Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 USB external hard drive server can't be accessed. Used it as a NAS Help plz!

completely
Guide

Orbi RBR50 USB external hard drive server can't be accessed. Used it as a NAS Help plz!

Attached a WD Element to my Orbi RBR50 via USB port as NAS. Mainly used as music library for SONOS. 

Was working fine.

Now I can't see anything on Netgear app Readyshare menu.

Tried on my Mac Go--Connect to Server, and got "There was a problem connecting to the server readyshare. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

Also tried connecting server "rbr50" on Network menu. I used to access that with no problem. Now it keeps asking me name and password which I never set up.

Who can help me plz? Big big appreciate it!

leeScreen Shot 2018-10-15 at 1.54.03 AM.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 USB external hard drive server can't be accessed. Used it as a NAS Help plz!

Does the drive appear on the Routers web page UI?

Was the FW recently updated? What version of FW is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 10
completely
Guide

FURRYe38, thank you so much for your reply!

Unfortunately, I don't see the USB option on router web page (screenshot attached. I've searched online before, some people say they change USB settings on Advanced page, but mine doesn't have that option.)

The FW is:

Router Firmware Version
V2.2.1.21

it's the most updated ver.

Any suggestions? Appreciate it!

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that NG hasn't really officially released as of yet. 

I think you should look into a USB to LAN adapter for your external USB drive until NG comes out with something for the Orbi. 

Message 4 of 10
completely
Guide

It was working fine though. Hopefully they will have some update to fix this problem.

But do you know the "default" name and password to the ReadyShare server?

I've tried Mac user account name and password, no luck.

Also tried "admin"+"password", didnt work either...

What a bummer to be asked name and password while I've never set it up...

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't. Maybe a moderator can chime in.

@Christian_R

Message 6 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

I have checked this with the team. Orbi has not been updated to use Readyshare features as of right now it only officially supports Readyshare print for printers via the USB.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 10
completely
Guide

Hey Bnalca,

thanks very much for your reply. The point is it had been working since I bought the router. After like two three months, it stopped recognizing the external hard drive...

Any possible explanation for that?

thanks

Message 8 of 10
JohnFeikema
Initiate

Did you get it working again? This is exactly what I want to do. Just purchansede the ORBI but I'll return them if this doesnt work. THanks.

Message 9 of 10
completely
Guide

No luck at all. I’ve searched all over the internet for a solution, no luck. From what I’m guessing, there were some older versions firmware which possibly allowed the external hard drive detectable. However, after an auto update somewhere around this late summer(2018), it stopped working. And NG OFFICIALLY claims this Orbi system USB only supports printer (which means: don’t you blame them for what has changed, because they never meant to let this USB thing happen).
I’d owned an NG ac1750 router for about two years, and the USB connection worked reliably with my Sonos, and you could actually share files anywhere within network.
I’d recommend return the Orbi and read some more reviews...if the external hard drive is very important.
Hope this helped.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7