Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 dropping internet connection constantly

Eladleb
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply, the ISP modem is NETGEAR VVG2000 and yes, it is set to bridge mode, connected via cable to the Orbi router.

Before the switch to Orbi a few days ago, I used a Linksys router (with the same modem) and it was working well (no disconnections). Hence my focus is on the the Orbi system as this was the only component I had changed.

I’ll try to shut them both down to sync and keep my fingers crossed.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 26 of 43
Eladleb
Aspirant

Spoiler
Spoiler
Router change

Thanks for the quick reply, the ISP modem is NETGEAR VVG2000 and yes, it is set to bridge mode, connected via cable to the Orbi router.

Before the switch to Orbi a few days ago, I used a Linksys router (with the same modem) and it was working well (no disconnections). Hence my focus is on the the Orbi system as this was the only component I had changed.

Message 27 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the modem in router mode as well...

Also your modem is about 8 years old and also only supports 100Mb on the RJ45 ports. The Orbi is newer and supports 1000mb on both WAN and LAN ports. I presume your Linksys router was from same timeframe? If so, probably why it worked with this modem. 

You might consider getting into a newer modem...

@Eladleb wrote:

Message 28 of 43
Eladleb
Aspirant

My previous router was linksys EA7500, it was just 2 years old and it never disconnected from the modem. It's not a speed issue nor a signal issue. I'm always able to access the RBR50's settings page and hit the connect button, which keeps the connection live for a random period until it disconnects.

There has to be something wrong with either the firmware or the hardware of the RBR50... I've also seen other people complain about it so it doesn't seem far fetched.

My current plan is to use the EA7500 to access the internet and connect it to the RBR50 which will hopefully be able to maintain that connection but I'm very disappointed with having to deal with such a basic issue having bought an expensive system...

Message 29 of 43
Hditter
Guide

I have the same problem. I followed all advice in this forum, but none solved the issue. I am running the Orbi on firmware V2.2.1.210 in router mode, behind a UPC connect box in bridge mode. I have the internet drops in both, wired and WLAN connected devices. When I configure the chain in reverse order, the cable modem in router mode and the Orbi in AP mode, everything works fine, but unfortunately in AP mode I cannot use features auch as parental control or scheduled access, which for me are essential. I have tried all proposed remedies, MTU size, channel, etc. However the fact that I am experiencing these outages on my wired Apple TV with a static IP address is a clear indication that the flaw is not limited to WLAN. Help is highly appreciated. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 30 of 43
ekhalil
Master

What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Do you have any wired mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?
Message 31 of 43
Hditter
Guide

My wired devices are iMac, Apple TV, TV and a Linn Streamer. 

Message 32 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@Hditter wrote:

My wired devices are iMac, Apple TV, TV and a Linn Streamer. 

Thanks for the information.

I looked in the UPC Connect Box Manual. How did you se the box into bridged mode? I guess that you're using Modem Mode setting? If yes then it can be that this mode is sometimes -somehow- overridden? Just a theory!

For testing purposes I would like to test setting the box back to Router mode and instead just disable (in the UPC box) Wifi, DHCP and enabled DMZ forrwarding to Orbi IP address.

Message 33 of 43
Hditter
Guide

Correct, it is Modem mode. My guessing goes in a similar direction, as the Orbi in AP mode shows no weakness, neither in WLAN nor in LAN connections, hence somehow the flaw lies in the connection between the modem and Orbi. I tried already once your proposed approach, but did not succeed, I will give it again a try. In my current setup the UPC box has the address 192.168.1.1 and the Orbi 192.168.1.2 on the LAN side, and a 84.x.x.x. address, which it got from the UPC on the internet side. Just to be sure, as in the UPC box I have to enter an IP address in the DMZ settings. would that be the 192. address or the 84. address?

Message 34 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@Hditter wrote:

Correct, it is Modem mode. My guessing goes in a similar direction, as the Orbi in AP mode shows no weakness, neither in WLAN nor in LAN connections, hence somehow the flaw lies in the connection between the modem and Orbi. I tried already once your proposed approach, but did not succeed, I will give it again a try. In my current setup the UPC box has the address 192.168.1.1 and the Orbi 192.168.1.2 on the LAN side, and a 84.x.x.x. address, which it got from the UPC on the internet side. Just to be sure, as in the UPC box I have to enter an IP address in the DMZ settings. would that be the 192. address or the 84. address?

Just to be sure, those addresses are the ones you see in the UPC box, right?

The Orbi address for the DMZ forwarding would be 192.168.1.2 in this case.

Message 35 of 43
Hditter
Guide

Back with UPC connect box in router mode, DMZ set to 192.168.1.2 . I had some hickups with the correct settings in the Orbi, but now it seems to work. In the first place I had left the setting "Internet IP address" to  "get dynamically from ISP", which for some reasons did not work. Then I set it up as static IP Adress with 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 as Gateway (the UPC Box LAN IF). I received an error message but the router restarted and reconfigured its DHCP range to 10.0.0.x with now the Router address being 10.0.0.1 and the Interaddress of the router being 192.168.2. It seems to work, though. I have now a bit of an unfamiliar internal IP address range but that is not bothering me too much, as long as the router works now as it should. I will have to keep an eye on it over the next days, but a first test looked promising. Thank you very much, for your support! I will post in the next days, if this solution was the ultimate remedy for my Orbi problems.   

Message 36 of 43
Clopezdc
Aspirant

Did you find a solution?
Message 37 of 43
Hditter
Guide

Yes I found a solution! Since I changed my configuration as outlined in my previous post all is running stable, no more internet drops. The flaw was in the setup of the Orbi as router and the ISP modem in bridge mode, which according to best practice should be the proper set-up. In my case however, or I should better say in the case of UPC Unity Media being the ISP provider and the modem being a UPC connect box, the bridge mode does not really work as it should. Unitymedia switched some time ago to IPv6 and when set to bridge mode, it kind of tunnels IPv6 to IP4, which seems not work with the Orbi. The remedy was, to operate the UPC connect box in router mode, but to turn off Wirelss and DHCP and to set-up a DMZ. The Orbi still operates in router mode as does the Connect box. The Orbi is setup with a manually set IP address of the DMZ zone and the IP address of the UPC connect box as gateway. In this configuration, it works flawless since almost a week now. Problem solved! I should mention here, that for me it was important to keep the Orbi in router mode, as I need the features such as scheduled operation and parental control. If someone does not need these features, there is a simpler solution, such as to run Orbi in AP mode and to use the ISP modem in router mode. 

Message 38 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Glad that the solution is working for you. Thanks for the update.
Message 39 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

@Clopezdc wrote:
Did you find a solution?

Message 40 of 43
walder
Guide

Has the solution of the DMZ held up for you?

Message 41 of 43
gr8sho
Virtuoso

It’s always better to setup the host device with a bridged, DMZ, or IP passthrough connection for the Orbi. Always.
Avoids unnecessary double NAT condition.
Message 42 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@walder wrote:

Has the solution of the DMZ held up for you?

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7