Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Wired Satellite Outdoor

CDR-NJ
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Wired Satellite Outdoor

Hello, I'm hapily using a RBR50 and RBS50 with a wired backhaul to cover 3 levels of my home and "decent" outdoor coverare too.  I want to improve the outdoor wifi signal for a greenhouse and pool area in the rear.  I have cat6E available and prefer to use a wired backhaul to retain a single SSID.  What products would work in an enviroment that could range in temp from -10F to 110F and deal with high humidity (summer days) yet dry (inside a shed).  I'm looking to be cost effective and I considered a plug in satellite on an exterior wall to give a boost, but I hate wall watrs.

thanks

Corrado

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

NG only has a RBS50Y thats is there out door Satellite system. I don't believe it's wire supporting. Check the spec sheet to be sure....

Message 2 of 7
CDR-NJ
Tutor

thanks i'm aware of the outdoor orbi its wireless only which doesnt help much.  I'm looking for something easy and wired vs a build my own solution.

Message 3 of 7
CDR-NJ
Tutor

By the way, a outdoor orbi that was POE powered would be a kick-butt solution, as would an indoor satellite.  Most modern / new home installs would drool for this.

Message 4 of 7
JudeMills
Tutor

I also would like to use an Orbi Satellite inside a greenhouse with the same temp and humidity factors and wondering if the RBS50 could withstand the rigors.  I need to connect an POE Lorex camera to it, so the RBS50Y won't work since it doesn't not have any connectivity features.  Netgear REALLY needs to make a tough outdoor satellite that has POE/jacks in it!!!

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@CDR-NJ wrote:

Hello, I'm happily using a RBR50 and RBS50 with a wired backhaul to cover 3 levels of my home and "decent" outdoor coverare too.  I want to improve the outdoor wifi signal for a greenhouse and pool area in the rear.  I have cat6E available and prefer to use a wired backhaul to retain a single SSID.  What products would work in an enviroment that could range in temp from -10F to 110F and deal with high humidity (summer days) yet dry (inside a shed).  I'm looking to be cost effective and I considered a plug in satellite on an exterior wall to give a boost, but I hate wall warts.

The RBS50Y is probably the solution.

Alas, the requirements are too high.

• If "single SSID" means "devices will roam automatically between the inside Orbi WiFi and outdoor WiFi, then the only solution is an Orbi satellite.  (If, instead, the requirement is to use the same SSID/Password and manually switch networks, then "the sky's the limit." An access point from any vendor will do that.)
  • Ethernet connect. Both the outdoor rated RBS50Y and the "wall wart" RBS30W have no ethernet jacks, so Cat6 cable is not an option for them.
  • -10F to 110F exceeds the environmental specs for every Orbi except the RBS50Y (-20C to 50C), 90% humidity non-condensing.
Message 6 of 7
CDR-NJ
Tutor

Thanks and yes I do want a transparent wifi experience for my family without having to log into another network.  This leave me stuck with trying to reposition my router / satellite, or finding some other solution (wired / wireless).    

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7