Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 WiFi works BUT has no Internet

bardiferously
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 WiFi works BUT has no Internet

Recently, the Orbi stopped connecting to the Internet.  A factory reset has been done on the RBR50 and it continues to broadcast WiFi.  My laptop can connect to that WiFi, but there is no Internet with that connection.

The house's modem DSL router (Thomson) still works and broadcasts WiFi with internet.

After holding the Reset button for 10 seconds, the power LED eventually goes solid green and the Ring LED goes out.  The ORBI10 wifi signal is strong and connects with the factory password, but again there is no Internet when connected.

What to do next?  

Help!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 13
bardiferously
Aspirant

Please let me be clear.  This is not any special setup.  It was bought in January this year and installed in late February to a DSL router. 

Essentially, the basic instructions were followed, setting up the RBK50 router & satellite with no real difficulties.  At the time, the 2.1 firmware was questionable, so the 2.0.x.x was reloaded and there were no issues at all.

A guest network was added.

It has worked without issue til recently.  Other than attempting a factory reset, there have been no adjustments.  Auto-update has been on the entire time.

I do not want to get into changing from the factory settings, since it set up easily and has worked well until recently.  Please, there should not be a reason to change any advanced settings, right?

Is it possible to update the firmware without an internet connection with the Orbi network?

Message 3 of 13

@bardiferously wrote: 

Is it possible to update the firmware without an internet connection with the Orbi network?

Most routers allow you to download the firmware and then to upload it from a local file.

There is a manual for the Orbi WiFi System somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Check the section Manually Update Firmware.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP modem has a built in router already, then you should look into one of the suggestions mestioned about modem combos. These can cause problems with the Orbi system running in router mode. Having two routers on the same line can be problematic.

@bardiferously wrote:

Please let me be clear.  This is not any special setup.  It was bought in January this year and installed in late February to a DSL router. 

Essentially, the basic instructions were followed, setting up the RBK50 router & satellite with no real difficulties.  At the time, the 2.1 firmware was questionable, so the 2.0.x.x was reloaded and there were no issues at all.

A guest network was added.

It has worked without issue til recently.  Other than attempting a factory reset, there have been no adjustments.  Auto-update has been on the entire time.

I do not want to get into changing from the factory settings, since it set up easily and has worked well until recently.  Please, there should not be a reason to change any advanced settings, right?

Message 5 of 13

Good point.

The original merssage talked of a DSL router. That should have been a clue to me.

There is no such thing as a DSL router. There are DSL modems, and DSL modem/routers.

So, as @FURRYe38 says, we need to know what the modem is here. It can complicate things greatly.

Message 6 of 13
bardiferously
Aspirant

You are correct, it is a DSL Modem/Router with 4 ethernet ports.  I did say "modem DSL router" but that is a bit confusing.  Should have said 'DSL modem router."

It's a Thomson TG784.  

The service tops out around 9 Mbps, but Orbi had been keeping it around 8 Mbps much further away from either the Orbi router or satellite.  Well worth the investment - - but only when it works!

Am a bit dismayed Man Sad that Netgear doesn't offer any phone/chat support beyond 90 days as part of its 1 year warrany.  Boo. 

Message 7 of 13

@bardiferously wrote:

You are correct, it is a DSL Modem/Router with 4 ethernet ports.  I did say "modem DSL router" but that is a bit confusing.  Should have said 'DSL modem router."

In that case you need to configure things properly.

With two routers on your network, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two separate routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wireless access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

One strategy is to out the modem/router into modem only (bridged) mode. The other is to configure the router as a wireless access point.

Whatever you do, remember that you need to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

@bardiferously wrote:

Am a bit dismayed that Netgear doesn't offer any phone/chat support beyond 90 days as part of its 1 year warrany. 

Warranties are for stuff that breaks because of manufacturing defects, not to support people with setup issues. That is what this place is for, or you can pay for support from GearHead.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Main thing is to get the system to a single NAT condition. Once you do this, you'll be good. Should be at least.

Message 9 of 13
bardiferously
Aspirant

I understand that a modem/router might be configured by default as the same IP address as the Orbi.  I thought the Orbi was intelligent enough to reassign its IP address to avoid the conflict.

So let's start from a new beginning.  

1. Thomson DSL modem/router combo - - model TG784 - - works - - mainly used for WiFi
  2. Orbi RBK50 - - an RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite - - RBR50 router will connect and broadcast a WiFi signal but no Internet
  3. not worrying about the RBS50 satellite until the Orbi router is fully working

Now what?

Message 10 of 13

@bardiferously wrote:

I thought the Orbi was intelligent enough to reassign its IP address to avoid the conflict.

Again, not how it works.

You have put two routers on your network. The Orbi does not expect that. You bought a router and it expects to be router, not something else.

There are plenty of messages around here that explain what you can do.

The most obvious move is to go to the Thomson TG784 modem/router and work out how to use it in modem-only (bridged) mode. Do that and your router can do housekeeping work like the DHCP function and handing out local addresses to things you attach to the network.

If you cannot do that, an alternative is to go to the RBR50 and put that into wireless access point mode so that the modem/router can handle the DHCP stuff.

There are other alternatives, but they can be even more complicated.

You seem to be reluctant to take the advice that @FURRYe38 and I have offered. But believe me, we have seen this one here almost on a daily basis. Neither of us has a magic wand that will change the modes of your hardware by remote  control.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Really need to try one of the suggestions with the ISP modem. It either needs to be fully bridge, or disable the wifi on the modem and use it's DMZ for the Orbi in router mode or use the modem as your host router with wifi disabled on it and then configure AP mode on the Orbi.

I had to configure the same on my friends ISP modem/router when I set his Orbi system up in router mode. His modem is an Arris TG something model. I was able to bridge it and then walked thru the setup wizard and got the Orbi router and satellite set up for router mode. Zero issues since installing it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@bardiferously wrote:

I understand that a modem/router might be configured by default as the same IP address as the Orbi.  I thought the Orbi was intelligent enough to reassign its IP address to avoid the conflict.

So let's start from a new beginning.  

1. Thomson DSL modem/router combo - - model TG784 - - works - - mainly used for WiFi
  2. Orbi RBK50 - - an RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite - - RBR50 router will connect and broadcast a WiFi signal but no Internet
  3. not worrying about the RBS50 satellite until the Orbi router is fully working

Now what?

Message 12 of 13
bardiferously
Aspirant

I understand - am willing to disable the wireless on the Thomson DSL modem/router and set it up in bridge mode.

I did not need to do this the first time I set it up and it ran fine for half a year.

Please, your patience I ask, as the hardware is in Portugal and I am in Baltimore (usa).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7