Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 & PoE unmanaged switch

getst8frm
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 & PoE unmanaged switch

I'm installing my Orbi RBR50 router with (2) RBS50 satellites in a new home & detached garage. My detached garage is about 150 feet from the networking closet in my home where the Orbi router is. I wired my home and detached garage with Cat6A during the building process. There are multiple direct burial Cat6a wires, in conduit, buried between the house and detached garage. I plan on putting an Orbi satellite in the detached garage & connecting it to the Orbi router via Cat6a. I've read of others having backhaul connection problems using non- PoE switches. If I use a PoE switch, should  I use a 15.4 watt or 30 watt per port switch? Since my current switch is an unmanaged, 24 port, non-PoE, would I need to buy a 24 port, unmanaged, PoE switch or could I just buy a unmanaged, 5 port PoE switch and connect it to my current 24 port switch?  If I can use a 5 port PoE switch, in what order should it be placed? Before the 24 port non-PoE switch or after? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not tech savvy. Thank you for your help!!!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 & PoE unmanaged switch

Orbi cannot be powered using Power over Ethernet (PoE).  It has a power supply that must be connected to an electrical outlet.  So, PoE "switches" cannot be used to connect an Orbi satellite to the Orbi router.

Sorry if I have misread the question.

Message 2 of 11
getst8frm
Aspirant

Sorry , I may not have posted the questions clearly. The Orbi router and the Orbi satellites are plugged into 110v outlets.  I'm asking about a PoE switch between the Orbi router and the Orbi satellites which are connected with Cat6a wire between the Orbi router and the Orbi satellites. Do I need to have power running through the Cat6a wire which connects the Orbi satellites to the Orbi router?

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Absolutely not. I do not know if PoE will damage an Orbi, but it is not needed. I (personally) would not connect PoE to an Orbi even on a dare.
Message 4 of 11
Jetdrive
Luminary

I have a POE switch connecting the ethernet backhaul of two satellites and it works just fine. Of course you still need to power the Orbi via it's power supply.

Message 5 of 11
getst8frm
Aspirant

Could you please read the questions in my above 2 post & help with my situation? Thanks!!!
Message 6 of 11
Jetdrive
Luminary

Since Orbi's don't support POE, you don't need power on the ethernet. Or leave it on and the Orbi just won't use it. 

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

It seems like everyone who has commented has the same opinion. PoE is not required when connecting an Orbi. It is a waste on money, but will do no harm.

Any assertion that people report problems when using a non-PoE switch is totally false. You will see concerns about "managed" switches causing issues in some situations.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If the PoE switch being used is inthe mix. I would highly recommend NOT enabling the PoE feature on this switch. Use it just as a switch. 

Also two other factors that may cuase the RBR and RBS to not work right with this switch in the middle is IGMP and Green Ethernet. If this switch has IGMP features, DISABLE this if this switch has a web page to manage. Green ethernet is a feature thats hard coded into FW and HW so most of the time this can't be disabled. You can try the switch out and see if the RBS syncs and works correctly with the switch in the middle, however it the RBS fails to sync or work properly, you'll need to replace this switch with a Non manged and Non Green Ethernet featured switch. 

Use the 24 port non PoE/non-managed switch then buy a small port non manged non PoE switch. You can daisy chain them and put the RBS at the end of the chain.  

Swithes I have tested are D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP Pro Curve 1400 and 1810  series switches. These are non managed and non PoE/Green Ethernet switches.

@getst8frm wrote:
Could you please read the questions in my above 2 post & help with my situation? Thanks!!!

Message 9 of 11
Jetdrive
Luminary

He said this was an unmanaged switch.
See post number 1.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks. 

Message 11 of 11