Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 firmware update V2.0.0.74 fail

Stray
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 firmware update V2.0.0.74 fail

I have V1.4.0.34 firmware installed on the Router and satelite (was loaded when purchased).  There is a new version of the firmware 2.0.0.04 that is available on line.  The only way to get this installed is via a manual update.  I tried the satelite first (as suggested) but it failed with a message saying the firmware file is incorrect.  I then tried it on the Router and it worked fine.  I tried the satelite again, no luck, same message.  I rebooted both systems and tried to update the satelite again, same result, firmware file incorrect.  It is correct as it is the same one that updated the Router.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be wonderful !

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR50 firmware update V2.0.0.74 fail

You can't use the RBR firmware file to update the Satellite.  It needs the similar file named RBS.  RBR=Router.  RBS=Satellite.

Two different upgrade firmware files.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

@Stray wrote:

It is correct as it is the same one that updated the Router.

This is precisely your problem. There is a different firmware file for the satellite and the router.  

Message 2 of 4
loomis1975
Luminary

You can't use the RBR firmware file to update the Satellite.  It needs the similar file named RBS.  RBR=Router.  RBS=Satellite.

Two different upgrade firmware files.

Message 3 of 4
Stray
Aspirant

Team Shaw and Loomis !

Well done !  Both Router and Satelite are updated to the latest firmware !!

Greatly appreciate your help with this - I didn't get the subtlety that R was for Router and S was for Satelite in the firmware update page.  I thought it was for a different brand of Orbi (and yes, of course it is !

Now I can go troubleshoot something different with it - just have to try a few things to get the satelite to once again be regcognised by the Router

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7