other devices with ethernet jacks, such as laptops?

I am stuck.  If all three ports on the switch have correct LED's (satellite, Roku, XBox), then it should work.  Does the traffic LED flicker?

Message 6 of 9
Halewafa
Guide

So... I may have figured out the issue. Just ran an RJ45 signal test on the cable going from the satellite to the theater, and the sequence wasn't going 1-8, looks like it was just doing 4-8, so theres an issue with the cable. Looks like I'll have to buy a crimping tool to fix it and try again. I'll report back if thats what the issue was!

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

As the Brits would say, "Jolly good show."

Message 8 of 9
Halewafa
Guide

Alright, after a lot of work I finally found the (easy) solution...

1. From running the ethernet signal test from the satellite to the theater, it was determined that the ethernet cable was only sending signals 5-8, missing 1-4.

2. I recrimped the cable to make sure that wasn't the problem, still only received signals 5-8.

3. Got a new Cat 6 cable to pull through the walls, discovered the problem when pulling out the old cable, something (I assume a mouse) had chewed halfway through the cable....

4. Once the new Cat 6 was in place, plugged it into the satellite and the switch, everything worked perfectly.

5. Happy to report that going Router --> Satellite --> Switch --> Roku/Xbox/etc. works with no issues. The switch I used was a TP-Link (TL-SG105).

Thanks again @CrimpOn for your help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7