Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 connects to Internet but devices don't

jkevincook
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 connects to Internet but devices don't

Thanks in advance for any community responses and assistance!

Summary:

My Orbi connects to the internet, but devices (both wired and wireless) cannot connect to the internet.  This is NOT a double NAT problem because my modem is a Netgear CM1200 modem only and not a router.

Symptoms:

1. Any device, wired or wireless, can happily connect to the Orbi.
  2. No device, wired or wireless, can get through the Orbi to the internet.

Notes:

1. Tracert gets me from any device to the Orbi and dies at the Orbi
  2. I have performed a factory reset and new Orbi install multiple times
  3. I have reset the modem
  4. Orbi firmware has been updated to the latest
  5. Orbi admin interface (browser) and orbi app (mobile device) both work fine
    1. Both indicate a good connection to the internet.
    2. Speed test on both indicates 900+ Mbps
  6. If I set the Orbi as an access point and use an old router between the Orbi and the modem, internet access is unfettered for all devices.  Reverting back to Orbi as router (and of course removing the old router) returns to the lack of access problem.  Using the Orbi as an AP is not an option because 

I want to use the Orbi as a router (Parental controls, Armor security and other features are only available as a router.)  Plus I prefer the simpler network topology.

Again, Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
jkevincook
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 @Mstrbig 

Really interesting: 

I telnet-ed into the Orbi and noticed that resolv.conf was NULL.  I editied it so that it contained working DNS, rebooted and viola! 

System works!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

Can you log into the Orbi to check settings to make sure you are not blocking? Unless the Orbi is defective, or you are blocking devices, or you need to flush DNS, forget networks, etc., on the devices, there is no reason why you should get to the net through the Orbi router.

Who is your ISP and what equipment did they provide?
What is the current firmware on your Orbi device?
What device is your Orbi router connected to?
Try these settings if you can get into the router:
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 2 of 16
jkevincook
Aspirant

thanks for the reply @Mstrbig 

Firmware is 2.7.0.70.

I can log in to the admin interface and there is no explicit filtering or blocking.

My ISP is Comcast.  Topology is Modem (Netgear CM1200) ->Orbi Router->backhaul to switch->satellites and other hardwired devices.

I've tried it with and without the switch and with and without hardwired devices and backhauls.

I did flush the DNS - no joy.

I try the other things you suggest then will reply here.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

Go to orbilogin.com > advanced > Internet setup and share what you see there

Then go to Lan Setup and share what you see there

Message 4 of 16
Mikey94025
Hero

@jkevincook wrote:

My ISP is Comcast.  Topology is Modem (Netgear CM1200) ->Orbi Router->backhaul to switch->satellites and other hardwired devices.

We should figure out if DNS is broken or internet connectivity.  From one of your Orbi network devices, can you ping the Orbi IP and can you ping the Comcast DNS IP?  If you try "ping www.amazon.com" on a device do you get a "DNS not found" error or "can't connect to xyz.amazonaws.com  [23.20.239.12]"?

After factory reset, what settings if any have you changed from the defaults?  It's very surprising that you have no internet connectivity even for hardwired devices to the RBR.  Other than faulty Orbi hardware, which is rare but possible, bad firmware or bad config settings would have affected many more customers in a similar fashion and we'd have similar reports (but I don't recall widespread device outage problems but where the Orbi RBR reports successful internet connection).

Message 5 of 16
jkevincook
Aspirant

Thanks @Mikey94025 for your ideas.  

When I performed the factory reset, I stepped through each setting and compared it with the user manual to be sure that things were really being reset.  They are.

However, even after a factory reset the wireless settings are retained - is that normal or is that an indicator that perhaps the factory settings are not actually being reset?

Tracert and Ping all stop at the Orbi with the exception of the Comcast gateway IP.  Comcast (and Google and OpenDNS) pings all fail.  

Also important to note that when I originally purchased the Orbi, it worked perfectly for several weeks before connecdtions began to drop.  Now no device can connect when the Orbi is in Router Mode.  

Also - I did flush the DNS - no joy.  Plus even NEW devices also fail to connect to the internet throught the Orbi in Router Mode.

Message 6 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

Can you post what I asked for?
Message 7 of 16
jkevincook
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 @Mstrbig 

Thanks so much to both of you for your wisdom here.

I'm attaching a pdf with a bunch of screen shots that might better illustrate what's going on.  All of this was done in router mode.  I have to switch back to AP mode and put my old slow Zyxel router back into the mix to get back on line.

The MAC address of the router and the MAC address of the internet port are different.  Is that normal or could that be the problem?  Also the logs show a bunch of malicious attacks which tells me that the orbi can see incoming requests from the WAN.

