Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 + Verizon Fios - G1100 + Pure Bridging Mode?

Husker_Dont
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 + Verizon Fios - G1100 + Pure Bridging Mode?

My orbi has always given me problems, orbi blames Verizon, Verizon blames orbi. No one ever helps me.

Verizon Fios - G1100 > Orbi RBR50 > TP-Link TL-SG108E > hard wired connections & hard wired orbi satellite RBS50

I constantly get weird connections issues when I try to connect a hard wired ethernet cable

At some point some one told me to get it working leave fios at 192.168.1.1 and turn orbi to 10.0.0.1?

I am confused about DHCP settings and what they mean for my setup on fios router and orbi router

The new reason I am trying to fix this setup is to I got a raspberry pi to set up pihole and was trying to use this guide to set up pure bridging mode, which some googling suggested is my over all main issue

https://www.flyn.org/notes/g1100-bridge/

but I get the error on the last step:

The Device's IP address should not be in the range of the IP pool

How to I bypass the Verizon router with “pure bridging mode” and let the orbi do everything? From my understanding that is what I need done? Or if I am wrong what can I do to get my network working for me with no issues?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 + Verizon Fios - G1100 + Pure Bridging Mode?

What it sounds like is the Fios is still acting as a router and assigning IP addresses via DHCP.  I see no reason to be assigning an IP address to the Fios router in the first place.  Once it becomes a "bridge", there is no reason to talk to it at all.  (I also liked the steps in the web site that was pointed to: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Pri... 

If the goal is to set up a Pi-hole, the Fios does not need to be put in bridge mode and the Orbi could stay in Access Point mode.

When the Pi-hole is configured, it needs to have DNS servers defined.  Most people seem to pick one of the "big five":

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-dns-server 

In the Fios, simply replace the DNS servers with the IP address of the Pi-hole.  "Done"

The way residential routers work is they act as DNS relays.  Every device on the network is told "I am your DNS server", so every DNS request goes to the router.  Anything in the DNS cache is answered immediately.  Anything not in the cache get looked up from the DNS servers that the router is pointed at, answered (and put into the cache).

So, everybody sends DNS queries to the Fios, the Fios sends them to Pi-hole, and Pi-hole sends them "somewhere".

This makes it easy to test the Pi-hole.  Before reconfiguring the DNS entries on the Fios server, manually define the DNS server on any device to the Pi-hole.  That one device will know, "Pi-hole is my DNS server" while every other device thinks Fios is.  Once you are happy with how Pi-hole is working, then change the Fios DNS servers.

As far as the other issue (about wired computers), it would help to know exactly how Fios and Orbi are configured.

Message 2 of 5
Husker_Dont
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

As far as the other issue (about wired computers), it would help to know exactly how Fios and Orbi are configured.

Specifically what other details can I provide? ! am pretty sure I have it setup now so I have 2 routers, it seems, should I set up orbi in AP mode and leave fios as main router? Would that help fix things? 

Message 3 of 5
Husker_Dont
Aspirant

i forgot to say thank you for your reply!

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Husker_Dont wrote:

Specifically what other details can I provide? ! am pretty sure I have it setup now so I have 2 routers, it seems, should I set up orbi in AP mode and leave fios as main router? Would that help fix things? 

Yes, if they are both "routers" and some devices are wired to Fios and some devices to Orbi, there will be problems communicating between them.  "one router" is the key.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7