Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 > RBS50 > Ethernet Switch

bry1202
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 > RBS50 > Ethernet Switch

Hello,

I have a 2 node RBR50 > RBS50 satelite mesh network setup in the house.  Going to be adding ethernet to bedrooms this week and ethernet backhaul to RBS50.  I have been searching through this forum and see all sorts of conflicting reports regarding external switches and EEE (Green / 802.3AZ) which literally EVERY switch I can find on Amazon has.  I am planning to use a TP-Link https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/16-port-switch/tl-sg116/ switch off the RBR50 to extend the wired network to the bedrooms.  It seems people on these forums have issues when connecting the RBS50 to a switch off the RBR50 when that switch has EEE.  The problem is every switch I find in my price range (less than $75) comes with this setting on and cannot be disabled.  Would it work if I connected the RBS50 directly to the RBR50 then connected the switch with EEE to the RBR50 LAN port as well and then connected all bedrooms to this switch or will the clients off the switch have issues?

Can someone reccomend a switch that will work either way?

ISP > RBR50 > Switch > RBS50 (all wired clients including RBS50 connected to switch)

ISP > RBR50 > Switch and RBS50 (all wired clients connected to switch and RBS50 connected to RBR50 directly)

Should I scrap the Orbi all together and look at some other mesh or router + AP setup?

Thanks again 🙂

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 > RBS50 > Ethernet Switch

My vote is for option #2.  Connect the switch and the satellite directly to the Orbi router (leaving one ethernet port open).

Connect "everything else" to the switch.

I have a TP-Link switch connected to my Orbi router and everything else in my "comfy nest" connects to the switch. (Even my Powerline link that connects my Tivo's to the internet.)

Message 2 of 12
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I was following a bunch of threads on here too over the summer and saw the same reports when I planning my new home.

I just moved last week and can confirm Ethernet Backhaul will work with Green Ethernet(802.3AZ) with the newer FWs.

Here is my setup.

Modem—> RBR50–>home run cat 6 to patch panel—> Netgear GS108 unmanaged switch —> home run cat 6 to RBS50 —> Netgear GS 108 in entertainment center.
Message 3 of 12
bry1202
Aspirant

Thank you for the update!  I found a Dlink 24 port switch with a toggle to disable EEE (green ethernet) so I purchased that.  It was about double the price of the other switch I was looking at but this one comes with a rack kit so I guess I will keep this one.  Thanks again 🙂

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 12
bry1202
Aspirant

Yeah obviously I have read that article.. I have also read the countless posts of people having issues.  I actually chatted with Orbi/Negear support and they confirmed you cannot have a switch with EEE in between the RBR/RBS.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems. Tried and tested. 

Message 7 of 12
Giorgio82
Aspirant

Late to the party on this one it seems but I can’t find any answers.

I have an Orbi (2 piece) set up and just bought a GS108 switch. I have modem > RBR 50 > GS108 > Cat 6 running from 5 rooms. The WiFi stops working as soon as I plug the GS108 into the RBR 50 and nothing is connecting via Ethernet either. Any ideas?
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Rev version is the GS108? 

There are different Revs and different models? GS108P and others. 

How long are you waiting after you connect the GS108 switch to the RBR? 
is the LED on the front of the switch constantly blinking all the time after it's connected or just randomly? 

What FW do you have loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

Possible that you have a bad Switch of you connect it and nothing else to the swtich. 

Possible you have a bad cable between the RBR and switch. Swap out and test again. 

Message 9 of 12
Giorgio82
Aspirant

GS108v4

10-15 minutes

Blinking all of the time where the router is connected and where one of one of the rooms is connected

Did a firmware update yesterday, it’s on the most current version

——

Now the WiFi is working fine, however the PC where the switch is router to is not receiving a connection, though the light is blinking constantly.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You have a ARP storm happening with this switch/RBS ethernet connected in place if the LEDs on the switch are constantly blinking. Though I've  seen this same thing, the storm should stop after 3 mintutes. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2028357/high...

Possible the switch could be bad or a bad cable is in play. CAT6 LAN cable is recommended. 

Have you done a factory reset on the RBR and RBS after the FW update? 

Message 11 of 12
vajim
Master

factory reset = lost passwords

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements