Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Slow Upload Speed

BurningBronze
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Slow Upload Speed

Hi,

Just recently I lost almost all Upload capability with my home internet on my Orbi RBR50 system. I did get a new cable modem from Spectrum last week, however when I direct connect a laptop to the modem port I get the 20 Mbps I pay for. Same when I connect over the patch cord at the other end of my house- 20 Mbps. When I connect that same cable to my Orbi, reboot it and perform the Orbi admin menu Speedtest, I get less than 1 Mbps. I've speedtested via wifi, direct PC connection to a router port and via the Orbi Admin menu. All results are essentially the same speeds.

Any ideas? Could the port on my Orbi be malfunctioning?

My Orbi is currently at firmware 2.3.1.6- I tried rolling back from 2.3.5.30! (Both had the same Upload problem and test results unfortunately so tonight I can update them to current firmware again)

Spectrum modem is a Hitron eMTA E31N2V1

Manual channel setting is 1 on 2.4 Ghz
WPA2-PSK (AES) Security

Enabled Beamforming, MIMO and WMM; Disabled Fast Roaming, IPv6 and20/40 Mhz Coexistence is 40 Mhz only. (These last settings seemed to get me from under 1 Mbps to just over 1 Mbps when I check the speedtest.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
BurningBronze
Aspirant

Hi,

I ended up running a new Cat6 cable from my cable modem to the RBR50 port. So far all speeds are approximately what they should be. I had already reset my modem and router similar to how you suggested. Until I encounter more issues such as from an upgrade or modem change I'll leave everything as is and hope I continue to receive the proper speeds.

Thanks,

Gregory

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser. Be sure to not enable Circle, Armor, Traffic Meter, QoS or Access Controls. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the RBR and speed test. Try with a different PC as well to compare. Besure your PC isn't running any background applications as well before speed testing. 

@BurningBronze wrote:

Hi,

Just recently I lost almost all Upload capability with my home internet on my Orbi RBR50 system. I did get a new cable modem from Spectrum last week, however when I direct connect a laptop to the modem port I get the 20 Mbps I pay for. Same when I connect over the patch cord at the other end of my house- 20 Mbps. When I connect that same cable to my Orbi, reboot it and perform the Orbi admin menu Speedtest, I get less than 1 Mbps. I've speedtested via wifi, direct PC connection to a router port and via the Orbi Admin menu. All results are essentially the same speeds.

My Orbi is currently at firmware 2.3.1.6- I tried rolling back from 2.3.5.30! (Both had the same Upload problem and test results unfortunately so tonight I can update them to current firmware again)

WPA2-PSK (AES) Security

Enabled Beamforming, MIMO and WMM; Disabled Fast Roaming, IPv6 and20/40 Mhz Coexistence is 40 Mhz only. (These last settings seemed to get me from under 1 Mbps to just over 1 Mbps when I check the speedtest.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@BurningBronze wrote:

Hi,

WPA2-PSK (AES) Security

Message 3 of 5
BurningBronze
Aspirant

Hi,

I ended up running a new Cat6 cable from my cable modem to the RBR50 port. So far all speeds are approximately what they should be. I had already reset my modem and router similar to how you suggested. Until I encounter more issues such as from an upgrade or modem change I'll leave everything as is and hope I continue to receive the proper speeds.

Thanks,

Gregory

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies