Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 + Sats refusing some device connections(ecobee & tplink Kasa Cams)

Skyeclad
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 + Sats refusing some device connections(ecobee & tplink Kasa Cams)

For about 8 months now I've had tremendous success with the Orbi and its 2 satellites. The number of devices simultaneously connected to the network number in the 30's. For 8 months, I've had no issues at all until tonight. 

When I came home, I noticed that my 4 smart wifi switches were all disconnected and then I noticed that 2 out of 4 of my wireless Kasa cams were as well. Determining that the common issue was the Orbi. I rebooted Orbi and its satellites and I was able to connect the switches although it took an unusually long time. I noted that it didn't appear as if any new firmware updates had taken place and the satellites were connecting fine.

With that being said, I noticed that I could no longer connect the TP link Kasa cameras and an additional 2 ecobee devices could no longer connect, although a 3rd device had no issues.

I am on firmware V2.2.1.210 for all 3 Orbi devices. DHCP is on. Daisy Chain is off. Channel is Auto. Implicit Beamforming is enabled. For the most part, no settings were changed and I don't believe that any new devices have been introduced recently.  

Any way to determine why the devices that were connected so readily yesterday no longer have the ability to connect today such as my Kasa Cams? 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Skyeclad
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR50 + Sats refusing some device connections(ecobee & tplink Kasa Cams)

Ok, I backed up my settings, reset the router and restored the settings and voila, I am now able to connect my Kasa Cams! So, I guess the problem was that something just went haywire and it needed to be fully reset to get back to working again.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of these smart switchs? Orbi seems to have some issues with manged, smart or green ethernet switches. Can you try the Orbi system with out the switches i the mix for a while to see if the problem continues 

When you say Daisy chain is disbled, is the check mark uncheck next to the check box or is it checked? If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 2 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

My wall switches are Meross MSS510. My home is 3700 sq ft and I have 2 satellites. Daisy Chain is not checked and the network topology looks like the setting is indeed off. Network signal looks good. What doesn't seem to be happening is that the router isn't providing an ip address to select devices that are working fine this morning.
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I see what your referring to in regards to your device.

What is the distance between the base router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA then see if WPA2 only works better

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

What is the distance between the base router and satellite(s)? I would say that both are less than 30' distance from the router and 1 has direct line of sight with no walls.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I am now using Channel 11.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? I have 1 neighbor.

What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA then see if WPA2 only works better. I am using WPA2.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). I'm not at home at the moment but I know that MIMO is unchecked and I unchecked Coexistence 40/20. I don't see any setting to set 40Mhz only. I don't know if IPv6 is checked.

Since our last correspondence, I managed to get the Ecobee's connected. It seems to be an issue with obtaining an IP address. The first several connection attempts, I was able to connect to the router but the IP address was a local one and the device couldn't connect to the internet. After a couple of attempts, the device finally received an IP address. If the automated attempt wouldn't work, then I was going to try to set a static address on the Ecobee to see if it would help. The Kasa Cam has no manual Wifi entries that I know of, I'll have to check later. From my persepctive, this is what seems to be the issue, devices are able to see a strong wifi signaal but Orbi is having trouble assigning IP addresses to some devices. This has not been an issue before so I'm not sure what changed now. Any advice for this kind of issue?

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. IF there too close to each other, this causes the wifi over lap between them to cause problems in the operation. 

If you unchecked 20/40 Coexistence, then this puts the router into 40Mhz only. 

If you do get the devices to get an IP address, I would set up a IP address reservation ON the router for these devices to ensure they get the same address next time they connet. Find this under Advanced Tab/Lan Setup

I some cases its not the router giving IPs, there maybe a problem at the device itself in how it handles connecting to the router and getting an IP address. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Adding-2-4-ghz-devices-to-Orbi/m-p/1687363/highlight/true#M494...

Message 6 of 17
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I am curious. When you say the devices are seeing a strong wifi signal, how are you checking this? In actuality, If they are having 2.4GHz connection problems with Orbi, naturally they will not get an IP address (but show up in non connected allowed devices). Because you can sometimes get the devices to connect and get an IP, signal integrity seems to be a leading candidate (though not the only one by far). What is the db level using something like Wifi Analyzer at the device on 2.4GHz? Also do you see any other overlapping or interfering 2.4GHz signals? The fact that you have various 2.4GHz products doing this, yet are not reporting any strange activity with your phone or a laptop getting IP's and connecting, leads me to suspect there is a 2.4GHz problem that may be hardware or new interference, more than settings that were previously working.

