Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 daisy chain not working good with RBS50Y

computersteve
Apprentice

Orbi RBR50 daisy chain not working good with RBS50Y

I have an RBK53 system.. Both my RBS50 satellites (Ethernet Backhauled) are closer to the RBS50Y (Outdoor Satellite).  Still the RBS50Y decides to connect to the RBR50 (orbi router) instead of daisy chaining off the close RBS50 satellite resulting in a Poor connection status. Is there a way to force the RBS50Y to connect to the closest satellite? Also are any others experiencing this problem with daisy chaining? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Did you check to see if daisy chaining is turned on or off?

Have you reset the RBS50Y and tried resetting it back up?

Message 2 of 9
computersteve
Apprentice

Yeah, its enabled under Advanced Wireless (meaning it has the check on).. I have also tried factory reset it just still produces the same result. 

Message 3 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

I just read another forum post where the solution is this:

Backup the RBR50 router. Hard reset the RBR50 router, the outdoor RBS50Y satellite and the indoor RBS50 satellites. After the router reset is complete, setup the RBR50 router. Skip the satellite setup. After RBR50 is complete go to add a satellite page and add the outdoor satellite (RBS50Y) first. Then add the RBS50 satellites after the RBS50Y is configured. Sounds to me like maybe there's a little bug where the RBS50Y has issues when other satellites are connected first, as I read this in several forums.

Message 4 of 9
Dd852
Luminary

The only solution I've ever found to my daisy chain issues was ... patience! In other words, keep the satellite that you want to daisy chain OFF until the satelite you want it to chain to is fuly up and running. And I mean fully. Wait until you can attach to it with a device, not just "on" and listed on the app. It needs to be fully working. Then turn the remaining satellite ON.  The satelites seem programmed to connect to the base if at all possible - even on a poor ignal - and only daisy chain when the other satellite is clearly and inambiguously the better. If you turn it on too soon and it can't connect to the satelite, it will default to the base and stay there

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@computersteve wrote:

I have an RBK53 system.. Both my RBS50 satellites (Ethernet Backhauled) are closer to the RBS50Y (Outdoor Satellite).  Still the RBS50Y decides to connect to the RBR50 (orbi router) instead of daisy chaining off the close RBS50 satellite resulting in a Poor connection status. Is there a way to force the RBS50Y to connect to the closest satellite? Also are any others experiencing this problem with daisy chaining? 

Message 6 of 9
Zakariyya
Aspirant

Hey Computer Steve,

I am having the exact same issue as you.  Did you ever figure it out?

Message 7 of 9
computersteve
Apprentice

No. The only way I fixed it was moving the RBR (Router) closer to the outdoor Orbi. This seems like a bug @netgear is never gonna fix.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7