Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - Trouble connecting to a Campchef Woodwind 24 smoker.

Jerreemon
Follower

Orbi RBR50 - Trouble connecting to a Campchef Woodwind 24 smoker.

Hi guys, 

Need help! 

I recently purchased a Campchef Woodwind 24. I have been trying to update the latest firmware. It appears that app will not connect to the server. 

I have researched a lot and it appears that it appears to be a relatively common problem with people with mesh networks and these type of WIFI Grills (Traeger, weber, in my case Campchef).

I have attempted to Change the 2.4GHz channel to 1, 6, 11. I've lowered the power of the 5ghz to 25%, unchecked the 'enable SSID broadcast' box, + un checked 'enable daisy chain topology'...still unable to update the firmware on the Campchef PID + connect to their servers.

Any1 have any ideas????

Cheers,

Jerry

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Trouble connecting to a Campchef Woodwind 24 smoker.

what modem/gateway do you have? 
it connects to your network? It just won't update?

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Trouble connecting to a Campchef Woodwind 24 smoker.

@Jerreemon wrote:

I recently purchased a Campchef Woodwind 24. I have been trying to update the latest firmware. It appears that app will not connect to the server. 

I have researched a lot and it appears that it appears to be a relatively common problem with people with mesh networks and these type of WIFI Grills (Traeger, weber, in my case Campchef).

I have attempted to Change the 2.4GHz channel to 1, 6, 11. I've lowered the power of the 5ghz to 25%, unchecked the 'enable SSID broadcast' box, + un checked 'enable daisy chain topology'...still unable to update the firmware on the Campchef PID + connect to their servers.

As @plemans mentioned, the way this post is worded does not make clear if the problem is

• Connecting the grill controller to the WiFi network, or
  • After the grill controller is connected successfully, updating firmware on the grill controller.

Alas, the user manual provides very little information about the process. (pages are not numbered, but it is the page with APP QUICK START GUIDE):

https://www.campchef.com/media/manuals/0420_PG24CL_Booklet.pdf 

The company has an 800 number for support plus "Live Chat" (which does not appear to be operating at 11am west coast time on Friday - maybe a long Memorial Day Weekend?)

99% of devices which mention 2.4G WiFi are simply pointing out the obvious: they installed the least costly WiFi radio chip, which also has the greatest range (2.4G WiFi)  If there is no 2.4G WiFi, then there is nothing for the radio to communicate with and it cannot function.  There can be all the Bluetooth, AM/FM radio, Ham Radio, 5G WiFi in the world. No 2.4G WiFi means "no".

Fortunately, Orbi provides 2.4G WiFi.  It might be worth checking whether the massive metal grill stands directly between the controller and the Orbi WiFi access point.  WiFi does not penetrate metal well.

Most of these devices get set up by creating a temporary WiFi access point. When the smartphone app is started, it looks at the available WiFi SSID's seeking one that has a unique name, perhaps something like "CampChef1234".  App connects to this access point and tells it the WiFi SSID/password to use. The device then connects to the local WiFi and the app can find it on the local WiFi.  Once set up, the controller stops its tiny access point and all communication takes place through the WiFi network.

How far did you get in the setup before "something went wrong?"

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7