Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 bricked during update to 2.3.5.30

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi RBR50 bricked during update to 2.3.5.30

Router was on firmware 2.3.1.60. I downloaded the latest firmware update, 2.3.5.30, and via Ethernet cable. Router was performing the update and got stuck for a very long time. The router was unresponsive. The power green light is solid and no ring light on top. Unable to get router into recovery mode...green light stays solid green.

I tried hard reset and it was unresponsive as well. Tried 30-30-30 and no luck. Unable to perform TFTP because when I plugged one end to PC and other end to RBR50 the computer doesn't recognize it's plugged in to a router or network. The network icon has an X.

Tried this method and it doesn't work either. https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Ran out of options already. Router is out of warranty so no RMA. This is a solid brick???
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBR50 bricked during update to 2.3.5.30

@Retired_Member wrote:
Router was on firmware 2.3.1.60. I downloaded the latest firmware update, 2.3.5.30,

I guess you won't be doing any manual updates again...??

Possibly step the FW back?  With those numbers I can't tell if you went back or forward.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:
Router was on firmware 2.3.1.60. .....

Are you sure that the Router was on 2.3.1.60? When was the last time you updated the Router? If you were on 2.1.x.x then you needed a stepping stone (2.2.1.210) to go to 2.3.5.30, this can be a possible reason for the "hanging status" that you're seeing.

@Retired_Member wrote:
I tried hard reset and it was unresponsive as well. ......

So what happens if you stick a pin in the Router's reset button for 15 seconds? Won't the power LED start blincking amber?

Message 3 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you use Windows built in TFTP or NGs TFTP program? 

@Retired_Member wrote:
Router was on firmware 2.3.1.60. I downloaded the latest firmware update, 2.3.5.30, and via Ethernet cable. Router was performing the update and got stuck for a very long time. The router was unresponsive. The power green light is solid and no ring light on top. Unable to get router into recovery mode...green light stays solid green.

I tried hard reset and it was unresponsive as well. Tried 30-30-30 and no luck. Unable to perform TFTP because when I plugged one end to PC and other end to RBR50 the computer doesn't recognize it's plugged in to a router or network. The network icon has an X.

Tried this method and it doesn't work either. https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Ran out of options already. Router is out of warranty so no RMA. This is a solid brick???

Message 4 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBR50 is not responding to anything so I can't even go back to the previous firmware. The green power light is steady solid.
Message 5 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

And pressing the reset button for only 15 seconds doesn't result in any top ring LED coming on? 

Message 6 of 36
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

If the regular factory reset process doesn't work, @michaelkenward described an undocumented way to get an Orbi to factory reset:

Press paperclip in reset hole for 30 seconds
Keep pressing paperclip while removing power
Keep pressing paperclip for another 30 seconds while apply power

Is this the 30-30-30 that people speak of? If so, "My Bad"

Message 7 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:
Router was on firmware 2.3.1.60. I downloaded the latest firmware update, 2.3.5.30,

I guess you won't be doing any manual updates again...??

Possibly step the FW back?  With those numbers I can't tell if you went back or forward.  Good luck.

I am unable to proceed forward or even go back to the original firmware.

Message 8 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ekhalil wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Are you sure that the Router was on 2.3.1.60? When was the last time you updated the Router? If you were on 2.1.x.x then you needed a stepping stone (2.2.1.210) to go to 2.3.5.30, this can be a possible reason for the "hanging status" that you're seeing.

@Retired_Member wrote:
I tried hard reset and it was unresponsive as well. ......

So what happens if you stick a pin in the Router's reset button for 15 seconds? Won't the power LED start blincking amber?

Nothing happens when I poked the reset hole with a paperclip.  Tried holding it for a minute and still nothing...done it several times already.  LED remains as a solid green light.  It doesn't turn to amber on the RBR50.  The RBS50 do turn to Amber so I'm guess the satellite isn't bricked.

Message 9 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you use Windows built in TFTP or NGs TFTP program? 

@Retired_Member wrote:

I actually tried both Windows TFTP and NG TFTP.  There is no response from the router.  

Message 10 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And pressing the reset button for only 15 seconds doesn't result in any top ring LED coming on? 

Nope...no ring light at all.  The power ON green light remains green.  Seems like the router is not communicating and not responding to any commands.

