Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 guest access showing unsecured network

dbarry6
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 guest access showing unsecured network

Hi,

I have the Orbi system with the RBR50 and RBS50 running firmware 2.0.0.74.  I am trying to enable guest mode with a password.  When I select to enable guest mode and choose to have WPA2 password required I get a guest network that requires the password, but there is another guest network with the same name that does not require a password.  I do not understand why the one guest network with no password is being broadcast.  Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.  Thanks.

Dennis 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
nholobo
Initiate

Re: Orbi RBR50 guest access showing unsecured network

Hey Dennis,

I literally just ran into this issue this morning. I'm getting ready to host some people at my house and I wanted to enable the guest feature.  I just ran into the same issue and I got around it with the steps below.  I'll give some background as to how I turned it on to see if it helps make sense of your issue.

Background: 

Rather than grab one of my computers and use the web interface, which I prefer, I used the Orib app on my phone to enable the guest network.  I was seeing two of the same SSIDs (one protected and one open).  The two networks only appeared on my phone.  Two of my computers only saw the protected network.  I turned off the guest network and the SSIDs were still being broadcast.  Now I'm annoyed.  

Steps to solve (I used the web-interface on my laptop exclusively as I suspected an issue with using the mobile app):

1. Turn off Guest Network

2. Reboot the router -- [Advanced > Administration > Router Status > Reboot (under Router Information)]

--The router came back online and no guest networks were picked up by any laptop or my phone--

3. Enabled Guest network with WPA2 password via web interface

--The settings took just fine and I now have one Guest network that is protected.

I hope this helps you out.  Let me know how you fare.

Regards,
nholobo

View solution in original post

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 4

All Replies
nholobo
Initiate

Hey Dennis,

I literally just ran into this issue this morning. I'm getting ready to host some people at my house and I wanted to enable the guest feature.  I just ran into the same issue and I got around it with the steps below.  I'll give some background as to how I turned it on to see if it helps make sense of your issue.

Background: 

Rather than grab one of my computers and use the web interface, which I prefer, I used the Orib app on my phone to enable the guest network.  I was seeing two of the same SSIDs (one protected and one open).  The two networks only appeared on my phone.  Two of my computers only saw the protected network.  I turned off the guest network and the SSIDs were still being broadcast.  Now I'm annoyed.  

Steps to solve (I used the web-interface on my laptop exclusively as I suspected an issue with using the mobile app):

1. Turn off Guest Network

2. Reboot the router -- [Advanced > Administration > Router Status > Reboot (under Router Information)]

--The router came back online and no guest networks were picked up by any laptop or my phone--

3. Enabled Guest network with WPA2 password via web interface

--The settings took just fine and I now have one Guest network that is protected.

I hope this helps you out.  Let me know how you fare.

Regards,
nholobo

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 4
dbarry6
Aspirant

Hi nholobo,

Your suggestion worked perfect.  I can now turn guest access off and on with only having the secured guest access be broadcast.  Thanks again for your help!

Dennis

Message 3 of 4
nholobo
Initiate

Glad I was able to help.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation