Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 White flashing light

JMFarnum
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 White flashing light

I have the White flashing light that many others on here seem to have.

I can't get to the internet to update the Firmware that's been described by others. I hold the reset button for a long period of time hoping to the the White light to turn Amber as others here have stated and that doesn't work.

I used the Chat Support yesterday and was told someone would call me back in 5-15 minutes. No call came.

THe best part is my Warranty expired Dec 29, 2019. So im a couple months passed and now it's dead in the water.

Anyone out there have some thoughts? How can I update the firmware if I can't get to the internet to download it? Or even if I did download it to my laptop using a different WiFi, how do I upload it to my Orbi if I can' access it?

Ugh.......thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 White flashing light

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try this, Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Then back on. Reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC connected to the RBR with a web broswer...This should help you get the RBR re-connected.

The reset button on the RBR only need to be pressed for 15 seconds then release.

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@JMFarnum wrote:

I have the White flashing light that many others on here seem to have.

I can't get to the internet to update the Firmware that's been described by others. I hold the reset button for a long period of time hoping to the the White light to turn Amber as others here have stated and that doesn't work.

The "white light" that pulses on and off is on top of the router, often referred to as the "ring light" because it has the appearance of a (not very round) ring.  The light that turns amber is the LED on the back next to the power plug, which is often called the Power LED.  (very close to the tiny "Reset" hole)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

I used the Chat Support yesterday and was told someone would call me back in 5-15 minutes. No call came.

There is Chat Support from Netgear?  That is only for 90 days.

THe best part is my Warranty expired Dec 29, 2019. So im a couple months passed and now it's dead in the water.

Anyone out there have some thoughts? How can I update the firmware if I can't get to the internet to download it? Or even if I did download it to my laptop using a different WiFi, how do I upload it to my Orbi if I can' access it?

Fortunately, this one is easy.  Download the firmware files to the laptop somewhere else (be sure to get both router and satellite).  Extract (unpack) the "img" files from the "zip" files.  Connect the laptop to one of the Orbi LAN ports with an ethernet cable. 

Firmware files for the Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 are here: https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8 

Message 3 of 14
JMFarnum
Aspirant

When I follow the Setup instructions and plug the supplied cable into the Internet port there are no lights (flashing or otherwise) on the cable port of my ISP Modem. This would indicate information transfer, correct?

Anyway, I tried the install and did recieve a message that the Orbi84 would like to Join my network. I select join and a message immediately appears with states it is Unable to Join.

Also, I cannot find it in my WiFi network to select it manually.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible bad cable? Swap LAN cables between the modem and router? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Can you connect a LAN cable connected PC to the back of the RBR and in a web page access the RBR at 192.168.1.1? 

Do you not see "Orbi84" at all on any of your wireless devices? 

@JMFarnum wrote:

When I follow the Setup instructions and plug the supplied cable into the Internet port there are no lights (flashing or otherwise) on the cable port of my ISP Modem. This would indicate information transfer, correct?

Anyway, I tried the install and did recieve a message that the Orbi84 would like to Join my network. I select join and a message immediately appears with states it is Unable to Join.

Also, I cannot find it in my WiFi network to select it manually.

Message 5 of 14
JMFarnum
Aspirant

It's an ARRIS 

Model TG1672G

My laptop is about a year old and only has 1 ethernet port. So to connect the laptop to the Orbi I need the laptop to use the WiFi.

And Correct, I do not see the Orbi84 network at all.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I would check on getting the Modem into bridge mode if possible. 

Press the reset button on the back of the RBR for 15 seconds then release. The top ring LED should blink WHITE for about a minute, then it should change to slowly pulsating ON and OFF. Does this happen? 

Just connect the laptop to the RBR using the ethernet connection temporarily while you attempt to get the RBR setup. Let us now if you can access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 using the wire connected laptop. You'll eventually get the laptop connected via wireless, if we can get the RBR setup correctly or determine if the RBR is fautly. 

Message 7 of 14
JMFarnum
Aspirant

I don't believe I have a Double Nat situ.

My Coax from my ISP comes into the house and is plugged into the ARRIS modem they supplied. 

