Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Separate wifi bands

nickduts
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Separate wifi bands

How do I separate my 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on my Netgear Orbi RBR50 system without them resetting again. I have done some research and found out how to separate them however after about 10minutes the 5ghz said disappears and only the 2.4ghz one remains and it is the only one is being used. How do I prevent this from happening (How do I make sure they stay separate and not revert back to how they were before I separated them automatically)
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
nickduts
Aspirant

Yes and no. Sometimes it switches in the same place and my link speed drops significantly and sometimes when I move. Honestly, the reason I was trying to fiddle with the bands is to maintain a higher and constant link speed. I feel like I may have solved this issue though, I went into the advanced settings and I've enabled 5ghz SSID broadcast, my phone has been on the 5ghz band since and my link speed is much better now. Thanks for the help and if you have any other ideas or find another solution, please do let me know.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
nickduts
Aspirant

ssid* not said
Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The short answer is, "you cannot."  The long answer is: "What are you trying to accomplish?"  There must be some reason to want to do this.

If the answer is, "I demand that my WiFi have separate SSID's for 2.4G and 5G so that I must keep track of which WiFi each of my devices connects to", Orbi is not the correct product.

Message 3 of 10
nickduts
Aspirant

I'm just trying to ensure that I have the highest speeds coming into my devices based on what they can use for example: My phone supports 5ghz and for some reason Orbi only puts it on the 2.4ghz band and I can't use the full potential of my phone or my router because my router isn't assigning the fastest band possible to my phone even though signal wise, the signal strength is fine with both hands.
Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The accepted understanding is that the device decides which WiFi channel to join, not the router.  My Sony Xperia, for example, always connects to the Orbi at 5G.  (as does my wife's iPhone & iPad, my Galaxy Tablet, my 2.4G/5G WiFi cameras, etc.)  I suspect there is something else going on which is affecting your phone.

Have you tried "forgetting" the Orbi WiFi, locating the phone close to the Orbi and then searching for WiFi?

Mind sharing which brand/model of phone this is?

Message 5 of 10
nickduts
Aspirant

I see your point and what I've been noticing for the past couple of hours since I've tried separating the bands is that my phone switches between 2.4 and 5ghz quite frequently. My phone is a Huawei Mate20 Pro and I've never encountered connectivity issues of any kind with it however again, you make a good point. I wonder if there is any way to force it to stay on 5ghz...
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the phone switch when it remains in one spot?

Message 7 of 10
nickduts
Aspirant

Yes and no. Sometimes it switches in the same place and my link speed drops significantly and sometimes when I move. Honestly, the reason I was trying to fiddle with the bands is to maintain a higher and constant link speed. I feel like I may have solved this issue though, I went into the advanced settings and I've enabled 5ghz SSID broadcast, my phone has been on the 5ghz band since and my link speed is much better now. Thanks for the help and if you have any other ideas or find another solution, please do let me know.
Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my goodness, thank  YOU.  It had not occured to me to ask if the 5G SSID was being broadcast.  No wonder the phone was not connecting to it.  There is always this balance between asking narrow specific questions and "shotgunning" a laundry list of items that overwhelm people.  I err on the side of "less is more."  Missed it on this one!

Hope the Orbi does well for you.

Message 9 of 10
nickduts
Aspirant

Thanks and honestly if you have time, you should check if your 5ghz band is being broadcasted in the advanced settings because I feel like this was disabled by default which is weird because then how were my devices connecting to the 5ghz in the first place, anyway, Thanks for your help.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7