Message 11 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

If the regular factory reset process doesn't work, @michaelkenward described an undocumented way to get an Orbi to factory reset:

Press paperclip in reset hole for 30 seconds
Keep pressing paperclip while removing power
Keep pressing paperclip for another 30 seconds while apply power

Is this the 30-30-30 that people speak of? If so, "My Bad"

Thanks for your input though...yes this is the 30-30-30 method that people mentioned on other threads.  Done it and nothing happens. 

Message 12 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ekhalil wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yes, I am 100% sure my router was on 2.3.1.60 because I read the important part of the firmware update before I proceeded with the router.  I even double checked to the current firmware yesterday.

Message 13 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that the RBR is just bricked. Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seems that the RBR is just bricked. Smiley Sad

Thanks for suggestions.  I guess it's bricked.  Time to look for a new router.

Message 15 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Might see if Amazon or eBay have some used ones if you still want to keep with Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 36
MSomi
Initiate

Hello,

If you still have not resolved your issue and if you still have your router, try this.

I was following the TFTP guide with the Netgear client: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

after step 5 I did the 30/30/30 factory reset. First I held the reset button until the power LED was blinking 30 times. Afterwards, when still holding the reset button pressed, I disconnected the power cable and waited 30 seconds. Finally when still holding the reset button pressed, I connected the power cable back. Now the power LED was red and I still held the reset button until the power LED was blinking 30 times. When I released the reset button, the power LED was blinking by itself, and I proceeded from step 8 in the TFTP guide.

The router is working fine now, hope this helps you or someone else in need.

Message 17 of 36
Lucas88
Aspirant

I have had the same problem with my RBR50.I tried everything :30/30/30 reset, TFTP client...nothing worked. I noticed one thing :

Every time I pushed the reset button with the pin and connected the power, the power LED turn solid green,then solid red( which means the firmware is corrupted) and flashing red 7 times and solid green after that.

Does it mean my RBR50 totally bricked ?

Any suggests?

Message 18 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support to see what your options are. 

@Lucas88 wrote:

I have had the same problem with my RBR50.I tried everything :30/30/30 reset, TFTP client...nothing worked. I noticed one thing :

Every time I pushed the reset button with the pin and connected the power, the power LED turn solid green,then solid red( which means the firmware is corrupted) and flashing red 7 times and solid green after that.

Does it mean my RBR50 totally bricked ?

Any suggests?

Message 19 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

what changed between message 16 to 19???

Message 20 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The situation I had was a bit different. I didn’t get any lights to come on no matter which button to press....except for the power light which was on. Other than that there was absolutely no response from RBR50. I have since recycled the RBR50 but kept the satellite unit which I was able to reuse as an additional satellite when I bought a new set.

I am now afraid of doing updates on the RBK50. I will wait a month later to do it in case the update is bad.
Message 21 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:
The situation I had was a bit different. I didn’t get any lights to come on no matter which button to press....except for the power light which was on. Other than that there was absolutely no response from RBR50. I have since recycled the RBR50 but kept the satellite unit which I was able to reuse as an additional satellite when I bought a new set.

I am now afraid of doing updates on the RBK50. I will wait a month later to do it in case the update is bad.

it's best NOT to perform manual updates at all.   

Message 22 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

The best way to do updates is to do manual download of FW files from NGs support site. Use a wired PC and connect it directly to the RBS and update the RBS first then connect to the RBR and load the FW lastly on the RBR using the unpacked .zip FW files. Use IE11, Firefox or Opera to do the updates thru the RBSs/RBRs web pages. Theres been some bad experiences coming from users using the auto update FW feature on the RBRs web page. Use the manual method seen on the FW update feature page. 

I recommend after the RBS and RBR are updated, factory reset the system and setup from scratch. Been doing this way for a long time. Have not bricked any of my routers or satellites using this process. Works well and is a safter method. 

There is newer FW out there. However if your system is working, let it go for now. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

Message 23 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The best way to do manual updates is NOT.      Leave it alone.  That's all you had to say.   Rattling on is not required 

Message 24 of 36
Lucas88
Aspirant

so... what is the point to have your RBR50 updated? To my understanding, the updates are supposed to fix the problems, not to create the problems. NETGEAR should have some way to unbrick the RBR50 or a secure method to update the firmware. 

I have been with NetGear since WNDR3700 to NighthawkAC1900. I never had any problems before, but RBR50. I think it is time I should try some other brands.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7