Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 & networked Brother MFC Printer

timwat
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 & networked Brother MFC Printer

I recently installed Orbi RBR50 & two RBS50. Wifi performance excellent. Now trying to connect and share Brother MFC 7860DW printer across wireless to all networked devices. Was painless and simple on the Apple AirPort Extreme that the Orbi replaced.

Tried using one of the Ethernet ports on the RBR50 router. It does not appear as a connected device, cannot find printer on network. 

Next, tried connecting via USB to RBR50 and using ReadyShare application. Now, while the printer can be found as a "nearby connected device" in application printing menus, it still won't print documents.

Can someone advise how to connect a networkable printer, that worked perfectly with AirPort Extreme, and functions standalone...to an Orbi RBK50 system? Is there a way to configure this printer on the network using the Ethernet connection? Does ReadyShare actually work and function on Orbi at this point in time?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

USB will definitely not work.  Connecting the printer via the ethernet jack on the Orbi base or the Orbi satellite should work just fine.  Did you reset the network config on the Brother printer and start network setup from scratch?

Can you test various clients trying to find the printer, connected to the Orbi wireless and also by ethernet?  Both should work but these answers can pinpoint what's not working in your setup.

Message 2 of 4
RogerSC
Virtuoso

As suggested, going through the full configuration process on the Brother printer should make it work fine using an ethernet connection. With my Epson printer, when I switched it from wifi to ethernet directly from the router, I had to re-install the printer driver and go through the whole configuration process again to get the printer to work on the ethernet connection. But after all that it works just fine. It doesn't matter if the ethernet port that you use is on the Orbi router or satellite, all those ports are just ethernet as far as the clients plugged into them know.

Message 3 of 4
timwat
Aspirant

Thanks to both of you for your responses! I've gotten it working, and interestingly, was able to get BOTH USB and Ethernet working at the same time.

USB required finding and installing the ReadyShare driver, at which point I was able to print from my wifi connected macbook.

Ethernet worked after simply invoking the printer's "reset network settings to default" in the printer's menu. 

At which point I had two instances of the printer available, each with a different address (I'm assuming they were MAC addresses?). So I disconnected the USB connection, kept the Ethernet connection into the router, and the Brother printer shows up in the Orbilogin application as a wired connection device.

Again, thanks for your help and pointers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7