Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 firmware update problems

cheep
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 firmware update problems

I got an email about a firmware update to v2.3.5.30. I'm currently running v2.3.1.60, and via the app I clicked on "Check for Updates" as instructed. The app ran for c.15 minutes and seemed to be hung up. So I closed it and reopened it, then clicked again on "Check for Updates." Got a message saying "There was a problem checking firmware update." So I logged into my account from my desktop and navigated to the page to download the firmware update. The img file was downloaded, but when I try to run it, I get the error "The following disk images couldn't be opened" and "image not recognized". Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 firmware update problems

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You can manually download the FW files for your RBR and RBS from NG download web page and install them manually. Please update the RBS first before updating the RBR. 

IF your not having any problems you can keep what loaded and continue to use the system as is. 

@cheep wrote:
I got an email about a firmware update to v2.3.5.30. I'm currently running v2.3.1.60, and via the app I clicked on "Check for Updates" as instructed. The app ran for c.15 minutes and seemed to be hung up. So I closed it and reopened it, then clicked again on "Check for Updates." Got a message saying "There was a problem checking firmware update." So I logged into my account from my desktop and navigated to the page to download the firmware update. The img file was downloaded, but when I try to run it, I get the error "The following disk images couldn't be opened" and "image not recognized". Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19

All Replies
dede1301
Guide

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually download the FW files for your RBR and RBS from NG download web page and install them manually. Please update the RBS first before updating the RBR. 

IF your not having any problems you can keep what loaded and continue to use the system as is. 

@cheep wrote:

Message 3 of 19
dede1301
Guide

Model: Dual Band, CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 4 of 19
cheep
Tutor

Thanks!  I've got it worked out now.  I just wasn't properly logged into the orbilogin.com website.  Once there I was able to install the firmware via the automated system.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 19
conker89
Aspirant

I have this issue also, but not sure how to remedy, have attempted via the app as per the suggestion of the email but get the response "There was a problem checking firmware update"

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually download the FW files for your RBR and RBS from NG download web page and install them manually using a PC and web browser. Please update the RBS first before updating the RBR. 

@conker89 wrote:

I have this issue also, but not sure how to remedy, have attempted via the app as per the suggestion of the email but get the response "There was a problem checking firmware update"

Message 8 of 19
dede1301
Guide

Some of the recommendations I did not understand so I am afraid I gave up.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 19
cheep
Tutor

Have you tried this:

Go do orbilogin.com, and log in to your account (for me it was username "admin" and my password).

Click on the Advanced tab

Click on the Administration plus sign

Click on "Firmware Update"

It should scan your system to see what firmware you're running on your Router and Satellites.  If it needs to be updated, click on the "Update All" button.  

That's what worked for me, though I had to refresh to confirm that it completed the process (the table didn't update automatically).

Hope that helps.

Message 11 of 19
dede1301
Guide

I don't see any Advanced Tab, etc come up.  Still mo luck.

Message 12 of 19
dede1301
Guide

Hey--I rebooted and tried what you said--I think.  Anyway, I think it updated!

Message 13 of 19
LRichter
Aspirant

I had a similar problem. The app said it did the update but the firmware version did not update. Later the iPad and Android phone app just kept giving me “problem checking for firmware update”. I logged into my orbi via a Windows laptop to attempt a manual install. What I found out was that the app had only updated my satellite orbi but not the router orbi, you can see them separately. I had mismatched firmware versions. I used the auto install option at that point and it updated on the router. All appears to be working fine now.

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi app seem to be having problems doing FW updates. I would not recommend using it. Use a PC and web browser for doing FW updates with the Orbi system. Yes, update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. Seems to be the method that works best. 

Glad you got yours working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@LRichter wrote:

I had a similar problem. The app said it did the update but the firmware version did not update. Later the iPad and Android phone app just kept giving me “problem checking for firmware update”. I logged into my orbi via a Windows laptop to attempt a manual install. What I found out was that the app had only updated my satellite orbi but not the router orbi, you can see them separately. I had mismatched firmware versions. I used the auto install option at that point and it updated on the router. All appears to be working fine now.

Message 15 of 19
Bruinjedi
Aspirant

Hello. I bought my ORBI in February of this year from Costco. I have had no issues but I am curious about the fact that I have not ever been able to update my firmware online or manually. Mine is stuck on version V1.8.0.6. It always says NO NEW FIRMWARE VERSION AVAILABLE. On my app, it has always had the red UPDATE button but never allows me to update. When I go to settings and router, there is no CHECK FOR UPDATES button, just a REBOOT button. Thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 19
conker89
Aspirant

This fixed it. Thanks!

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Review your first post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-says-NO-NEW-FIRMWARE-but-stuck-on-V1-8-0-6/td-p/1802329/...

@Bruinjedi wrote:

Hello. I bought my ORBI in February of this year from Costco. I have had no issues but I am curious about the fact that I have not ever been able to update my firmware online or manually. Mine is stuck on version V1.8.0.6. It always says NO NEW FIRMWARE VERSION AVAILABLE. On my app, it has always had the red UPDATE button but never allows me to update. When I go to settings and router, there is no CHECK FOR UPDATES button, just a REBOOT button. Thoughts?

Message 18 of 19
LRichter
Aspirant

If your firmware version is lower than 2.2...., you have to do the manual update which cannot be done through the app. Here is the article link on netgear https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7