Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 - VERY SLOW client speeds

AaronLTek
Guide

Orbi RBR50 - VERY SLOW client speeds

I've had this installed for a week or so and I'm seeing VERY SLOW, and VERY INCONSISTANT speeds even with line-of-sight and almost any distance.  Please let me know if you've seen this problem, or know a fix. I'm about to give up and get something else.

I've tested several locations but the best example of the problem is this test...

@ 30ft open air, line of sight

Orbi signal strength (PC web page) shows connected on 5Ghz @ 100% signal

WifiMan android app shows 5Ghz @ -59dBm (connected), 2.4Ghz @ -41dBm  BUT only shows 14 to 27Mbps speed!

... I've seen speeds as low as 7Mbps, high as 175mbs, usually 45-60 mbps range.  Speed Jumps around every few seconds and changes can be drastic but the dBM stays steady between 58 to 60dBm

... same speeds testing with the Orbi app and WifiMan app

Neighbor Houses are spread apart so very little, it any, channel interference. Most channels have no neighbors on at all.

For example, the test above  using Wifiman app, only shows 1 SSID on 2.4Ghz at the client location, at -83dBm. No 5Ghz overlaps at all, the only 5Ghz radio is on channel 155 when mine is on 42

Here's my specs...

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.5.1.8
Operation Mode AP
Region North America
2.4G Channel Auto ( 9 )
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P)
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

Advanced settings:

Enable Beamforming

Enable Fast Roaming
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

here's your problem:  Firmware Version V2.5.1.8

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Channel 9 isn't a primary channel to use. Try Auto as well. 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@AaronLTek wrote:

I've had this installed for a week or so and I'm seeing VERY SLOW, and VERY INCONSISTANT speeds even with line-of-sight and almost any distance.  Please let me know if you've seen this problem, or know a fix. I'm about to give up and get something else.

I've tested several locations but the best example of the problem is this test...

WifiMan android app shows 5Ghz @ -59dBm (connected), 2.4Ghz @ -41dBm  BUT only shows 14 to 27Mbps speed!

... I've seen speeds as low as 7Mbps, high as 175mbs, usually 45-60 mbps range.  Speed Jumps around every few seconds and changes can be drastic but the dBM stays steady between 58 to 60dBm

Neighbor Houses are spread apart so very little, it any, channel interference. Most channels have no neighbors on at all.

For example, the test above  using Wifiman app, only shows 1 SSID on 2.4Ghz at the client location, at -83dBm. No 5Ghz overlaps at all, the only 5Ghz radio is on channel 155 when mine is on 42

Here's my specs...

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode AP
Region North America
2.4G Channel Auto ( 9 )
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

Advanced settings:

Enable Beamforming

Enable Fast Roaming

Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Channel 9 isn't a primary channel to use. Try Auto as well. 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@AaronLTek wrote:

Here's my specs...

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode AP
Region North America
2.4G Channel Auto ( 9 )
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

Advanced settings:

Enable Beamforming

Enable Fast Roaming

Factory reset is for lost passwords 

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how this goes. A reset should help here. Also try some of the other suggestions. 

@AaronLTek wrote:

Here's my specs...

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode AP
Region North America
2.4G Channel Auto ( 9 )
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

Advanced settings:

Enable Beamforming

Enable Fast Roaming

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Factory reset is for lost passwords 

Message 6 of 12
theoak
Luminary

Channel 9 for 2.4G seems odd.  I would set it to channel 1; especially, if no one else is around you and/or far.

Is it just the router or is there a satellite floating around too?  Try using just the router and see what you get.

You are also using an Android phone ... you should have gotten an iPhone Smiley Surprised  Oh wait ... wrong forum Smiley Embarassed (joking)

Message 7 of 12
AaronLTek
Guide

Hi All, thx for the help.

The system is a 100% fresh, brand new setup so not going to do a factory reset.

Speed problems are on 5Ghz where there is zero interference from other Wifi radios.

Across ALL APs... 24 devices connect to 5Ghz while only 5 devices connect to 2.4 so it doesn matter but for those asking, Channel is Auto, no clue why it showed (9) but here's what it shows now...

WIRELESS SETTINGS (GENERAL)
RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 3 )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44+48(P)

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

W@AaronLTek wrote:

Speed problems are on 5Ghz where there is zero interference from other Wifi radios.

Across ALL APs... 24 devices connect to 5Ghz while only 5 devices connect to 2.4 so it doesn matter but for those asking, Channel is Auto, no clue why it showed (9) but here's what it shows now...

RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 3 )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44+48(P)

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps

What firmware did you end up with?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

@AaronLTek wrote:

RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 3 )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44+48(P)

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps

Message 10 of 12
AaronLTek
Guide

Problem seems is gone, I now get consistant connections (no dropped connections) and consistant speeds (351 where I was previously gett between 7 and 178, averaging 58). See all my current settings. I only changed 3, all the others were already the same.

I had rebooted all the routers a few times before I made the setting changes so it was def the settings... I'll assume buggy firmware.

1. disabled/unchecked 'Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence'   *** this is for 2.4Ghz radio and my problem was on 5Ghz radio

2. set Premable Mode to 'Short Preamble'   *** maybe this? Still should have not mattered

3. enabled/checked 'Enable Fast Roaming'   *** should have not mattered for as the issue was not about roaming, it was about speeds

Message 11 of 12
AaronLTek
Guide

I still have major problems... I have tried multiple locations around the house, most using Ethernet backhaul. No matter where I try and what settings I try (channel changes, turnig on/off roam and other Advanced settings, etc) it still has the same two issues...

1. Cameras will frequently connect and disconnect, randomly... even though signat there is in the -50dbm range

2. when testing with the Orbi app or Wifi Man app, I'll show great 35-60dbm range all over the house BUT often only get 14-58mbit throughput... while other times I'll get 130-500mbit... in the same spots!

If I put the old ASUS AC68P in the same place as the Orbi in my office I get -38dbm and 866mbit!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7