Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Speed Half ISP

VFMass
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Speed Half ISP

I am using the RBR50 (V2.3.5.30). I have Verizon FIOS 1GB. When I run Google, Bing, Orbi speed tests, they all max out around 300MB. When I used verizon.com/speedtest it shows the router speed at 940MB before timing out.

I've read posts on the forum about speed tests not being able to handle 1GB speeds... including Orbi's. Is it safe to assume I'm actually getting the speeds, but not able to measure them accurately?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBR50 Speed Half ISP

@VFMass wrote:

I am using the RBR50 (V2.3.5.30). I have Verizon FIOS 1GB. When I run Google, Bing, Orbi speed tests, they all max out around 300MB. When I used verizon.com/speedtest it shows the router speed at 940MB before timing out.

I've read posts on the forum about speed tests not being able to handle 1GB speeds... including Orbi's. Is it safe to assume I'm actually getting the speeds, but not able to measure them accurately?

whta type of verizon gear are you running, i.e. modem and or router?

Message 2 of 6
VFMass
Aspirant

I believe that it's simply a modem—they installed the hardware years ago and I connect directly to the Orbi via CAT5e—which then goes to an unmanaged gigabit switch.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Have you powered OFF both modem and RBR for 1 minute then power ON the Modem and let it sync then power ON the RBR then test again? 

Try a different PC or laptop to compare speeds. 

@VFMass wrote:

I believe that it's simply a modem—they installed the hardware years ago and I connect directly to the Orbi via CAT5e—which then goes to an unmanaged gigabit switch.

Message 4 of 6
VFMass
Aspirant

The switch is a TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (TL-SG1016D) and modem is Arris (ONT14842-VZ). Yes, for the power cycle!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

This switch seems to have Green Ethernet features. "Innovative energy-efficient technology saves power consumption". Something that is known to cause some problems for orbi. https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1016d/

Have you directly connected your PC to the back of the ONT to check speeds. Then connect your pc to the back of the RBR to check speeds? 

You might factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch as a last resort. Be sure to not use QoS, Traffic Meter, don't enable Armor or Circle. 

Might update FW as well. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@VFMass wrote:

The switch is a TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (TL-SG1016D) and modem is Arris (ONT14842-VZ). Yes, for the power cycle!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7