Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 (V2.7.2.104) device manager does not recognize a device

Roonie
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 (V2.7.2.104) device manager does not recognize a device

Ive gott a router/satellite setup - all devices are dependent on wifi, the satelite has ethernet running into another room with a switch supporting entertainment devices (Mediaplayer, appleTV, TV and media server). Been good for about 18 months. A few weeks ago, the mediaplayer lost access to the internet (used to get show info or download subtitles). It IS on the network, accessing content on the media server. But its not listed on the device list (apart from the "not currently connected list"). Tried auto and fixed IPs - no diff. I was originally suspecting the mediaplayer but given that it doesnt appear on the device list, Im now questioning the orbi. (access control is off). Would appreciate advice

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 (V2.7.2.104) device manager does not recognize a device

If the Orbi was just recently updated to firmware 2.7.2.104 this may be a consequence of the update.

A similar thing happened to me. After a manual firmware update, several devices that were obviously connected and working did not show up in Attached Devices, but were instead listed in the LAN setup as "Allowed devices that were not connected." Very annoying.

I saved the config, did a Factory Reset, and during the new setup I imported the saved configuration.

(a) Yes, this is stupid and should not have happened.

(b) The solution took 15 minutes.

(c) I did not really need to do anything, but was too annoyed to "let it go".

(d) If this had not worked, I would have done a Factory Reset and set the whole thing up from scratch (over two hours).

Sometimes I envy those yokels who just plug the Orbi into their modem and use it. Don't even change the SSID/password.   Configure nothing.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Orbi was just recently updated to firmware 2.7.2.104 this may be a consequence of the update.

A similar thing happened to me. After a manual firmware update, several devices that were obviously connected and working did not show up in Attached Devices, but were instead listed in the LAN setup as "Allowed devices that were not connected." Very annoying.

I saved the config, did a Factory Reset, and during the new setup I imported the saved configuration.

(a) Yes, this is stupid and should not have happened.

(b) The solution took 15 minutes.

(c) I did not really need to do anything, but was too annoyed to "let it go".

(d) If this had not worked, I would have done a Factory Reset and set the whole thing up from scratch (over two hours).

Sometimes I envy those yokels who just plug the Orbi into their modem and use it. Don't even change the SSID/password.   Configure nothing.

Message 2 of 9
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

That would be be ...almost....I did change the SSID and passwordSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Roonie
Tutor

Thanks guys. I will try a backup and reset. The comments did make me wonder though- I don't recall a lot of effort to set up. From memory, credentials, SSID and a vlan tweak - and apart from the recent flaw, I've been really impressed with the Orbi. I get the ISP advertised speeds throughout the (2 storey) house 

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Rereading my post, "Yokels" was not the best descriptor.  What I meant was "people who just want to use WiFi vs. people who want to fuss around with WiFi (me)".

Message 5 of 9
Roonie
Tutor

I certainly wasn't offended by your descriptor- my comment was more about how terrific the product was out-of-the-box.  Downunder, we've recently had a national broadband solution thrusted upon us, with... mixed results. My Orbi purchase was a preemptive strike 2years ago as I suspected the internet point would be placed at the front of the house (where we have no "technology ", leaving the back of the house a dead spot ). A few months later when we finally ditched adsl, the orbi just shone (following a vlan setting). So my response was more about the admiration of the product rather than a taking of offence

Message 6 of 9
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Rereading my post, "Yokels" was not the best descriptor.  What I meant was "people who just want to use WiFi vs. people who want to fuss around with WiFi (me)".

Then there's me, who plugs in router conects the sats and checks to see that the devices in the the home work.  Simple

most of my devices do use WiFi   

and I might add that the simplification is because I've been doing this poop too long.  Years ago I would get all into different configuration or least not be afraid to try the hundreds of switches to squeeze another drop of dial up speed.  Now days I just want my life back.  Plug in and go.   

Message 7 of 9
Roonie
Tutor

Then (as my phsio said) "the enemy of 'good' is 'better' ". Hands up who hasnt shot themselves in the foot starting with a perfectly workable scenario and then tweaked to potentially improve things only to be confronted with a complete cleanup and rebuild...

Message 8 of 9
Roonie
Tutor

Did a backup and reset. Then reconfigured from scratch (just in case there was misleading config details in the backup file). Mediaplayer now appears on list (yay) but still wont pull subtitles or content info. There is a wideget on the player that shows local weather and if I disallow the device from the orbi, then the weather disappears (ie. its not cached or similiar). ==> safe to say that the issue lays with the mediaplayer. Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7