Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 doesnt pick up when external IP address changes

davrod
Guide

Orbi RBR50 doesnt pick up when external IP address changes

Hi

This morning i noticed that my external IP address changed, however the Orbi didnt pick up on it. DynDNS knows, and so does Marc's Updater running on one of my pc's. But the Orbi itself still thinks its on the previous IP address. That means some stuff, like accessing internal Pc's from outside the network via DynDNS, such as VNC etc, are not working

Rebooting the router will probably solve it - but surely i shouldnt have to do that everytime the external IP address changes?

Router is running latest firmware

If anyone could provide any insight into this that would be great

Cheers

David

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
davrod
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 doesnt pick up when external IP address changes

All

All - FYI - i finally found out what the issue was

Aussie Broadband has a system in place that doesnt match up the true external IP address with the one used as "external" in the router - which is why they dont match.

This was not the case when i was with Optus, they matched by default.

Aussie Broadband explained that they have a default system for IP addresses that has that effect, so i asked them to switch that system off for me - and it fixed it - the two IP's are the same now

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Possible the modem wasn't correctly passing thru or the modem didn't reboot or update it's WAN IP table. 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@davrod wrote:

This morning i noticed that my external IP address changed, however the Orbi didnt pick up on it. DynDNS knows, and so does Marc's Updater running on one of my pc's. But the Orbi itself still thinks its on the previous IP address. That means some stuff, like accessing internal Pc's from outside the network via DynDNS, such as VNC etc, are not working

This is indeed puzzling.  My Orbi carries on an almost constant dialog with No-IP.com.  If DynDNS knows the public IP has changed, my impression has been that it knows because the Orbi told it.

Perhaps the web page showing the old IP was "cached" somehow and not refreshed when the IP changed?

No, there should be no need to reboot the Orbi when public IP address changes.

Message 3 of 12
davrod
Guide

Thanks for your reply

Orbi firmware is latest: V2.5.1.8

Modem is Arris CM8200B

Last week i swapped from Optus NBN HFC to Aussie Broadband NBN HFC

I have rebooted both devices

www.grc.com (Shields Up) and all other sources say my external address is 119.18.0.209

Orbi says its 100.92.213.173

David

Message 4 of 12
davrod
Guide

Oh and one more thing:

DynDNS is correct - it is showing the correct external address - 119.18.0.209

But Orbi is not updating itself

David

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@davrod wrote:

Thanks for your reply

Modem is Arris CM8200B

www.grc.com (Shields Up) and all other sources say my external address is 119.18.0.209

David

Message 6 of 12
davrod
Guide

All

All - FYI - i finally found out what the issue was

Aussie Broadband has a system in place that doesnt match up the true external IP address with the one used as "external" in the router - which is why they dont match.

This was not the case when i was with Optus, they matched by default.

Aussie Broadband explained that they have a default system for IP addresses that has that effect, so i asked them to switch that system off for me - and it fixed it - the two IP's are the same now

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. Thank you for letting us know. 

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@davrod wrote:

Thanks for your reply

Modem is Arris CM8200B

David

Keep an eye on your firmware. There are known issues.  

Message 9 of 12
davrod
Guide

All

re firmware in the Orbi - just to clear this up - this was NOT an Orbi firmware issue. it was an issue with the Internet provider. However i cannot praise Aussie Broadband enough, they have local support and are most obliging, as opposed to Optus who right now cant even be contacted.

re backups, yes i'm right into them. As a software developer I use scripted robocopy backups, WinSCP for FTP, and BackBlaze for offsite backup. I always have backup data in at least 3 places, 2 internal and 1 offsite, and all internal backup data is across at least 2 identical hard drives in case one fails. This of course includes exported config from the orbi (the export of which unfortunately can't be scripted, but the backups can).

If anyone wants advice on getting automated/scripted failsafe backups set up, i'm happy to help. 

Cheers

David

Message 10 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ok.  I don't know how long you been on V2.5.1.8 but there are known issues.  I'd keep an eye on it. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. You are correct, this isn't a FW issue. ISP related problem. Would be seen on any version of FW. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@davrod wrote:

All

re firmware in the Orbi - just to clear this up - this was NOT an Orbi firmware issue. it was an issue with the Internet provider. However i cannot praise Aussie Broadband enough, they have local support and are most obliging, as opposed to Optus who right now cant even be contacted.

re backups, yes i'm right into them. As a software developer I use scripted robocopy backups, WinSCP for FTP, and BackBlaze for offsite backup. I always have backup data in at least 3 places, 2 internal and 1 offsite, and all internal backup data is across at least 2 identical hard drives in case one fails. This of course includes exported config from the orbi (the export of which unfortunately can't be scripted, but the backups can).

If anyone wants advice on getting automated/scripted failsafe backups set up, i'm happy to help. 

Cheers

David

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7