Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work together

jiac
Guide

Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work together

Our internet provider just installed a new router: ORBI RBR50 at our home and suddenly my Soundtouch Wave music system III is not working anymore. It used to work just fine with the old but now broken router before being replaced by the Orbi. I have already read previous discussions on this and could not find someone who was able to make it work. I am already frustrated as I've spent hours reading and reading and trying out all means and ways to get it to work to ano avail. Please help. Here are some key details:

• I am able to access the router login successfully.
  • 2.4GHz Channel: AUTO
  • 5GHz Channel: 36
  • I have the latest Bose Soundtouch app on all my devices. I have tried countless times to install via wi-fi and usb connection. All failed. They cannot find the speaker.
  • I have directly connected the Soundtouch to the Orbi router via ethernet cable and I was able to make the soundtouch work successfully. However, this is not a solution I'm looking at as the router's location in my apartment is not near where I need to place the soundtouch speaker. I am unable to change this as this is a rented apartment. Besides, I want the soundtouch to be accessible via wifi and not ethernet. I just simply tried if ethernet could work (it did).
  • I have already factory resetted the soundtouch a few times, read all their troubleshooting guides to no avail. The fact that it was working fine with the old router means the Orbi might have an issue with compatibility to the Soundtouch.
  • Firewall is turned off while setting this up

Any other information you might need just let me know. Please help.

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work together

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  This have a built in router? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 & Bose Soundtouch Wave music system III - cannot get them to work together

@jiac wrote:

Our internet provider just installed a new router: ORBI RBR50 at our home and suddenly my Soundtouch Wave music system III is not working anymore. It used to work just fine with the old but now broken router before being replaced by the Orbi. I have already read previous discussions on this and could not find someone who was able to make it work. I am already frustrated as I've spent hours reading and reading and trying out all means and ways to get it to work to ano avail. Please help. Here are some key details:

• I am able to access the router login successfully.
  • 2.4GHz Channel: AUTO
  • 5GHz Channel: 36
  • I have the latest Bose Soundtouch app on all my devices. I have tried countless times to install via wi-fi and usb connection. All failed. They cannot find the speaker.
  • I have directly connected the Soundtouch to the Orbi router via ethernet cable and I was able to make the soundtouch work successfully. However, this is not a solution I'm looking at as the router's location in my apartment is not near where I need to place the soundtouch speaker. I am unable to change this as this is a rented apartment. Besides, I want the soundtouch to be accessible via wifi and not ethernet. I just simply tried if ethernet could work (it did).
  • I have already factory resetted the soundtouch a few times, read all their troubleshooting guides to no avail. The fact that it was working fine with the old router means the Orbi might have an issue with compatibility to the Soundtouch.
  • Firewall is turned off while setting this up

Any other information you might need just let me know. Please help.

Thank you.

- I could not find any wifi specs for the product that you provided a link for in your post..

- Does this system operate on 2.4 as well as 5 GHz bands?

- What is the procedure that you follow to connect the system to wifi, I could not see this in the link you provided? In which stage during the setup do you see issues? 

Message 3 of 11
jiac
Guide

- I could not find any wifi specs for the product that you provided a link for in your post..

From Bose's website, I got this:

You will need:

• Broadband internet with 802.11b/g/n* compatible Wi-Fi network (*802.11n is compatible with SoundTouch 20/30 Series III and SoundTouch 10 systems)
  • Your network name and password
  • iOS or Android device, or a Windows or Mac computer on the same network as your SoundTouch system

And from another guide from bose:

If your SoundTouch system is not Bluetooth-enabled, do not set your router to "N-Only / 5 GHz Only" mode. Use 2.4 GHz or 2.4 / 5 GHz mode (sometimes called “B/G/N” or “Mixed” mode)

- Does this system operate on 2.4 as well as 5 GHz bands?

I'm not sure. I think I can infer from the information above that it does.

- What is the procedure that you follow to connect the system to wifi, I could not see this in the link you provided? In which stage during the setup do you see issues?

I have done the following:

• tried connecting Bose soundtouch via USB cable setup (from my computer to Bose soundtouch device) - failed, several times
  • tried using the alternative Bose soundtouch setup via soundtouch app, both from an ipad and from my android mobile device - failed several times, cannot see the device
  • tried connecting via ethernet cable directly from Orbi router to Bose Soundtouch device - succeeded, Soundtouch worked and I could wirelessly play music while it was connected via ethernet cable to router. However, this is just a temporary solution as mentioned - router and soundtouch locations are different and far apart from each other. This is not a feasible solution for me. I need it to be wireless connected.

Previously with my old (but now broken) router, I had no issues. So I am inferring the problem must be some incompatibility with the Orbi and Bose systems. I am currently trying to update my Orbi RBR50 router firmware to the latest version but it is also failing. See my other post regarding this separate issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR-RBS50-Firmware-Update-firmware-file-is-incorrect/m-p/...

Still stumped.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Have you tried to first reset the SoundTouch (On the back of the SoundTouch, press and hold the control button for about 10 seconds) and then connect your computer to the wifi from the SoundTouch, when connected you can continue with the setup steps here:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/connecting-to-a-wi-fi-network-alt-setup-wave-st.html

Message 5 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

What is the version of firmware the new Orbi and satellite are running?

Message 6 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@jiac Any progress with this? Have you tried the latest suggestions? 🙂

Message 7 of 11
jiac
Guide

@ekhalil wrote:

Have you tried to first reset the SoundTouch (On the back of the SoundTouch, press and hold the control button for about 10 seconds) and then connect your computer to the wifi from the SoundTouch, when connected you can continue with the setup steps here:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/connecting-to-a-wi-fi-network-alt-setup-wave-st.html

Hello @ekhalil,

Yes - I have reset the SoundTouch several times, including factory reset. It doesn't work. The Bose Soundtouch also doesn't show on the screen what it's supposed to show: "SETUP SEE INSTRUCTIONS"

Message 8 of 11
jiac
Guide

@Chuck_M wrote:

What is the version of firmware the new Orbi and satellite are running?

@Chuck_M:

Current firmware I have for the Orbi RBR50 Router only (I don't have satellites) is V2.1.4.16_1.1.23.

I am also having issues updating the firmware. I posted on a separate thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR-RBS50-Firmware-Update-firmware-file-is-incorrect/m-p/...

Message 9 of 11
jiac
Guide

@ekhalil wrote:

@jiac Any progress with this? Have you tried the latest suggestions? 🙂

@ekhalil yes, I tried again. Failed again. 😞 Sorry, was away for the weekend.

Message 10 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@jiac wrote:

@ekhalil yes, I tried again. Failed again. 😞 Sorry, was away for the weekend.

But I see that the procedure you followed is different than what is described in this alternate setup, can you please give it a try?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7