Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 and 6acat cable

zulumike99
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 and 6acat cable

Hello Netgear Community:

The Orbi50 I am using came with a 5e flat wire cable that connects to the cable modem. I plan on upgrading the cable from the computer to the Orbi50 router in my network to 6a cat. Should I also upgrade the Orbi50 cable to the cable modem from 5e to 6a to receive any maximum benefit?   Regards, Mike        

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A is large inwall cabling, not meant for patching in between two devices. CAT6 is recommended for patch cables in between LAN devices. CAT6 and 6A is rated for 10Gb speeds, when and if we ever see that. Smiley Wink

Some in box lan cables are not made well. I recommend you get good quality LAN cabling from online retailers. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@zulumike99 wrote:

Should I also upgrade the Orbi50 cable to the cable modem from 5e to 6a to receive any maximum benefit?   Regards, Mike        

For the short distance between Orbi and modem, the cable Netgear provided in the box is fine.  The cables are simply not long enough for the "special twists" in Cat6 cable to have any effect.  On the other hand, Cat6 cables are really inexpensive and come in lots of lengths.  I recently got Cat6 cables in 1ft, 2ft, 3ft, 5ft, 7ft, 10ft. and reduced my "cable clutter" a lot by tailoring the cable to the distance it needs to reach.

Message 3 of 6
zulumike99
Aspirant

Thanks for your response and for sharing your insights.

Message 4 of 6
zulumike99
Aspirant

Thanks a bunch! I certainly will take what you said under serious consideration.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements