Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 broadcasting its own network as an access point?

Johnstac
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 broadcasting its own network as an access point?

I installed this or be purchased from Costco about a year ago.  It has worked perfectly but recently I tried to connect to my TiVo  and was unable to do so.  In a TiVo forum, it was suggested that I may have a double NAT situation.  Someone provided some documentation  on changing Orbi from a router to an access point. That worked successfully no problem.  Here is my concern. When I changed Orbi to an access point, I went back to the Frontier router and turned on the broadcasting of its SSID.  I thought that once Orbi became an access point it would cease to broadcast ORBI01, etc.  I thought it would begin broadcasting the frontier routers network. What I would like to know is whether I can turn off the frontier routers broadcasting of its SSID and use the ORBI01 that is still being broadcast by Orbi. Thanks for any help with this.

Message 1 of 4
Johnstac
Aspirant

One other thing I wanted to point out was that in this article: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-as-an-access-point/m-p/1797957#M70129

It mentions that the guest network will not work over an access point.  Right now though, Orbi  as an access point is displaying both ORBI01 and also the guest network I created originally when it was being used as a router.  I connected to the guest network just to see if it worked and it did in fact connect.  I am confused.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

The difference between "router" and "access point" is that access points do not perform certain tasks:  They do not assign IP addresses to devices.  They do not filter or route traffic.  They do not set up VPN's.  (a whole bunch of things).  What they continue to do is broadcast a WiFi name (SSID) on both 2.4G and 5G and support a guest network (on both 2.4G and 5G)  Yes, Orbi provides a Guest network even if it is an access point.  (Whether you want a guest network or not is for you to decide.  I have decide I don't need or want one.)

If you have set the Orbi to be an access point, then you should turn off the WiFi on your Frontier router.  They will compete for radio bandwidth.  You purchased the Orbi to get expanded WiFi, so you should let the Orbi do what it is designed to do.

Another question is whether you prefer the Frontier or the Orbi to be your "only router".  Some people prefer the "router functions" of their internet gateway and put the Orbi into access mode.  Other people prefer the router functions of the Orbi and put their internet gateway into "modem only" or "passthrough" mode.  This is a decision that is (literally) up to you.  Orbi works either way.  Having WiFi from both of them, however, is not a good idea.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

@Johnstac wrote:

I installed this or be purchased from Costco about a year ago.  It has worked perfectly but recently I tried to connect to my TiVo  and was unable to do so.  In a TiVo forum, it was suggested that I may have a double NAT situation.  Someone provided some documentation  on changing Orbi from a router to an access point. That worked successfully no problem.  Here is my concern. When I changed Orbi to an access point, I went back to the Frontier router and turned on the broadcasting of its SSID.  I thought that once Orbi became an access point it would cease to broadcast ORBI01, etc.  I thought it would begin broadcasting the frontier routers network. What I would like to know is whether I can turn off the frontier routers broadcasting of its SSID and use the ORBI01 that is still being broadcast by Orbi. Thanks for any help with this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7