Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - Wired Connection to detached office

danspyvey
Follower

Orbi RBR50 - Wired Connection to detached office

I have an Orbri RBR50 with one satellite that controls my home (network name orbi09). I have a detached office from the home that has no way of getting a wireless signal to it. I ran an ethernet wire from the orbi09 router to the office, and connected another orbi RBR50 to it in AP mode and a wireless satellite. This created another network labeled orbi08 at that location. I see the router's wired connected in my device list, and the satellite is listed as wired connection also, which is incorrect. Is this how it is suppose to look, or do I have some settings wrong? I appreciate any help I can get. 

Thanks,

Dan 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7
orbira
Apprentice

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Wired Connection to detached office

Instead of adding another router in wired office, I would just add another satellite over wired connection and pair it with the router in your home (unless your intention is to have a separate wifi network for your office and a separate wifi network for your home).

Message 2 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Agree with @orbira -- why add another Router and make things more complicated?  The entire purpose of Orbi is to solve problems like you have with distances.

The fact that you ran an ethernet cable is a huge bonus.... put an RBS-50 in there and call it good.  

Your scenario is exactly what I had here... a distant outbuilding -- so I have an RBR-50 and two hard wired RBS-50s which work flawlessly (thanks to heroes in this community who have given excellent advice!)

Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Agree with @orbira and @Chuck_M. You could have just added two satellites instead of a router and a satellite.

The catch is that you will need to use Daisy Chain for the other satellite to work wirelessly in daisy chain mode with the wired satellite which currently seems to cause issues sometimes. You could also wire the second satellite to the first satellite as alternative if possible.

Now that you already have a router and a satellite in the remote office, and since the router is set in AP mode and is wired to your home Orbi system you will see all devices connected to the office Orbi (the satellite as well as all other devices) as wired since the Home Orbi can only see the wired router from the Office Orbi and nothing more, since practically these are two different systems.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with the recommendation to simply connect the remote satellite to the Orbi router using ethernet cable.  HOWEVER, the question asked was why the remote satellite shows up as "wired".  I have an old Nighthawk R7000 in my garage set up as an access point to provide signal to some WiFi cameras that are too far from my Orbi for 5G to have a strong signal.  EVERYTHING on the Nighthawk shows up as "Wired" on my Attached Devices screen.  e.g. they are coming "through the wire" to the Orbi.  Likewise, if I look on the Nighthawk, it shows everything on my Orbi as "wired".

Message 5 of 7
Bhood
Aspirant

But I have found is if you take the Orbi Satellite sink it wirelessly in the house all close together and then move the one or be out to where you have a wired connection and press the send button is on the router and on the satellite you’ll be able to get one seamless Mash from your remote location the office to the rest of the house in an AP mode
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

I think the wired/wireless indicators are not as reliable or as instantaneous as we would like them.  Example:  A friend was just over at my place to watch football and had their Iphone with them.... Orbi reported that phone as Wired.  It seems like it sometimes takes a while for the characteristics of devices to populate.... but the good news is the routing functions are all working properly.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7