Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 dropping WiFi only since Sunday 28/3/21

Mont999
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 dropping WiFi only since Sunday 28/3/21

Hello,

Any help would be much appreciated.

My RBR50 has started dropping the Wifi only since Sunday everyday at roughly the same 12hour intervals srangley enough, around 06:50 & 18:50 everyday. The wired connection stays up all the time.

RBR50 connected from Virgin Media Hub 3 in modem mode.

Firmware version V2.7.2.104 , The WiFi only restores once I've reset the Orbi. I've tried resetting the Hub3 only and waiting but the Wifi doesn't restore.

I've been using this setup ok for over a year with no issues, nothing has changed on setup .

wifi.PNG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 dropping WiFi only since Sunday 28/3/21

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@alanbruno wrote:

I've been having this same problem, however I haven't seen anyone mention that this WiFi connection dropout has been happening since updating the Orbi's firmware, as is my case. I received an email from Netgear on Sunday (the 28th) telling me "We've Enhanced Your Product's Security. Please Update to the Latest Firmware." I did so--up to version 2.7.2.104--and ever since then we've lost WiFi connection at least twice a day.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Needless to say, WiFi dropouts are untenable with us working from home. Is it possible to go back to the previous firmware? We had no such problems before this "update."

thx

Mac OS 11.2.3

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 21

All Replies
Retired0ldman
Aspirant

I've had the same issue, I can use the internet if I use a VPN, but without it nothing. Have to keep re-booting to get it to work. No issues at all until the latest update. DNS Server issues I thing according to the Windows 10 Help

Message 2 of 21
Diablo2003
Initiate

Same here. All wired have internet, wireless is very intermittent. TV's streaming and roku are good. Cell phones and computers are connected, no internet.
Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mont999 wrote:

Hello,

Any help would be much appreciated.

My RBR50 has started dropping the Wifi only since Sunday everyday at roughly the same 12hour intervals srangley enough, around 06:50 & 18:50 everyday. The wired connection stays up all the time.

RBR50 connected from Virgin Media Hub 3 in modem mode.

Firmware version V2.7.2.104 , The WiFi only restores once I've reset the Orbi. I've tried resetting the Hub3 only and waiting but the Wifi doesn't restore.

I've been using this setup ok for over a year with no issues, nothing has changed on setup .

Could you please clarify:

• WiFi devices actually lose the connection to the Orbi, or
  • They remain "connected" but have no internet?

When this happens, is there a device wired to the Orbi that can display the Orbi web interface Attached Devices page?

Message 4 of 21
Mont999
Tutor

Yes, the devices show connected to the Wifi but not passing internet traffic. My wired device is work laptop on VPN connection.
Message 5 of 21
alanbruno
Guide

I've been having this same problem, however I haven't seen anyone mention that this WiFi connection dropout has been happening since updating the Orbi's firmware, as is my case. I received an email from Netgear on Sunday (the 28th) telling me "We've Enhanced Your Product's Security. Please Update to the Latest Firmware." I did so--up to version 2.7.2.104--and ever since then we've lost WiFi connection at least twice a day.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Needless to say, WiFi dropouts are untenable with us working from home. Is it possible to go back to the previous firmware? We had no such problems before this "update."

thx

Mac OS 11.2.3

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@alanbruno wrote:

thx

Mac OS 11.2.3

Message 7 of 21
alanbruno
Guide

Okee-doke. I disabled the traffic meter. We'll see how things go.

Thx!

Message 8 of 21
Steve847
Aspirant

Same issue here with ny RBR50 but the WiFi drops appear to occur at 24 hour intervals, around  10:00 PM at night. I was hoping this was a problem with the latest firmware update but, even if it is, checking for Firmware updates now doesn't work and results in an error message.

Netgear has really screwed the pooch with this one.

Message 9 of 21
alanbruno
Guide

Okay, well that didn’t work. In fact it’s exponentially worse. Our WiFi has dropped out four times in the four-odd hours since I’d deactivated it. As soon as I get this cat off my lap I will be returning to my computer and reactivating it in hopes of reducing the dropout rate back to once a day or so...until
Netgear decides to help us.

ab
Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@alanbruno wrote:
Okay, well that didn’t work. In fact it’s exponentially worse. Our WiFi has dropped out four times in the four-odd hours since I’d deactivated it. As soon as I get this cat off my lap I will be returning to my computer and reactivating it in hopes of reducing the dropout rate back to once a day or so...until
Netgear decides to help us.

ab

Message 11 of 21
alanbruno
Guide

Hi--

So many questions! First off, I apologize for that last post of mine. I wasn't finished with it but somehow it was sent. Secondly, I was off looking into the traffic meter again when it was sent. In that time the WiFi dropped out twice! BUT, when I finally got back to the traffic meter I found it still activated! All I can tell is that I hadn't click "Apply" when I first deactivated it; I merely closed the window. So I'm hoping NOW ithat I clicked "apply" it's truly deactivated because the dropout rate was really increasing.

Anyway, for you rquestions, in order of their apearance:

--A reset/setup from scratch has NOT been performed

--I'm confused about the satellite question. The router's firmware is the issue here, no? My computer is talking to the router (at an unobstructed 10 foot distance). Beyond that, are you saying AT LEAST 30 feet should separate the RBR and RBS? Yet you say "depending upon the building materials" Do you mean those that are between the RBR and RBS? And if it's, say, a brick wall they should be closer?

--2.4Ghz is on "Auto. 5Ghz is "48"...dunno what that means

--The "Other Networks" menu shows several other neworks but I can't imagine who they are. I mean, we're in a single family home on a block with only single families so I can't imagine we're picking up the whole block's networks.

That about covers it. The WiFi is still activesince I "APPLIED" the traffic meter disablement.

Back to you

ab

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let try hoping for TM that if it's now disable, see if this helps with your problem first. 

Message 13 of 21
Diablo2003
Initiate

It worked for me too. I also forgot the 'apply. I applied the settings and so far it is perfect again.

Thank you for the advice.
Message 14 of 21
Mont999
Tutor

Turned off the traffic meter too after catching up on post, all good for me so far for 2 plus hours , thanks for replies

Message 15 of 21
SimonUK
Aspirant

I had the same thing but a friend/colleague helped me to a partial solution. I do not use the Traffic Meter so the other work-around wasn't applicable. It seems to be the daylight savings. Go into the Administor console, disable Daylight Savings and set the timezone on an hour ahead. Has worked reliably for over 24 hours now.

Message 16 of 21
Mont999
Tutor

Of course, would make sense with problem starting on Sunday

Message 17 of 21
alanbruno
Guide

Hey--

~12 hours since I disabled the TM (and hit "apply" 😛). So far, so good. Fingers crossed. My wife has an *extremely* important Zoom call this afternoon and her WiFi card doesn't cut it, as you can prolly imagine.

Thx again

ab

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to safe off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping on the RBR. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@alanbruno wrote:

Hey--

~12 hours since I disabled the TM (and hit "apply" 😛). So far, so good. Fingers crossed. My wife has an *extremely* important Zoom call this afternoon and her WiFi card doesn't cut it, as you can prolly imagine.

Thx again

ab

Message 19 of 21
alanbruno
Guide

I will...as soon as you tell me where it is! I am not the most highly astute tech dude around, tho I try. Which settings would these be and what is their location? Back somewhere near the TM, I'm guessing.

thx...again!

ab

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced tab/Administration/Backup Setting.

@alanbruno wrote:

I will...as soon as you tell me where it is! I am not the most highly astute tech dude around, tho I try. Which settings would these be and what is their location? Back somewhere near the TM, I'm guessing.

thx...again!

ab

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7