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try doing this, With a wired PC, Use the ERASE button on the RBRs web page found under Advanced Tab/Admistration/Backup Settings. When you do this, power OFF the CM modem for 1 minute then back ON. 

Use a wired PC and web browser and walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR found at 192.168.1.1. Use IE11, Edge or Firefox. 

I would skip adding the RBS for now. Lets make sure the RBR gets connected first. 

Setup a new SSID name and pass word for now. Make it something simple. You can change this later. 

After the setup wizard completes, do not enable Armor or Circle. 

Check internet services with the wired PC to see if any web sites are accessible. 

Then take one wireless device and connect it to the SSID name and PW. 

See if this device gets connected and gets to any web sites or open a simple app that requires internet services to use it. Ooklas instllable speed test app is a good app to use. 

Let us know your findings. 

@jkevincook wrote: 

When I performed the factory reset, I stepped through each setting and compared it with the user manual to be sure that things were really being reset.  They are.

However, even after a factory reset the wireless settings are retained - is that normal or is that an indicator that perhaps the factory settings are not actually being reset?

Message 9 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@jkevincook wrote:

@Mikey94025 @Mstrbig 

Thanks so much to both of you for your wisdom here.

I'm attaching a pdf with a bunch of screen shots that might better illustrate what's going on.  All of this was done in router mode.  I have to switch back to AP mode and put my old slow Zyxel router back into the mix to get back on line.

The MAC address of the router and the MAC address of the internet port are different.  Is that normal or could that be the problem?  Also the logs show a bunch of malicious attacks which tells me that the orbi can see incoming requests from the WAN.

On your page 3, there should be assigned DNS servers populated under the Domanin Name Server (DNS) Address. Yours is blank.

For testing purposes put the following Google Public DNS servers there and see if you get internet:

Message 10 of 16
Mikey94025
Hero

Very peculiar - I did not see anything obviously wrong in your PDF.  I don't know how the Orbi is saying 's speed test is working and how it's getting a WAN IP, but maybe it is Comcast blocking your switching of the modem.  I use Comcast myself and incur short periods of connection failures when changing from bridge mode or whatever (but again, different from what you're reporting because my Orbi fails its DHCP request to get a WAN IP).

I use 1-800-COMCAST automated system to reset and reboot my modem whenever making changes to what's in my house and connected to the Comcast IP.  You can also go to https://www.xfinity.com/ , Account Settings, Services, Manage Internet.  Does your CM1200 show up under Devices?  If so, is there a Restart Modem link under it and what happens if you click it and wait for a bit then restart your Orbi?

Message 11 of 16
jkevincook
Aspirant

@Mstrbig @Mikey94025 

Thanks again for your attention here.

I've put in Specific DNS servers - Not sure why they are not showing in the screen shot. 

Similarly I have done a modem reset - but that does give me an idea. 

I'm going to ask Comcast to re-provision the modem.

I won't be able to reply for a couple of days...  

Message 12 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@jkevincook wrote:

@Mstrbig @Mikey94025 

Thanks again for your attention here.

I've put in Specific DNS servers - Not sure why they are not showing in the screen shot. 

Similarly I have done a modem reset - but that does give me an idea. 

I'm going to ask Comcast to re-provision the modem.

I won't be able to reply for a couple of days...  

You may have found your problem.Try letting the ISP prove the DNS servers. Many users have had multiple issues using 3rd party DNS servers. And others have had no issues.

Message 13 of 16
jkevincook
Aspirant

Thanks @Mikey94025  @Mstrbig for all your assistance but I am going to assume I have a bad unit.

I've set  the orbi to use ISP provided DNS and specified google and open DNS.  No joy.

I used telnet to get into the Orbi command line and from there I could ping and Traceroute with no errors.

Also called Xfnity support and had them check traffic with my old router and the Orbi as AP and with the Orbi only as the router.  As expected they saw zero traffic when the orbi was in router mode unless I was initiating traffic from the Orbi CLI.

I must assume that the orbi hardware is bad.  Asking Netgear for a replacement.  

Sad

Message 14 of 16
jkevincook
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 @Mstrbig 

Really interesting: 

I telnet-ed into the Orbi and noticed that resolv.conf was NULL.  I editied it so that it contained working DNS, rebooted and viola! 

System works!

Message 15 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@jkevincook wrote:

@Mikey94025 @Mstrbig 

Really interesting: 

System works!

Now that is odd. That should be automatically updated after a factory update, DNS servers and IP address changes, etc.. You may want to report this as it could be a firmware issue.

I'm glad you figured it out and I'm saving your solution in case I run accross the same situation.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7