Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - connect satellite through Ethernet

jlandttc
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 - connect satellite through Ethernet

I recently switched my provider and would like to connect my satellite router through the switch instead of directly to the base.  When I look on the appi it shows 1 satellite but not connected.  Previously my connection was

provider device -> base ---- hardlined ----> satellite (first image)

now I would like to go (3rd image)

provider device -> switch ---+--> base
                                             -----> satellite.

Clarifying:  Using the images on this pagehttps://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Is this possible?  Do I need to change something in my configuration?  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - connect satellite through Ethernet

Alas, Orbi routers expect to communicate with Orbi satellites through the router LAN port, not the router WAN port.

The switch needs to be between an Orbi LAN port and the satellites.  i.e. "behind" the Orbi.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 6
jlandttc
Aspirant

Thanks. That makes sense so the base still needs to be first inline.  I have reverted back to my old configuration as I think it makes more sense to hard not go through the switch since it is not necessary in this instance.

Message 4 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@jlandttc wrote:

now I would like to go (3rd image)

provider device -> switch ---+--> base
                                             -----> satellite.

The other flaw with this network design is your Orbi network is downstream from the switch, so anything connected to the switch (like the satellite) will not be part of the Orbi network.  It's best if you put all your devices, switches, etc. downstream of the Orbi and have only the Orbi device connected to your internet modem/whatever.

Message 5 of 6
Wiscer
Aspirant

Well, I think it still works if the satellite is upstream of the router. 

For example, I have an integrated DSL modem/router.  Out of the LAN ports on the back of that device I run one wire to my Orbi router WAN port, and another one to the Orbi Satellite port.

While pulling up the Attached Devices on the Orbi console shows the satellite is DISCONNECTED, I know for a fact that there are devices which are connected to that satellite and operating normally because they have an internet connection to that wifi network name and these devices do NOT show up on the Orbi Attached Devices list.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to work this way or if it is unsupported and may not work in the future.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7