Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 bandwidth control

Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 bandwidth control

I have a 1GB fiber connection both ways. When I first set this up I got the speeds I should but it seems after a while devices drop to getting 200/200 each way whether hard wired or on wireless. If I go into traffic monitor and enable it then it goes back to normal for a little while then back to the 200/200. If I turn if off it then goes back to normal for a little while then it's back to the 200/200. It's as if there is some bandwidth allocation setting somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I want this to be at full speeds on all devices. I am on the latest firmware for the RBR and the RBS and all my tests are mainly on a wired desktop which of course is capable of these speeds. When I had the linksys setup I seen 800/800 or more each time on the same device. 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't use Traffic Meter, Access Controls. These seem to slow down Orbi for some reason when on 1G ISP services. 

Message 2 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

I do turn off the traffic meter but I do have the access control on even though for some reason it doesn't work on all sites. I put in 3 so far and only 1 is blocked. 

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to setup IP address reservations for devices you put in the access control list if you use it.

Message 4 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

I have a few devices that have reservation but I have the access control list turned off now to see if that speeds it up. So far it hasn't. Hopefully they will fix this I really like how well it works but if it slows down this much I may have to rethink having this setup. I should be getting 800/800 plus on a wired connection all the time. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I think once access controls are enabled, and then disabled, this won't fix the speed issue. You'll need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch again. This time, don't enable Traffic Meter or Access Controls. 

Message 6 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

I think I'll return it before I factory reset it and set it up from scratch. It took me to long to get it configured the way I want it and my devices named and what not. I'll call Netgear support but my guess is they won't be any help
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, but the reset will fix what your seeing. Been known for a while that Traffic Meter and Access controls slow the speed on a 1Gb ISP service. I don't use either of these on mine and i'm on a 1Gb service. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

What about a reset and restore settings? I'll see what support says. For the price of this I shouldn't have to
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If your restore settings include any traffic metter and access controls that were enabled, this would not fix. You can try though. Best to reset and setup from scratch. Don't enable TM or AC. Set a new backup configuration to file that doesn't have any TM or AC enabled. 

Message 10 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

Support was what I thought it would be. First they did blame the ISP then blamed the device so had to prove that it wasn't. Then they came back had me change the MTU settings from 1500 to 1492 and I did change that and it went back breifly to the 800/800 range (5 minutes or less) then it's back to normal. They advised I wait 2-3 hours and if I'm still having the issue to contact them again. I asked what would the next steps be and they said to update the firmware which it is up to date but they just said to update it anyway. And after that they want me to downgrade the firmware to 2.3.5.30. I really hope it works but if not then back to my Linksys setup. 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

That's odd why I don't at least all the time. Internet speed tests from the web interface are always 850/850 on up. It's a shame if I can't get it to work because I do like this device and I got a really good deal on it. Normally reseting it isn't a huge deal but then I have to rename 25 devices and find what is what because it just showed Apple device or Samsung device not the names of it and that took a while along with all my amazon devices. 

Message 13 of 14
Grandmstrbud
Aspirant

I did try to factory reset it and it worked for about 5 minutes the fast speeds then back down to 200 or so. I gave up plugged in my Linksys EA7300 and back to the 900 range I was. I didn't need this but read a lot of good things about it and figured why not. I like some of the features like VPN and the parental controls but the parental controls didn't even work. It would block one site and that was it the rest I had in there it allowed. Maybe I got a bad unit it's hard to say but after spending 2 hours the first day with issues setting it up and a few more hours messing with it I am not impressed at all. At first I was really liking it and told a few co-workers about it but oh well. Maybe I'll try the Linksys Velop device but mayber I better give up on the mesh systems all together. Had the Google Next WiFi but didn't like the fact it had 1 ethernet port and didn't have the option to hard wire the other units and the lack of some feature as well and being forced to use an app. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7