Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 firmware question

jomelia
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 firmware question

Greetings, I have an Orbi RBR50 currently with firmware V2.7.2.104. It's been dropping my connection a number of times over the last week so I thought I'd check for a firmware update. On Netgear's support site the latest available is 2.7.3.22. When I do a Check for Update on both the Orbi web app and the iOS app, it comes back "No new firmware version available." So is 2.7.3.22 a beta? Is it safe to update this manually? I've had this for a year with no problems at all. Now it starts dropping me. Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 firmware question

@jomelia wrote:

Greetings, I have an Orbi RBR50 currently with firmware V2.7.2.104. It's been dropping my connection a number of times over the last week so I thought I'd check for a firmware update. On Netgear's support site the latest available is 2.7.3.22. When I do a Check for Update on both the Orbi web app and the iOS app, it comes back "No new firmware version available." So is 2.7.3.22 a beta? Is it safe to update this manually? I've had this for a year with no problems at all. Now it starts dropping me. Thanks in advance.

v2.7.3.22 is not a beta.  Netgear seems to have a practice of making the newest firmware available on the support web site where people who like to "live on the edge" can find it and try it out.  If there are no reports of serious problems, then they activate the process of informing users of the new firmware.

My practice is to "wait and see".  If 3-4 weeks go by and the reports are positive, I may update.  If the forum fills up with complaints, I wait longer.

Is the WiFi connection dropping or the Internet connection?

Message 2 of 7
jomelia
Aspirant

Thanks I will wait.

The dropouts seem to be wifi, not internet, in that my connections are restored after an Orbi reboot. Each time my cable modem seemed fine.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@jomelia wrote:

Message 4 of 7
jomelia
Aspirant

2.4 is set for auto, 5ghz set on 48.

I live in a wood and cinderblock house, main unit on ground floor 10 feet from my Mac, satelite on 2nd floor approx 25-35 feet awat through a ceiling of 2x6 joists.

Aside from my own networks, I can see one neighbor's wifi plus a local community network.

My cable provider is Altice/Optimum and the modem is an Arris TM1602.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I try a factory reset and power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON and setup the RBR from scratch. See if this changes any behaviors.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

IF the problem seems to continue, you can manually update to v22 if you want too. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

I would leave OFF Armor and Circle and Traffic Meter after the reset as well. See how the system does. 

Message 6 of 7
mpsamuels
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Netgear seems to have a practice of making the newest firmware available on the support web site where people who like to "live on the edge" can find it and try it out.  If there are no reports of serious problems, then they activate the process of informing users of the new firmware.

That, to me at least, is the very definition of a beta! Netgear are allowing those who are willing to live on the 'cutting edge' to try the software out before it's made widely available to all.

If they were confident in their own internal testing methods Netgear would surely be happy to release any FW updates to all users at the same time, not make it available to those willing to go through the manual update process first and then only make it available via auto-update if there are no complaints on these forums.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7