Message 7 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

I agree, I don't see how previously working settings are now an issue. I also find it odd that I'm having issues on devices that use both bands ie. 2.4Ghz Ecobees and Meross Smart Switches and Kasa Cams(2.4Ghz/5Ghz). 

As there are no new devices in the home that could have created new interference, I'm at a loss to speculate what might be the problem. I'm going to try to manually connect to the router using the Kasa App, if that's possible and I'll try to setup an IP address reservation.

Message 8 of 17
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

The Kasa cams may not be getting enough of a good 5GHz signal to actually be hooking up on 5GHz anyway. Not sure if they ever did, without the knowledge. When you do get connection, what band is it on? The fact something is dual band like your cams does not necessarily mean they can hook up if the 5GHz signal is naturally weak at their location. Without information, I would not rely on thinking that your cameras are or have been able to get enough of a useful 5GHz signal in the past. In most cases on wireless cameras, most manufacturers do not even try to go dual band for this reason.

Message 9 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

One camera is in the same room as the Orbi Router and the other Camera is within 10 feet of a satellite. Now, I can't be sure what band they are on but a 5ghz signal should be available. 

Message 10 of 17
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Check the web GUI. 192.168.1.1. When connected on Attached Devices it will tell you what band the devices are hooked to.

Message 11 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

Good point. The issue though is that I cannot get the device to connect to the router in order to show the connection in the web GUI. When I run through the device's set-up program on my Android phone it asks what network to connect to. I tell it to connect to Orbi and then it attempts to do so but is no longer able to. 

When this happend with the Ecobee last night, I first was able to connect to the router but the IP address was an internal local IP that the ecobee defaulted to. After repeated attempts, the Ecobee's finally obtained an IP address. Unfortunately, at the moment, my smartphone is telling me that 1 of the 3 Ecobee's is no longer online.

Sigh. I'm wondering if I should factory reset my Orbi altogether? 

Message 12 of 17
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Oh. Yeah, I would try a factory reset. I would also get the wifi analyzer going on my phone after the reset to see what all the signals strengths are from the router and satellites. But definitely at this point a factory reset will not hurt and give you a chance to start fresh in your quest. Any anomolous event that may have affected your Orbi (like power outage) may be rectified. 

Message 13 of 17
randomousity
Luminary

I'm going to take this in a completely different direction and ask whether you have access control enabled (under advanced > security > access control), and, if so, whether you have the access rule set to allow or block new devices? There are issues with access control on this firmware version that can cause allowed devices to be erroneously blocked. Check the settings, and if access control is enabled, check whether the problem devices are listed as blocked. You can try changing them to allowed, but you may need to either set the default rule to allow new devices, or, failing that, disable access control altogether.

Hopefully, this will be resolved in future firmware updates. If you've checked, or access control is disabled, then disregard. It's just something that occurred to me that I haven't seen mentioned so far in this thread.

Message 14 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

@randomousity wrote:

I'm going to take this in a completely different direction and ask whether you have access control enabled (under advanced > security > access control), and, if so, whether you have the access rule set to allow or block new devices? There are issues with access control on this firmware version that can cause allowed devices to be erroneously blocked. Check the settings, and if access control is enabled, check whether the problem devices are listed as blocked. You can try changing them to allowed, but you may need to either set the default rule to allow new devices, or, failing that, disable access control altogether.

Hopefully, this will be resolved in future firmware updates. If you've checked, or access control is disabled, then disregard. It's just something that occurred to me that I haven't seen mentioned so far in this thread.

Thank you for considering this. It looks like all new devices are allowed and nothing seems to be blocked at the device level.

Message 15 of 17
Skyeclad
Tutor

Ok, I backed up my settings, reset the router and restored the settings and voila, I am now able to connect my Kasa Cams! So, I guess the problem was that something just went haywire and it needed to be fully reset to get back to working again.
Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Somethings this can happen. Way a reset and restore is a good thing. Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. Mark this as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Skyeclad wrote:

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7