Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - adding an additional router with a different IP address

Tony-Orbi
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 - adding an additional router with a different IP address

I am in the process of adding a small router to run my IoT devices separate from the Orbi wi-fi for security purposes. I have the following configuration. My Ip addresses are 192.168.1.x for the Orbi, and 192.168.4.X for the new router FIOS Quantum Gateway. - | | ORBI. RBR50 (192.168.1.1) --> Satellite | | (ethernet) | | New Router | 192.168.4.1 | wi-fi only Netgear Switch | | | | | | | Computers are hardwired and also WI-Fi. I do not want the 4.x units to be able to see any of the 1.x. but to have access to the internet. So far I can reach the internet form the 4.x and also access any of the units on the 1.x which is not what I need. Please advise. Tony
Message 1 of 4
Tony-Orbi
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 - adding an additional router with a different IP address

Adding a diagram for clarity,

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Why not put the 4.x router behind the FIOS gateway instead of the orbi router. Why do you not want the 4.x devices to see the 1.x devices? 

Message 3 of 4
Tony-Orbi
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,  my small router has only a single ethernet port so I would not be able to put the Orbi behind it, I would have to connect it directly to the FIOS Gateway.  This is not secure.  As for why I do not want the 4.x to see the 1.x it is becasu they are going to be IoT devices and they are not secure.  If I get hacked on the 4.x all they will see will be the IoT and not my computers.

Tony.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7