Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Working Strange?

Orbi RBR50 Working Strange?

So I have an Orbi setup with 2 satellites. My "office" location satellite seems to act "off." Despite showing under Attached Devices fine (Backhaul Status GOOD)

Browsing attached devices however takes 5-10 minutes. I also noticed that if I go to firmware update it lists that specific satellite like 50 times. And if I go to Network Map on the iPhone app it wont show my satellites, dispite them "working."

The reason I am attributing the attached device delay to this satellite is because I just did a factory reset on the satellite and all went back to normal for about 2 hours, now its doing it again. Any thoughts on what would even cause this? My satellites are hardwired.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you access the RBS web page to see what FW version is loaded on it? It should be same version as whats loaded on the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 12

@FURRYe38 , all sats and router are on V2.7.3.22.

Home is roughly 2900sq feet. Sat 1 is about 45' away in the garage. Router is in center of home and sat 2 is roughly 20' away. Both sats are hardwired though, so not sure that matters right? All are on the same level of the house (ground floor).

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close, wired or wireless. 

Are the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

Message 4 of 12

So having the satellite less than 30’ would cause those issues? That doesn’t seem to make much sense. It also worked seemingly fine for 4 months until recently.

I have a switch between the router and sats, the same switch for both.
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 6 of 12

Netgear GS316. Also, thank you.
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen odd problems with some switches being used in between the RBR and RBS. Mainly having to do with either managed switches or unmanaged switches with Green Ethernet features. I've seen and tested some myself. Also Odd arp storm events happening when RBS are first connected to switches on recent FW versions. 

The GS316 is this feature:

Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az)

I would test each RBS while directly connected to the RBR with out the switch in between to check for different behaviors. 

Message 8 of 12

If I factory reset my full set (router + sats) is it not advisable to import saved settings (I have a lot of tweaks i am sure)? I took the one "bad" Orbi out of the equation and it wont even remove anymore. I have had it powered off for a day, i disconnected in from settings 5 times and it keeps showing up.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to factory reset and setup from scratch. Seems like something is in a bad state on the RBR and RBS and they need to be reset. 

Message 10 of 12

Thanks again @FURRYe38. I decided to move my Router to the basement, about the same distance away but also now a level below. In doing this I am able to hook both satellites up to the router directly, not through the switch (which really shouldn't matter haha). I also swapped out the satellite in question (I have a 3rd sat in the box).

So far so good, although time will tell if it comes back (it took about 2 hours last time). If it does, I will look into doing a factory reset.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Switches can make a different. Seen odd issues historically with users posing about the various switches they've used. You'd be surprised. 

If the System is working with out the switch in the mix, might be your switch is causing problems. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7