I then plug an ethernet cable from the ARRIS directly to the Orbi RBR50. 

We then connect all WiFi devices to the Orbi network. 

I can't access my Orbi even with the ethernet cable from my laptop. unless im just looking in the wrong spot for it.

It might be a lost cause. 

Pisses me off that I spent of $300 for this and it craps the bed 2 months after warranty.

Message 8 of 14
JMFarnum
Aspirant

The amber light next t the power plug never appears when  resetting.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Look at the top ring LED. Does it blink WHITE then Slowly pulsate WHITE after pressing the reset button? 

The model model you have does have a built in router and wifi:

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000NJnzJAAT

I would get with your ISP and have them bridge this modem if possible. Just need to ensure that the modem isn't interfering with getting the RBR connected here.

Or try one of the other suggestions...

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JMFarnum wrote:

My Coax from my ISP comes into the house and is plugged into the ARRIS modem they supplied. 

I then plug an ethernet cable from the ARRIS directly to the Orbi RBR50. 

We then connect all WiFi devices to the Orbi network. 

I can't access my Orbi even with the ethernet cable from my laptop. unless im just looking in the wrong spot for it.

Pisses me off that I spent of $300 for this and it craps the bed 2 months after warranty.

What changed?   If it did work, what changed in your network?  FW, new device?

Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@JMFarnum wrote:

As @FURRYe38 and I pointed out , this Arris box is a combination modem/router/WiFi/telephone device. https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000NJnzJAAT&c=Touchstone%20G... So, yes, unless the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, there ARE two routers.

I then plug an ethernet cable from the ARRIS directly to the Orbi RBR50. The cable goes from the yellow (WAN) jack on the Orbi to one of the ethernet jacks on the back of the Arris?

We then connect all WiFi devices to the Orbi network. Devices are connecting to WiFi now? and the laptop will not?

The Orbi RBR50 should have one yellow (WAN) jack on the back and three white (LAN) jacks.  The laptop should connect to any of the three jacks.

It seems (to me) that the issue is the Orbi worked correctly for (a year and two months?), no longer works, and does not appear to "Factory Reset".  These other topics (Double-NAT, cannot connect, etc.) are immaterial to the problem.  An Orbi will function with a Double-NAT; there are simply some esoteric situations which will fail.

So, the Orbi is "stuck".  Unplugging it, singing (some song for 30 seconds), and plugging it back in doesn't bring it back to life?  The Power LED remains green even with a paperclip stuck into the tiny Reset hole for 15-20 seconds, the Orbi unplugged (with paperclip still in the hole), plugged back in and it still stays green?

Message 12 of 14
JMFarnum
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@JMFarnum wrote:

As @FURRYe38 and I pointed out , this Arris box is a combination modem/router/WiFi/telephone device. https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000NJnzJAAT&c=Touchstone%20G... So, yes, unless the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, there ARE two routers.

I then plug an ethernet cable from the ARRIS directly to the Orbi RBR50. The cable goes from the yellow (WAN) jack on the Orbi to one of the ethernet jacks on the back of the Arris? Yes.

We then connect all WiFi devices to the Orbi network. Devices are connecting to WiFi now? and the laptop will not? THe Orbi doesn't even show up in the WiFi available networks.

The Orbi RBR50 should have one yellow (WAN) jack on the back and three white (LAN) jacks.  The laptop should connect to any of the three jacks.

It seems (to me) that the issue is the Orbi worked correctly for (a year and two months?), no longer works, and does not appear to "Factory Reset".  These other topics (Double-NAT, cannot connect, etc.) are immaterial to the problem.  An Orbi will function with a Double-NAT; there are simply some esoteric situations which will fail.

So, the Orbi is "stuck".  Unplugging it, singing (some song for 30 seconds), and plugging it back in doesn't bring it back to life?  The Power LED remains green even with a paperclip stuck into the tiny Reset hole for 15-20 seconds, the Orbi unplugged (with paperclip still in the hole), plugged back in and it still stays green?

It is definitely "stuck"

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I think it maybe best to contact NG support and ask for additional help and information. If you can't seem to get the RBR back to a ready state, then the RBR maybe in a bad state or now faulty. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7